USA Dance Nationals 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elle, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At the same time, they have to be able to find a venue for that. And Daphna posted upthread that they were already struggling to find venues that had the space and wanted to book with them.

2. Akita

Akita Active Member

Hey Bailamosdance,

There are 2 of us couples, possibly 3, going to the Paris Worlds next year. Would appreciate any feedback when you get back in the way of lessons learned with respect to logistics, pratical considerations, the hotel, food, the comp itself, etc.

Next year, the last day of the scheduled comp (Dec 7) also happens to be the 40th wedding anniversary for my wife and I ... it's destiny we dance there. :)

3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Sure thing, Akita.

Jude,they might have had trouble before either looking for a specific place and accommodation, but this is not only a whole new thing (and a whole new field of venues to look at) but also the old guard has been replaced with folks who have been elected to look forward to new ideas.

A venue does not have to have two ballrooms, it could be two locations in one city,or a large and small in one venue. The increase in rooms booked as well as the increase in revenue for the venue would be a good thing, and perhaps it would be easier to find.

We never know the possibilities until they are all looked at. Another thing the election was about was the electorate wanted folks who would not simply immediately find fault, tell the members they were foolish, etc. The new folks were elected on a platform to expand the membership and be more in tune with the members.... New ideas spark feeh approaches, and while many of them might not work, some might.

The ohio star ball is run in a similar way with the collegiate championships. That venue is one that does this in the USA, maybe that could bean good location for the super nationals...

4. Akita

Akita Active Member

Is that correct? It's 50% for the 2015 Nationals? Can anyone verify?

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

A single US venue is $$$ enough...I can't imagine two venues being in the realm of possibilities.

6. Akita

Akita Active Member

Current rulebook says 65% for 2014 and future Nationals.

7. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Its most likely going to be 65% for 2014 and will most likely stay at 65% for 2015.

8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification!

9. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Acutally, it will be 65% in 2014 (not most likely.) The rest of the sentence was correct.

10. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Starting to make travel arrangements... whoohoo!

11. Akita

Akita Active Member

I like the new straightforward way of calculating the entry cost. Good change.

jerseydancer likes this.
  12. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad it's working

13. llamasarefuzzy

Just bought my airplane ticket! See y'all there!

stash and Larinda McRaven like this.
  14. caw

caw Active Member

Can we register yet? In o2cm I can't figure out how to do it, and yet I see that there are people registered.

15. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I was able to log into my o2cm account and start the process, so I'm assuming so. (Waiting until my partners and I find out whether we qualify at MAC or Mid-Atlantics to register.)

16. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

You can start the registration process, and pay for your entries, should you need tickets to additional sessions we are still in the process of getting a determination from the hotel as to how many seats we will really have and are waiting to open up those sales until we hear from the hotel. Have a safe and happy new year, register before you forget after this nights festivities and I'll see you all in 2014.

17. llamasarefuzzy

Since I am a poor graduate student, I will probably be staying at a different hotel nearby (within 2-3 blocks). Does anybody know how safe the neighborhood is? Like if I don't stay at the competition hotel, will probably get mugged on my way back to my hotel after an evening session? (Small town midwest girl going to the big city :shy:)

18. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

New York is extremely safe and the area around the venue is "tourist central". NYC is. 24/7 town so you will see many many people around even very late. The subways run 24/7 as do buses. You will be very safe, take it from a native.

19. llamasarefuzzy

Nationals are in Baltimore- right? I hope so because I already bought my airplane tickets...

caw and stash like this.
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that bailamosdance has MAC on the brain. ;)

llamasarefuzzy likes this.