USA Dance Nationals 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elle, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Lol it will if the comp ends as daphne suggests, and all the syllabus dancers show up in the evening...

2. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

If you move more juvenile and youth events to Sunday evening you have an audience (i.e. Parents) that are already making the investment to travel and will pay to watch their kids dance. Not saying this is the right thing to do, but from a business perspective it makes sense. You probably get parents complaining because kids would miss school on Monday, but the kids won't mind :)

ajiboyet likes this.
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I think you could put Pre-teen II and Junior I events at pretty much ANY time and you would get entries and an enthusiastic audience...BUT I think you wouldn't want to put younger kids TOO late on a school night, especially since many people will have substantial travel ahead of them.

stash likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

A lot of nqes and other comps do a variation of this with success it seems

5. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I hope that the USA Dance administrators don't change schedules rashly because of the complaints of a few people on this forum. After all there is a large crowd of competitors, who don't read or write on this forum. They may be so accustomed to the current schedule, and any change may affect them greatly. I am just saying any changes should be made after the administrators consult with a lot more people than the folks on this forum.

slhull.13, Mr 4 styles and raindance like this.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Who's Daphne?

7. Mr 4 styles

I agree with Dancebug with one caveat.. Usa dance administration also needs to ( and already does in my opinion) look at other NQES and consider the best of all organizers and organizations. they do an excellent job with limited resources and volunteer hours. Despite my results this year (lol) i thoroughly enjoyed nationals. I didnt attend sunday evening more out of fatigue and an early flight the next day than anything. Adult champ latin is about the only thing that will get me into an evening ballroom at an amateur event unless im dancing in it during that session

8. Mr 4 styles

lol

9. novellsk8

novellsk8 New Member

Hey all, sorry i am trying to find some information relating to Nationals....
    Are there pro-am or is it just am-am?
    I.e. Manhattan Amateur Classic (since the name suggested that it may just be Amateurs only)... but again, i dont know. If anyone could shed some light that will be greaT!!Thanks all

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

MAC is a usa dance nqe its am am only as is usa dance nationals

11. Bailamosdance

It is in 2015, the 2014 event was in the spring.

The Manhattan Amateur Classic of course allows Pros and also ams, but the USA dance Nationals are only for amateur/amateur couples.

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

No, Manhattan Amateur Classic is for amateur competitors only.

Manhattan Dancesport Championships is an entirely different event that has all sorts of stuff - pro, pro-am, am.

I think for pro-am nationals, the closest thing I can think of is the United States Dance Championships (USDC), which is held in Florida. Is that correct, pro-am people who know more than me?

13. Bailamosdance

Am I wrong, or did USA dance not announce that.pros were part of their competitions? Like the rest of the WDSF... Or is it am/am because it is an nqe?

14. Mr 4 styles

Not to my knowledge who knows who dances mixed proficiency however

15. Mr 4 styles

But by rule professional dancers cannot be dancesport athletes and compete in usa dance events

16. raindance

raindance Active Member

There is no mixed proficiency at USA Dance Nationals.

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Indeed it is. Although I'll note that while it's certainly a major comp, it doesn't have *quite* the same centrality to the pro-am calendar that Nationals does to the USA Dance competitors'.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I always thought OSB was the de facto nationals for pro am...guess I know better now

19. Mr 4 styles

yes rain dance i know i was alluding to when , if at all "pros" can dance at usa dance they are not allowed by rule however

" I always thought OSB was the de facto nationals for pro am...guess I know better now"

yup guess you do

20. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Your professional dance instructor is allowed to dance with you at a USA Dance competition provided that they have not declared themselves to be a professional dance competitor.

ajiboyet and Bailamosdance like this.