USA Dance Nationals 2011--Back to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, May 25, 2010.

1. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

I'm happy/sad to say that currently all rooms in our block at the event hotel are SOLD OUT and we were unable to negotiate additional rooms for our block at the group rate. However,
    we have established on overflow hotel just a few short blocks away from the Renaissance, at the:

Sheraton Inner Harbor
    300 South Charles Street
    Baltimore, MD 21201

Please insert the following (http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1103145307&key=E7D8D) into your browser to go to the USA Dance reservation page at the Sheraton to make a reservation at the low rate of $169.00/room. I realize that this rate is way lower than the event hotel rate, so please don't all cancel your reservations at the Renaissance. We only have a limited number of rooms at this hotel and if you cancel your Renaissance Hotel reservations you may be left with nothing.

Daphna
  2. Naululani

Naululani Member

I am not sure this is the right place to post… I am looking for a hair stylist for the Nationals. I called two stylists but both will not work at the Nationals. Could someone help me to find the best competition hair stylist at the Nationals?
    Thank you !
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Have you contacted Antoinette Johnston?
  4. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

There will be a hair stylist at Nationals - GIA Minerals. If you give me about an hour all the vendors and their contact info will be up on the website.

Daphna
  5. Naululani

Naululani Member

Joe and Daphna, Thank you so much for your advice ;)
  6. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Someone from our studio cancelled their room last night. One room (2 beds) might be available.
  7. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Who is dancing team match? Amateur or professional couples?
  8. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

USA Dance Nationals is an Amateur only competition, so the team match is made up of Amateur only couples.
  9. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Thanks. Do you know who is dancing? Is it by school?
  10. Medira

Medira New Member

Looking for volunteers!

An event like Nationals depends heavily on amazing volunteers to help make it a success. So if you have a few hours over the weekend to spare, we would greatly appreciate your help, and would be glad to offer you refunds on your entry fees and/or spectator tickets!

What we offer

Entry fee refunds
    - 12hrs of volunteer work per couple per entry fee refund
    (We don't care how the hours are divided between the partners, or if you get your mum/dad/bf/gf to provide the manpower)
    - Cumulative, i.e 2 entries refunded for 24hrs of work, 3 for 36hrs...

OR
    Spectator tickets
    - 4 hrs of volunteering per Daytime General Admission ticket or Evening Competitor Standing Room Only ticket
    - 8hrs of volunteering per Evening Reserved Seating ticket
    - Free tickets will be to the sessions of your choice
    - Cumulative, i.e. 12 hrs = 1 Daytime + 1 Evening ticket, or 3 Daytime tickets, etc.
    - Again, we don't care if you are providing the manpower, or if you delegate it to somebody willing to help you out (just make sure we're aware)

Other volunteering info
    - You do have to pay up front first, we are processing these as refunds
    - You can complete your hours in shifts, but there is no partial credit... no volunteering 2 hrs to get 50% off of a daytime ticket
    - There are a few shifts that will be credited at double rates...
    Security overnight shifts (Thurs, Fri and Sat midnight - 6am),
    Setup (Thurs night) and Take-Down (Sun night)
    - Most other info can be found on the website: http://www.usadancenationals.org/Volunteering at Nationals.html

If interested in volunteering, please send an email to volunteer@usadancenationals.org or PM me here

Hope to see you all there!
  11. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

The actual authorities will probably be around to give an official answer. However, if it's the same setup as the last two years, it is usually be region, with the top couples in each style from placements in the regional NQEs.
  12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know exactly how invitees are chosen...
  14. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

If my memory serves me, most of the representatives in the team match finished first in their style in a qualifier (generally in the qualifier closest to where a couple actually lived/danced).

In some cases, not every regional qualifier ended up having a representative (for various reasons), so some regions of the team match ended up having some dancers from different parts of the country (i.e. a Northeast couple dancing for the Southwest region).

If this has changed, my apologies.
  15. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

You have it basically right:
    1 choice=Couple wins at an NQE in the region they live
    2 choice=Couple wins at another NQE but dances for the region they live in
    3 choice=region has no one in that category so we ask someone who danced at the NQE in the region, but lives in another region
    4 choice=Couple wins at an NQE, no where close to where they live or to the region we are looking for a couple to make up the team, but has a relative 3x removed on their sister's brother-in-laws side and loves the region
  16. Griffico

Griffico Member

O2CM has posted event times... are these to be trusted as fairly final?
  17. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

These are as final as we're getting until we get to the comp and people start dropping events.
  18. reb

reb Active Member

Thanks Daphna.
  19. Griffico

Griffico Member

Thank you!
  20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Just bought a pair of front row seats!

I will also be volunteering during some of the day sessions, so say "Hi!" if you see me. I love to meet DFers.

I will not be dancing, as A) Husband/partner is flying first to Seattle (his step-father is having kidney cancer surgery) and then Chicago (work) that week, and will not be back until Saturday (our event would have been Friday), and B) Husband/partner also twisted his ankle really, really badly last Saturday and is still limping.

But I will be cheering you on!