USA Dance Nationals 2011--Back to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, May 25, 2010.

1. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Yay I know the adult gold latin champs! Congrats william and erinn!
  2. artend

artend New Member

anybody know the results for champ events???
  3. Oversway

Oversway New Member

Tal & Vlada were disqualified in the final because of costume issue? Anyone knows what happened? They would have placed 5th otherwise.
  4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened, and I was there. It wasn't something obvious to me.

I think their dancing could have merited even higher placing, like 3rd or 4th. (And some judges did place them higher, esp in some dances.) I absolutely love them and find them one of the most captivating, eye-drawing couples on the floor.

+++

I'm off to my second volunteer shift. Saw a lot of DFers yesterday, and hope to meet more DFers today!
  5. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I am confused by 3rd place couple placement. I would have placed Pasha and Daniella and Tal and Vlada before them for sure. They had no depth. They were mechanical and lacked personality on the floor. The first 2 couples were clear to me. I loved watching them. Valeriya looked very feminine. It is the best I have seen her so far.
  6. dancetime

dancetime New Member

Regarding Tal and Vlada's disqualification, I learned later that they were given no warning that there was an issue with her costume (even though they had a dance-on in the final). Therefore, they were given no opportunity to remedy the situation. It is highly irregular and unfair to disqualify a couple with no warning, and no opportunity to correct the situation. Several other couples were given warnings in earlier rounds. Furthermore, they were only made aware of their disqualification as they walked on the floor for awards. This coupled with the fact that their true placement (5th) and disqualification were not announced is strange and unfair. To secretly disqualify a couple, and give them no chance to correct the situation is unconscionable. We should all expect a higher degree of credibility and professionalism at a "National" competition.
  7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I don't think there is an obligation to provide warnings in earlier rounds. And I think the rulebook supports that. The officials can't catch everything. I would view a warning as a bonus rather than an entitlement. IMO, the onus is really on the dancers to make sure they are in compliance. Though maybe the pre-competition costume checks need to be extended to open dancers, now? :)

Still, it sucks for Tal and Vlada. :(
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm asking, here. Are the costuming rules ambiguous? Not trying to start a debate. Just trying to understand how this could happen. :cool:
  9. dancetime

dancetime New Member

It certainly does stink for them, and I can't even begin to imagine their frustration. Somehow, the officials were able to call several couples immediately after the first round or quarterfinal. I wholeheartedly agree that costume checks should be instituted if the officials are going to enforce to the extent of disqualification in the final. Also, if they couldn't detect in the dance-on where they are alone on the floor, I don't know what they're looking at. Did they only notice her costume during the jive? or after the results were in?
  10. pygmalion

Yeah. That is sucky. :-(
  11. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Dancetime, I'm not sure if you are trying to imply that they were singled out or if I'm misreading your tone. If she didn't wear the dress until the final, then at what point was she supposed to receive a warning? Between the dance on and the final? Because the last thing I would want to hear just before I take the floor would be, "by the way, we don't have time for you to change, but just so you know you're disqualified and will get last." That would have killed their energy and made it a pretty lackluster performance. And the costume invigilator can't see everything at once. Maybe they missed the dance on. Since she was wearing a dress that I believe she had worn at mac, and had been warned about at that point, she should have had it checked before she wore it.

All that aside, I thought they looked fantastic and I would have placed them 3rd or 4th.
  12. pygmalion

Ah. The plot thickens.

It's still a shame, though. *shrug*
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

If this is the dress with the open left thigh, that she wore at MAC, then yes... she was given plenty of warning there that the costume was in violation. In any case it is a shame.

Austin is looking very very tall lately :)

Congratulations Joe and Skwiggy.

Congratulations Liva
  14. Oversway

Oversway New Member

They announced tonight that the disqualification was reversed, tal & vlada are now 5th and denys & antonina 6th... Not sure what is going on. They are all amazing to me anyway :)

Speaking about rules, has there been exceptions this year to the rule about dancing at an NQE to qualify for nationals? I thought I saw one. I might be wrong.
  15. ChaChaMama

Tonight was SO amazing!!!! What fantastic events, and what energy in the ballroom!!!!

Youth Latin was my favorite event of the night. While watching the semi, I correctly picked the six couples in the final, but figuring out how it was going to go from there was anyone's guess. THREE of my favorite youth couples were in the final, and I am SO happy that two of them are going to be representing the US in the World Youth Latin Championships in the Czech Republic this October.

CONGRATULATIONS to Ron Garber-Ashley Goldman and Austin Joson-Gabrielle Sabler!!!!!
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

You are not wrong. There were two couples that I am aware of who did not dance an NQE. However, one of them is alleged to have followed the correct waiver procedure (part of which is actually being registered for an NQE). The other did not, as far as I can determine, even make an attempt to register for an NQE.
  17. pygmalion

Congrats, Joe!!!

Hmmm..... TTIUWP. (Never thought I'd get to say that. :wink: :-D)
  18. ChaChaMama

Tibor--You and Yang did an amazing job emceeing this weekend! Hope to see you again tonight.

+++
    One incident having zero to do with the dancing, but that might be of interest: there was a fire alarm on Saturday during the day session, right around noon. Evacuating the building was no small chore, as the ballroom is on the 5th floor and there were a lot of people funneling down the narrow escalators, many of them wearing clothes they had not intended to wear outside, but people were generally pretty good. There really was a smell of something burning, too. A Renaissance hotel person told me later that it came from the attached mall.

The comp actually did a pretty amazing job getting things more or less back on schedule. :)
  19. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Couples were required to do a costume check at check in. If they chose to disregard this, it is their responsibility.
  20. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Any updates on the Smooth events?