USA Dance Nationals 2011--Back to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, May 25, 2010.

1. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

That's a great point Jan...and one I hadn't thought of. But I feel the same way. I don't have the resources to travel to a comp at which I'm not competing. I would take the money and spend it on lessons instead. I would buy a ticket to enter a session I'm not dancing in, when I'm already at the comp...but I wouldn't travel just to watch.
  2. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Definitely agree that it will have some effect on the number of spectators. Maybe not this year because the 75% rule won't be in place but the year after. Although this will depend on how maybe people that rule actually keeps out v. how many will travel to other events to qualify or qualify at a lower level (this seems like it could wreak havoc with the proficiency points system at the lower levels). Also have to consider that the 25% not dancing will also not be bringing along their "spectating fans".

It was my understanding that these rules were more about maintaining the size of the event because its "busting at the seams" as someone put it and less about making it more elite. It definitely does give a good bump up to the NQE's though, so a side effect may be more competitions turning into sanctioned events and eventually NQEs?
  3. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I don't know that many people who place in the bottom 25% would spend the money to travel to compete at Nationals anyway. It would be cheaper to just do more local competitions. So I don't think you can assume that competitors would be cut by 25%.
  4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Agree, the next logical question has got to be how many of the 25% dancers would of traveled to the Nationals, given the opportunity. Thinking about the region I dance in, we have a large pool of very strong competitive dancers and many that might end up in the 25% are by no means weak dancers that would be happy only attending local competitions. The results are always close so even though they may be 25% in the region they may in fact not place at the bottom 25% at a National.

Though, if what this does is kind of spread the dancers out to the regional competitions; that is seeing more attendance at regionals less at Nationals, and additional regional competitions, I would be thrilled with that.

It is going to be quite interesting to see how this all works out.
  5. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

My 2 cents...

I think that USA Dance is being extremely lenient with the 75% rule. and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down further to 50% or less in future years. To put it in perspective, think about this: How many sports leagues allow 75% its teams to make the playoffs?

When compared to team sports, the rule about qualifying with the same partner also makes sense. Since its NBA finals time, think about this. What if the Celtics were allowed to pickup Lebron James tomorrow so he can help them win the championship? would that be fair to the Lakers/Suns?

The nationals is not just another competition. I would not have spent the money to flyout to LA and stay at such an expensive hotel if it was just another random competition. It is and should always be a prestigious competition and you should have to earn the right to compete in it.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

NBA and NHL certainly seem to come close! ;)
  7. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

16/30 teams -> 53%
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Close enough for government work!
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

any idea what hotel it is in?
  10. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

The Renaissance Harborplace Hotet in Baltimore. The same hotel we used in 2008 & 2009.
  11. Larinda McRaven

12. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

You don't like the Renaissance?
  13. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I think a lot of people in the bottom 25% would still choose to compete at nationals. Yes, staying home and doing local competitions would be cheaper, but that overlooks all of the other reasons to do nationals (regardless of whether you expect to place in your division):

- Chance to compete against couples you have not competed against before
    - Opportunity to see the best of the best in the evening events
    - A higher quality, larger judging panel then you might get locally
    - Nice venue, large floor, professionally run event
    - Overall more "serious" atmosphere
    - Opportunity to see vendors in person (don't often have these at non-NDCA events)
    - Attend workshops / social events that are sometimes offered at nationals
    - Ability to combine dance with a vacation

In my opinion, Nationals done right should be an event that every amateur would like to attend--rather they hope to win a national title or not. That's not to say that there isn't a reason to limit entries, but I think that everyone should want to be a part of the event.
  14. Larinda McRaven

No, the first year there was when my costume was stolen from the lounge while I sat at the bar and the hotel refused to cooperate.
    The second year they lost my reservation and refused to find a room for me, I was homeless for the weekend.
    I do not like the Renaissance.
  15. Nvm

Nvm New Member

I hope Nationals will be great.
  16. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

I promise to make sure that you will have a great room this year.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Wow--I'm shocked about the second incident because I booked fairly late in the booking season (I was torn since I can just commute from home, but decided to do one night since my event was in the AM), and I not only got a room but got upgraded to a suite by the front desk.

I hope you give the Renaissance one more chance to redeem themselves. I must say that although it is a pricey hotel, I LOVE the location and the easy proximity to food, shopping, tourist attractions.
  18. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

She would not, could not on a train.
    She would not, could not in the rain.
    She does not like it in a box.
    She does not like it with a fox.
    Not even with a fancy room,
    Not even with a new costume.
    She will not give it one more chance,
    She does not like the Renaissance!

:)
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Haha, good one DrDoug!
  20. Larinda McRaven

:) funny!
    ChaChaMama, the hotel was at capacity when I showed up. And although I had my email confirmation the hotel had no record of it and quite simply said "We are full. There simply isn't any room left"
    Thank you Daphna... I know you work hard!