USA Dance Nationals 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elle, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Just committed to going to Nationals this year :) :) So I'll see some of you on deck!

(Also hello to everyone I've been gone for what seems like sooo long)

Jananananana likes this.
  2. Akita

Akita Active Member

Schedule is up

3. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Ill be there Saturday matinee! Gold standard! Who else is going?

4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

We're hoping to, but not sure as of now. Would be doing novice/prechamp smooth and standard most likely.

5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Possibly going. We shall see!

6. Sania

Sania Active Member

Would LOVE to go - if I had an am partner!

7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Hoping to be there for Novice and Prechamp Standard and Smooth.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'll be there, competing in bronze and silver standard and latin. Assuming my current am partner does move in the fall as she plans, this should be my last time competing in latin. And while it is admittedly dependent on who I wind up dancing with afterwards, I dearly hope this'll be the very last time I ever compete in bronze standard.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  10. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Glad that the thread has started. I'm pretty sure that there is another thread about Nationals and it would be great if they could be combined.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

12. Akita

Akita Active Member

FYI for whomever can fix it - the O2CM entry for the 2014 Nationals incorrectly lists the location as being Los Angeles (last year's event) instead of Baltimore.

13. Akita

Akita Active Member

I noticed the cut-off to qualify for the Nationals is now 65%. Didn't it used to be easier? (I seem to remember it was 90% when they first implemented a qualification requirement.)

"C. 65%: You must have finished in the top 65% of dancers in the event(s) you entered in an NQE and you plan on entering in Nationals. In addition, you must have competed in the same partnership and in the same event (style/age/proficiency level) in an NQE that you, the Athlete Couple, intends to enter in the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships. Should you age out of a Pre-Teen – Youth category, or age into one of the Senior age categories, you will be allowed to dance up into your new age grouping. However, you will still only be qualified to dance in the proficiency levels in which you competed and achieved the 65% cut off."

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the first year for which it's 65%. The cut-off for last year was 75%. (Which results in some odd effects with the rule for all couples qualifying in a four couple final remaining unchanged.)

15. Akita

Akita Active Member

I had to double-check that we're qualified for everything we want to dance. We are .... or we'd be making the trip to the MAC or Bethesda.

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

wish we could... missed qualifying for novice standard by 1 judge recall.. unfortunately MAC and bethesda are too far away for us, and I'm taking the MCAT soon, otherwise I'd definitely harass my partner to take a trip out :( We'll just have to do really well in gold, I guess!

18. LT

LT Member

I think at first a couple simply had to show up and dance in any event at an NQE... then they had to dance in the same event... then they had to achieve a certain level of results... I think it adds an interesting element to the NQEs in that there is something more tangible at stake: if you don't make the cut, you can't move on!

...even so, there are several NQEs, so if a couple misses the qualifying cutoff they may be able to go back to the practice floor for a few weeks or months and try again... ;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Isn't it going up to 50% next year too? Or was I misinformed?

20. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I am wondering... We were originally told that qualifying events were created to make people dance more during te year and also so that the nationals did not run too long.

We are currently in Paris at the Worlds, and it seems to me that one solution to the nationals needing too much time would be what they are doing here... Literally two comps at the same location; to have two ballrooms, and have the event happen concurrently. Not on
    Y is it more desirable to come here since we can dance twice as much, it also allows the events to be attended by more people.... Those famous rows of empty seats at the nationals contribute to the discussions people have about how they are not as much fun or as important as he comps that attract or can provide big audiences. As far as the part where the nqes become big deals for the organizers, or are used to make people dance more, perhaps simply telling people that they have to do x amount of am am during the year would take the onus off.

We are not having issues with making the cut, as we do rather well, but maybe not having these kinds of qualifying event issues would make the nationals more attractive. Quantity of entrants is always good when more come. And, since USA dance has been farming out events to outlying comps, it might be time to rethink all this. Any thoughts?