USA "Dancing with the Stars" competitors announced

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by leftfeetnyc, May 11, 2005.

1. robin

robin New Member

If the format is anything like it was in the UK, the show has to be live... The viewers are asked to vote on who stays for next week, and the result is announced an hour later or so...

Given the experience from the UK series, I would say that the male Pros with female celebrities have an advantage, though not as much as I had initially thought. I was actually quite impressed with one or two of the men, particularly in the 2nd series.

Given that one of the male celebrities in the US has dance and broadway experience, I would think that he might be quite good. Sports-stars have also tended to look more competent in the UK series, including a rugby player and an athlete, so it'll be interesting to see if Holyfield can also use his co-ordination and determination to his advantage...

The worst dancers were male TV stars, who had probably not done any form of exercise, leave alone dance, for the last 20 years... Without exception they were awful, though usually very jovial and entertaining.

All-in-all the show was fab, if not quite what the purists would want to see ;). I hope the US version is equally successful!
  2. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Holyfield is going to be the most entertaining to watch IMO...followed by the supermodel. Boxers have to be quick and light on their feet (even heavy weight). Supermodels have that whole "style" they develop when then learn to work a runway.

I can't wait to see how both translate to dance. Somebody make sure they record every episode. :)
  3. newbie

newbie Active Member

Holyfield is still an active boxer? Boxers tend to get fat once they retire.
  4. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

No, he isn't active. But from the pics posted of the "ams" training...he's pretty fit looking.
  5. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Where are the pics posted?
  6. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Earlier in this thread...
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

In my last post above on this thread, click on "stills of the dancers training."
  8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Trista has very nice posture. Evander looks like he's having a lot of fun. Joey looks a little lost...damn that processing from the brain to the body portion of learning.
  9. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

those pictures are so small, can't see nothing...
    and you need password to see a big one...
    anyway, better than nothing
  10. Laura

Laura New Member

I think you have to write to ABC and tell them you're a media outlet like a newspaper or TV station to get the password for the big pictures.

I'm thinking once the show starts, there will be real web pages for it on ABC TV's web site (abc.com)
  11. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Oops. Thanks!
  12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I don't like reality shows one bit, and this one is too much like them. What's all the sudden interest in ballroom anyway? They're just trying to make money out of the fancy bits. I think it's misleading for those who were considering taking ballroom lessons before seeing the show and gives wrong motives to people to start dancing.
    Also annoying that a bunch of TV personas get top coach lessons they can't fully appreciate. I mean, what good is top coaching when you have a student of a couple of weeks? S/he probably can't tell the difference between basic dance concepts (checks and backward breaks, for instance), let alone understand professional details these coaches are giving.
    I saw the stills and I was even more dissapointed. "Was that a dip?" I thought. "But they're beginners! What are they doing around dips? Why aren't they practicing their cuban walks like every normal beginner student???" And then I remembered this is TV. Everything is fast food material. It's like a "Be an amazing dancer in two months with this amazing DanceWonder pill!" They're probably going to present choreographies that are way beyond their knowledge/skills and the whole thing will be a fiasco. Because if you can't do a Silver syllabus step right, better that you don't do it at all, my friend.
    It's just too hasty for my tastes. I'm very, very sceptical. But that's just my opinion.

Twilight Elena
  13. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

One of the pictures clearly was of a student being instructed in latin walking technique.

Actually, quite a lot can be accomplished in instruction of the time periods involved - the problem is the pressure to put some "fun" things in for the camera. So the stills have both sound basic technique instruction, and goofy stuff like the dip - the show itself will probably also be a mixture.

And a lot may depend on the personality/skills of the stars. Like in the the shall we dance remake, Lopez was completely clueless, but Gere actually looked like a promising competition student.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I think that the media exposure, which would (hopefully) generate more interest in ballroom dancing, is a good thing. But, the general public, just starting out, shouldn't have the expectation that with a few lessons, they'll look like the couples they saw on TV. However, they can expect to learn the basics, and begin to enjoy a hobby that could last a lifetime.

One of the professionals in the show helped train Richard Gere for the movie "Shall We Dance" and I thought he danced well. With weeks of intensive training, the celebrities might surprize you. I'm looking forward to watching the show, and I'm especially interested to see how Trisha (The Bachelorette) does.
  15. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

I understand your concern and yes the choreography thing was exactly what happened in the BBC version of this show. It did look like a fiasco for all the male celebrities ( I only watched the second seaon so that's all I am refering to here), however, there were people who made miracles happen, especially the top 2, after 3 months they looked like they had been dancing for more than 3 years.

I agree with you on focusing on basics, however, every once a while people need to learn something new and exciting in order to be kept interested, and it doesn't mean you stop improving your basics, instead, you improve your basics while learning new things, and by doing so you realize more about the importance of basics which therefore motivates you work harder on your basics -- At least that's how I feel.

Our school team recruit many people at the beginning of each semester, at the end only 20% of them would stay, and the main reason the other 80% drop out of dancing I think is because they only learned about 3 to 5 figures for each dance and couldn't really enjoy it. Remember, not everybody dances for competition ( and also for fun of course), most of them just do it for fun only, and techniques are not as important to them, and as long as they enjoy it, why not let them? This show can give people the hope that even if you stink at the beginning, you can still make it by working hard, so why not embrace it?
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

You put into words what I was thinking about JLo, when I was typing my previous post.
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

By the way, these stars are training 4 hours a day with a top pro, so they're going to have the opportunity to absorb a lot of information very quickly. Who here spent 20 hours a week on their dancing the first six weeks they danced? How far do you think you might have progressed if you had, and if all that time had been under the tutelage of someone like Louis van Amstel or Charlotte Jorgenson?

I rest my case. Let the stars have their dips.
  18. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Not to mention, factor in the competitive/aggressive personalities of many of the professional dancers involved...add a little bit of humor and money (because everybody is getting paid, instructors included) and you actually might have some good dancers produced.
  19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I agree, albeit reluctantly. They're getting lots of help and will probably produce decent performances. But I still believe that people who watch this are getting misled because, as you said, Laura, the average beginner doesn't get top coaching 4h/day and get paid for it! This doesn't simulate normal learning conditions and I think ballroom beginners will feel dissapointed.

Twilight Elena
  20. Laura

Laura New Member

But it's not supposed to simulate what a ballroom beginner goes through. They call it a "reality" show because it's not a fictional show (comedy or drama), isn't a documentary, and isn't news. I'm sure that when the "stars" talk about what they've gone through to get ready, the average person will fully realize that they won't get the same results. People aren't quite that stupid.

You might recall back in the 70's when the economy was in the tank, gas prices were at all-time highs, etc etc. At that time there were lots of what is now called "reality" TV on. Shows like "Circus of the Stars" where a "celebrity" (often Linda Blair, for some reason) would train a simple trapeze act or ride on an elephant. Or team competition games like "Battle of the Network Stars" where teams led by the likes of Lee Majors would square off against teams led by the likes of the guy who played J.R. Ewing on "Dallas." They'd compete in things ranging from horse jumping (I recall a Tab Hunter/Linda Blair show down), swimming, running, and even obstacle courses and tug-of-war. These kinds of shows are CHEAP to produce and are highly entertaining. That's all this "Dancing with the Stars" is at heart. I loved those cheese old celebrity competition shows, and I think I'm going to love this one doubly because it involves ballroom dancing!