USDC 2012... who's going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, Lela Weinert... thanks for jogging my memory.

2. Aurora Rose

Aurora Rose New Member

It is my first time competing in USDC... which is exciting! I have done the spectator thing for a few years and decided that this is the year to get out there and dance :smile: yikes!

I live in the Orlando area and I will be staying at the Swan (with a nice AAA discount for any of you who are members... it is less than the USDC rate). I try not to deal with driving on Disney property if I can avoid it because it can take ages to get somewhere... that and I like the idea of being able to send the hubby to my room if I forget something!

FYI - Hotel transport may be available depending on where you stay - you may have to call the hotel, but this IS a tourist destination, they do try to take care of their guests.

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have Linda Doyle do my hair and makeup, she does a great job. Even though it is close to competition time you could still try and call her, often times students book for comps ahead of time and then cancel as the comp gets closer so check and see. I also like Lisa Bentley's work as well. In general, I try to book hair and makeup as early in the year as possible.

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

anybody have an extra room? have someone looking for in on the 5th, out on the 8th....

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Getting on the wait list through the hotel is their best option. The wait list usually opens up the week before the comp.

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

thanks Larinda, wait list request has been submitted. was hoping some DF'ers might be able to help me secure a room though to make sure they could stay on site. anybody?

7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Update - just saw on FB that this year has over 10,000 entries and heat lists will be on the website on Tuesday!!

Trying not to panic...haven't been this worked up about a comp in a while. Breathe!!

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I wonder how many entries they usually have? I know that quite a few of the pro am dancers at my studio are going...

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

awesome...I like to know my schedule

10. GGinrhinestones

Don't know, but this is apparently the first time they've ever hit 10,000.

11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Wow, that's awesome!

12. fascination

it has gotten bigger...that is certain...my first year there was 2007 or maybe 06 and I took 07 off...can't remember....anyhow, was smaller then...still bigger than lot of comps and with good contest...but smaller than the past few years I think

13. Heat lists are up at USDSC website.....unless there are late adds the U.S. Open latin event looks very disappointing, poor representation of top couples

14. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

this is going to be our first USDC, too bad I do not see many senior couples on the list, hope we are not only one in grand senior amature event

15. Just announced that USDC won't accept late entries. Does that mean they won't accept additional entries if a dancer wants to enter more than their existing ones, or that they won't accept late newcomers entries who aren't already registered?

16. fascination

I would imagine that they mean both...but, you would have to contact them...most of the time, particularly if the entry would throw the heat into a semi or a quarter, it isn't possible to enter it regardless of the circumstance...

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm glad they posted the heat lists so early. I think this is the first time I've seen a comp post it's heat lists a week before the event.

18. GGinrhinestones

Agreed. It definitely reduces some of the stress, knowing the schedule so far ahead. Especially because I did manage to get an appointment for my hair, and now I know I can actually keep it!

Anyone know how effective the Disney shuttle transportation system is at getting in and around the different hotels in a timely manner? I know it's a good system, but it's been a while since I used it. I noticed the Swan charges $12 every time you move your car out of the parking lot, so coming and going between different hotels that aren't right next door will be challenging.

19. fascination

shuttle is great but timing can be slow depending upon where you are going...monorail and boat are also options in various locations...

as to heat lists...yes...am so glad they post early ...as, dancing as much as I do, things like meals, whether or not there can be a gown change, etc...all need to be ascertained well in advance for me

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Having just been there GGinrhinestones, remember this is a family vacation spot...so while the transportation shuttles are pretty dependable....if you have lots of families it will take more time to load/unload/stops. The shuttles all have specific destintations,,,you may have one shuttle that is headed for the Animal Kingdom while 3 in a row head to Pleasure Island. Although the "stops" outside of Disney properties are divided into the shuttle pull-ins for pick up...we waited as long as 20 minutes for a shuttle and it was another 10 minutes of loading, then the actual time it took to get where we were going. Loved the river boat ride though.