USA Dance Nationals 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elle, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure I know what you mean when you say Baltimore is "REALLY NOT" a nice place to visit. I live about 45-60 minutes from Baltimore. I would be the first to concede it is not as exciting and multifaceted a tourist destination as New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, Vegas, Orlando, or Boston in terms of tourist attractions. I would also concede that Los Angeles has nicer weather. Nonetheless, if you have a day off from the ballroom, there should be more than enough to see and do with attractions including:

-The National Aquarium (considered one of THE nicest aquariums in the United States),
    -Maryland Science Center
    -Port Discovery
    -Harbor East, Little Italy, Fells Point, Mt Vernon
    -The Maryland Zoo of Baltimore
    -The Baltimore Museum of Art

It's also only 1-2 hours from Washington, DC where there are museums and monuments than you could see in a week.

There are plenty of restaurants in every price range in easy distance of the Renaissance Harborplace.

I could understand someone saying they are bored of the comp being in Baltimore. I could understand someone saying that they would rather have the comp in NYC or Chicago. But please don't take your impression of Baltimore from "The Wire."

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Nor do NDCA nationals, as best I can tell.

I'd actually be really interested to see nationals in Chicago, and not just because it's my home metro area...not the most dancer-dense area, but at least no one would have to fly coast to coast to compete.

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Chicago might be better received since it's so much larger of a city, but they had Nationals in Louisville back in ... 2008 was it? That was before my time, but the impression that I've gotten talking to people is that lots of folks from both coasts were less than thrilled with the location.

4. Dancing Irishman

I think Chicago also offers a lot more highly trafficked airport (read: easier to get lower airfare) and better public transportation (actually, my biggest reservation about ever going to nationals in LA)

5. Dancing Irishman

Though I still mentally budget like a college student, so maybe rental cars are a serious option for the established career crowd.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe you'd be willing to do the legwork for National USA Dance, contacting Chicago hotels about availability and pricing for ballroom and associated space--you'll need a ballroom around 15000 sq ft, plus associated space.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. I apologize about my wording in my last post. It's not fair for me to judge Baltimore since I have never been there myself. Whenever I ask my friends about Nationals, they give me a bit of a underwhelmed image of the city itself. I'm always interested in seeing new places, even if they are rumored to be not that amazing. I acknowledge every place has its hidden gems.

I am somewhat biased since my friend who went to nationals last year had his wallet stolen. But you find that kind of stuff pretty much anywhere.

But yeah I guess it's just not the first city that would come to mind if I were to hear "Nationals" for the first time. The repeated visits to Baltimore too also has me somewhat puzzled. Why is this competition more on the East Coast and not regularly switched off every year?

8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Joe, good idea. USA Dance under the old administration was very reluctant to accept outside ideas and even volunteers. The new admin is much more approachable and positive... I'm sure they will welcome help, input, and cooperation.

9. Akita

Akita Active Member

To be fair, Baltimore does have a much-higher-than-average crime rate and a significantly dropping population (from 732,968 residents in 1993 to just 620,961 in 2010).

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I would add, however, that competitors are probably not going to be in ALL THE NEIGHBORHOODS of Baltimore at ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT while at this competition. They are going to be in The Inner Harbor, which is one of the most tourist-y areas. There's a reason why there are pricey hotels like the Renaissance Harborplace there.

I used to live in Oakland, CA when I was in my 20s, and it is currently sitting at #2 on the most dangerous cities over 200,000 population list. I am about to visit Atlanta, GA, which is currently at #9. Am I just addicted to living on the edge here? No. There are nicer and less nice areas in ALL these cities.

I would recommend NOT parking your car on the street in a dicier neighborhood of East Baltimore at 2 AM, sure. That's probably good advice. The Inner Harbor is almost a world apart from those neighborhoods, though. The very fact that you have $200+ hotel rooms , chic restaurants, and expensive parking garages should be telling you something.

Obviously, anything could happen anywhere at any time in any city or small town and so yes, I would use common sense safety precautions like not leaving valuables unattended. But I would hope no one would stay away from Nationals because it is in Baltimore. You are not exiting the hotel into a war zone, I promise you! All those chain restaurants like The Cheesecake Factory, Hard Rock Cafe, Roy's Hawaiian Fusion, The Rusty Scupper, etc. do not set up in neighborhoods they think are dangerous. I will concede that we do not have a must-see tourist attraction as "WOW!" as The Empire State Building, Millennium Park, or The Golden Gate Bridge in Baltimore. But it's a fine city to visit for a weekend.

11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

That isn't what my mom thinks! She is insisting that I cab it the 3 blocks from my hotel to the comp. If it makes her feel that much better, I guess I don't mind:rolleyes:

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

If she's paying for it! ;) The area immediately around the comp is very nice and perpetually busy though. I've never felt in the slightest bit unsafe, and I wouldn't be worried.

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  13. Dancing Irishman

Should have clarified...home metro area as in where my parents live and what I still call "home". Not that I don't love Texas, but I still am a Chicagoan at heart.

That being said, if y'all ever want to host nationals in Texas, hit me up and I'll be happy to fumble my way through it.

14. Dancing Irishman

Also should have clarified that I was comparing it to Louisville...DC/Baltimore area had pretty great public transportation when I flew in for IDB a couple years back.

Would make New York similarly good for nationals, but the MAC is already so well established as a must-do kind of event that I'm not sure they need another.

15. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Just finished up the last of my bookings- shuttle to/from airport done! Sent in my passport and bought my tickets! All ready to go and so excited!

stash likes this.
  16. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

For everyone who is still procrastinating, stop it and register today. There is no more time for procrastination, it will just cost you more money. Today (Fri. 3/7) is the last day to register without paying a late fee. See you all soon.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you were at the LA Nationals last year, and the Baltimore Nationals they year before, you'd know why.

jerseydancer and Bailamosdance like this.
  18. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Mainly because there is a higher density of competitors and also spectators on the East Coast. It's not the best financial choice to have it on the West Coast every other year.

19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

If the comp was in the west more it would grow in the west. Peeps should go to nationals no matter where it is. I like the Chicago idea

20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

That's easy to say, but I suspect a significant portion of the difference is in the density of college student for whom practicality trumps what they "should" do.

dlliba10 likes this.