USA "Dancing with the Stars" competitors announced

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by leftfeetnyc, May 11, 2005.

1. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

I don't think beginngers will feel encouraged watching people doing cuban walks and Waltz box for an hour :D
  2. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

totally agree :wink:
  3. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

If it's anything like the two series we had here, there really is no time for them to be actually learning to dance as such. There is no lead and follow, it's purely learning a routine and putting as much technique into the given steps as possible.
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

True!

But still, working four hours a day on just learning a routine is more than the average beginner is going to want to do, too, so no matter how you slice it it's just "Circus of the Stars."

Still, it's going to be fun! A number of people popped up on one of the other boards after "Shall We Dance" saying that they started taking lessons just because they saw the movie. Perhaps some more people will start taking lessons just because they saw someone macho like Holyfield or gorgeous like Hunter doing it, and they thought "hey, looks like fun, maybe I'll give it a try."

Once someone comes into the door for their first lesson, it's all up to them -- they'll either get bitten by the bug, or not, and I don't think any amount of Hollywood glitz will change that one way or the other. But, perhaps a few more people might make that decision to walk in the door.
  5. LXC

LXC New Member

I'm so excited. Can't wait :banana:
  6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:lol: Somehow I'm doubting that TE "recalls" anything from the 70's! :lol:
  7. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

That is what happened here Laura. In both series screened someone who wasn't that great a dancer made it to the final because of public support. Initially I was trying to be a purist and thought that this was wrong. The best dancers should make it to the final. But after thinking about it, it's definitely a good thing that these less co-ordinated people made it, because it proves to the average joe on the street that you don't have to be extremely well balanced, co-ordinated and a size 6-8 to be able to dance.
  8. Laura

Laura New Member

Yeah...and I wrote that before I knew that she was in Greece.

(She's lucky that she missed that era of American pop culture....)

I'M OLD!! WOOO HOOO!! :D
  9. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

So here's the scoop...I NEVER read the newspaper but a coworker mentioned an article about a new dance show...so of course I had to find out what it was all about. After reading the short blurb I figured I better hurry up and post something on DF so everyone could enjoy...only to see someone else has beat me to the punch. I love you guys!

I can't wait to start watching the show! It looks like another version of this show has been airing in other areas under the same title "Dancing with the Stars" and it was modeled after another show called "Strictly Come Dancing."

Here are a few links I found with additional info:
    http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvone_story_skin/482085?format=html
    http://seven.com.au/seven/040929_dancing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/

I'll have to make sure to add info on all the shows to my site. I look forward to learning more as things get posted here!
  10. Laura

Laura New Member

ABC has started promoing the show on the air. One spot was toward the end of "Lost" last night. It showed clips from what I assume was the UK or Australian version, interspersed with clips of couples from the US version training. We see Evander Holyfeld looking really stiff and clunky with Editya Silwynska, and then later we see him in a tailsuit saying "she's got the harder job because she has to make me look good." We see Rachel Hunter working on some Standard with Jonathan Roberts, and Rachel getting frustrated and saying something like "I can't believe how hard this is" or "this is harder than it looks" or something to that effect. We see Charlotte Jorgenson cha cha-ing with her guy (I think he's the guy who played Elaine's boss on "Seinfeld") -- and they both look like they're having a lot of fun. There's also brief shots of Louis Van Amstel and partner, the New Kids on the Block guy with Ashley Degrosso, and Alec Mazo and partner.

This is going to be fun!
  11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

*sigh* That's what you get for getting born in 1987... :p

Twilight Elena
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Then again, it could be a train wreck. :)
  13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Enjoyment or horrified fascination. Does it really matter which, if people watch the show? :wink: :lol:
  14. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

I don't understand why so many people want to see this thing go bad.... it is supposed to be fun, not serious like politics or something
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, there are cynics and naysayers everywhere :)
  16. pygmalion

Eh. Either way, we'll see, I guess. *shrug*

My concern is not so much the quality of the dancing, to be honest. My concern is a potential glut in the market. How many years has it been since there was new ballroom on non-cable broadcast TV? (or for that matter, any significant amount of dance?) And now, a bunch of shows all at once. Hmm. :?
  17. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

what did you mean 'bunch'? just one show with different names made in different countries

besides, there has always been 'cheer leading convention' on espn... although I don't watch it
  18. pygmalion

Hmm. If I have time later, I'll go back through some DF threads. A few different shows have been mentioned state-side, IIRC. 8)
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

There are two other dance-related shows coming out. One rumored show is "Ballroom Boot Camp." The other is "So You Think You Can Dance." The second one sounds like it features all sorts of dance, so we'll probably see everything from Hip-Hop to Salsa (think of this show as a remake of "Dance Fever.")
  20. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

boot camp sounds like a great idea :D
    I wish I had the time to join that...