USA Dance Nationals 2011--Back to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, May 25, 2010.

1. Griffico

Griffico Member

Just wanted to send a "THANK YOU" out to the organizers, judges, volunteers, and competitors for making this a truly enjoyable weekend. Well-done!
  2. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

The couples were marked by judges into those places. The costume rules are not enforced by judges, but by special people whose job it is to check the costumes. After they were marked, Tal was in place 5. However, since they disqualified, he took last place. The second couple was not disqualified. They were given a warning, and fixed the costume to fit regulation. However, Tal's partner changed costume. Regardless of costume rules, they still would have placed 5th (Tal) and sixth (Denis).
  3. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

sambanada, the final ruling was indeed that the 2nd couple was also disqualified due to a costume violation. I'm not clear on exactly what you mean, but I want to make sure we keep clear the difference between what we feel should have happened, and what the official ruling was in order to avoid confusion. You are right that in this case their placements didn't change, but if only Tal and Vlada had been disqualified, they would have changed.
  4. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Taken from DanceBeat:
    "Valentine & Daria and Rusland & Valeirya were not the only ones getting some unwanted attention from the officials here in USA dance. A number of couples were called up throughout the competition concerning costume infractions and at the end one couple got the axe. Tal Livshits & Vlada Semenova placed fifth overall but were dropped to sixth place due to the costume. Was the costume to revealing? Apparently she had been warned at another event but decided to wear this costume in the final. We will try to get you the scoop soon here online.
    Vlada was not the only lady catching the eye of the expert costume police. At one point Antonina Skobina (& Denys Drozdyuk) who placed sixth but was moved up to fifth was also called about her very sexy outfit. Antonina’s French cut underpants were making the police go wild especially when her buttocks became exposed a few times that I saw. Nevertheless, she seemed to have appeaseed the police at the end since they received no penalty and moved up. In a very strong showing that we will talk about soon here Andrey Tarasov & Laura Kveladze took third overall, only losing this placement in the rumba where they placed fifth. And finally Pasha Pashkov & Daniella Karagach were awarded fourth place (4,5,3,4,4) Giacomo Steccaglia, former Italian Latin Champion, will have a full report here soon as well. "
  5. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing over semantics or over what actually occurred. If the former then I'm sorry if what I wrote was unclear. If the latter, then perhaps we just heard different things? At this point I'm not really sure where the confusion is, maybe someone else can translate it for me ;)

At any rate it was my understanding that yes the judges marked Tal 5th and Denys 6th. But that the final placements of the event are still that Tal got 5th and Denys got 6th (this is the part where the miscommunication occurred and the results announced on Friday night were recanted if that's the right word on Saturday night to reflect that both couples had costume disqualifications).

Again whether this is a complete understanding of what happened I'm not entirely sure...I tend to only listen to the dais announcements that directly impact the deck :p
  6. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Perhaps this article was written before Saturday night??

Now I'm thinking maybe I'm going crazy...I know it was a long weekend but am I totally losing it :confused:
  7. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

It states in the article that the placement was changed, so it must be recent (Sunday section).
  8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

http://www.dancebeat.com/international.aspx?ifbm=cs5
    http://www.dancebeat.com/international.aspx?ifbm=cs2
  9. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

The article was probably written immediately after the results on Friday. The results were not changed back until Saturday "after careful deliberation" according the the announcement.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say sambanada. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

btw, Taken from Dancebeat:
    "As you remember the night before Tal & Vlada had been dropped to sixth place due to a costume that was not appropriate but by Saturday night the decision to penalize them had been changed."
  10. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Perhaps something was lost in translation. I wanted to say:
    I wanted to say that it was the responsibility of the competitors to make sure their costumes were correct.Antonina wore the same dress to semi and final, and was asked to modify, and she did. Vlada was told at qualifyinhg that she cant wear it, and she still chose to wear costume for final. If she was to wear costume for semi, she would be told about it, just like Antonina was. Rules apply to everyone equally.
    The second thing I wanted to say, and this I think is where maybe I am not expressing correctly, is that the results NOW are the same as they were originally, based on judges marks. Tal was 5th, Denys was 6th. This was before costume issue, and it remained same after costume issue was reversed. Another words, costume had nothing to do with final results, since they were exactly as they were before costume pentalty. Does this make more sense?
  11. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Yes. Sorry I wasn't understanding you before. :)
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It would be more accurate to say that the costume DQs did not affect the final placements.
  13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Let's face it, people will always push the limits of the rules. Some divisions have more limits to push than others ;-)
  14. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Thank you :)
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

That's because many dancers have their US Residency information on file from previous years and so don't have to re-show every time. I know this because I worked as the on-site Registrar in 2006, 2008, and 2009 and kept track of people submitting copies of their passports, birth certificates, and/or naturalization certificates that would be kept on file for future years. If someone didn't want to submit a copy in advance, and just show it to us at check-in, that was fine -- but then they would have to re-show us something every year because it wasn't on file.
  16. Benjy

Benjy Member

Unrelated note, you were an awesome deck captain.
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

Awww, thanks so much! I love to Deck Captain but rarely get to do it.

I've got to add that there is NO WAY I could have done it without my awesome team: Anton and Megan, the co-captains; and Dan, Sarah, and that really tall guy who all filled in when we needed extra help.

Worst moment of the comp for me: I was sitting out in the hallway on Saturday afternoon trying to relax and do breathing exercises, and I realized that the swirly carpeting was making me nauseous, which meant a migraine was coming on. Anton, Megan, and Sarah covered for me all afternoon while I took a long nap. Many thanks to you -- and to Dan who became my voice for Saturday evening.

Best moment of the comp for me: hunting for the Adult Championship Smooth dancers and finding most of them in the "small" practice room, all talking and laughing. They were all so nice and so fun that it made me want to dance again, in Smooth :)
  18. guille_bdancer

guille_bdancer New Member

Thank you Laura. This is correct. I was the on-site registrar this time and if we don't have it on file, you will get asked for it. Ava does a great job of notifying everyone about required information. Please read her emails thoroughly to determine what you need to bring to the competition and send in advance; this includes the parents, make sure to submit/bring proper documentation for your competing children. The couples that had the proper paperwork on file (proof of residency, USA Dance registration) just moved down the registration line with relative ease. Also, thank you to all those competitors that were missing things on file but had everything in their hands so I could make a quick note of the documentation and continue on. BTW, Drivers License or ID is not valid proof of residency (see list Laura posted above... also, Permanent Resident Card aka 'Green Card')
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

That was you on deck??? I wish I had known... I would have said hello!!!