USDC - U.S. Dance Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Jul 30, 2007.

1. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Dancesizzle is a news site which tries to get video of the event to the outside world as quickly as possible.Therefore none of the videos are for sale.I would contact Wayne@dancevision .com as he was in charge of the compand might be able to tell you if any videos are for sale.

Cheers Chris

2. Some Day

Some Day New Member

Thanks, Chris! You can ignore my PM :)

3. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

I have to admit- It was a great comp= very high quality dancing, in all levels. It did appear that the entries were higher than last year. The hike from my room to the ballroom stunk- but the attractions were a plus! I won my Rythm championship, 4th in 9 dance and didnt make finals in smooth championship (n I was off that afternoon). All in closed Silver of course! Good to see all the DFERs that I know! I was tough on myself for the marks but realized how well I did in comparison due to the fact that I only dance closed at this time and that I was dancing against some girls who also danced rising star and open levels! IT is worth it when you can go to a comp and know that you are dancing against some of the best dancers in the country and can hold your own! Rock on to all the DFers who put our best out there last week - and had some fun doing it at the same time!

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...I felt the same way...even though we ended up not dancing the rising star b/c we weren't open, I noted that several against whom I danced did ...and kudos to them...I felt the same way about my results, not what I went there to get, but respectable all the same

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My student doesn't dance open either and made the final of the rising star... so tell M that I said you guys should have been there!

6. fascination

;)....I will do that...may have lost the battle, but I did win the war...will p.m. you

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you should be, with those results! contrats, dear. sounds like the event was a happy -- and hectic!! -- experience for you. :D

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

congrats, 9dncr! you, too, fasc... wish i'd been there to see! :D

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

So nice to read comments from another perspective. One correction though about the coffee. I too had been told it was only in the am but the bartender corrected me and said it was open until 11pm and, to apologize for the hotel's error, offered me a free cappucino. Nice gesture. Of course I would have been a good customer anyway, and it was good espresso. I spent some time on saturday sitting at the bar watching the tennis match.

10. DanceSomatics

DanceSomatics New Member

Ok, here is something hilarious on the topic of gossip and why moderators here are so decisive about it. Clearly they have a great point.

Last night, on a completely legitimate Russian dance site, there was an announcement on the main page about new partnership of Eugene Katsevman and Eulia Zagoruitchenko (not kidding) only to be contacted and denied by Eugene himself this morning. I can only imagine how Eugene and Maria felt seeing this.

11. Some Day

Some Day New Member

FYI...for anyone who's interested....I contacted Wayne and was informed that the videos are not for sale due to music rights issues. Oh, well....a gal can dream right?

12. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Saw that too.
    I cannot even begin to imagine how the two couples could feel about that..
    If someone posted somehting like this about me and my partner.. I would be very upset.

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, exactly!

Its much too easy to forget that these people are people before they are dancers and deserve to be treated accordingly.

14. fascination

amen... someone sticky this so I can find it the next time the war flares up...and it should be noted that often folks don't see those sorts of claims and don't even have the ability to refute them....I am reminded of a "nice" little old lady who would always have to have the new priest over to dinner when he arrived at the parish....and the next thing you knew, everyone in the parish knew what the guy liked to eat and everything else he inadvertantly shared, large or small...even if not harmful, it was exploitive...so okay, BOT...I wanna go back to usdsc next year

15. nevsky

nevsky New Member

I bet they were mightily amused

16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Really enjoyed my usdsc experience; got to watch some DF'ers dance, enjoyed the evening sessions, hung out with friends and rode the roller coasters (oh yeah, and danced). And like fascination, I hope to get to repeat the whole thing next year!

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Posted some Rhythm photos in the DF album for the moment. Other styles to follow later...

18. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

My experience at USDSC was a fun one; the venue was awesome. The stadium seating was a good idea although I do prefer standing so that I can move around to watch my favorite couples.

I did have one peculiar experience, however. As I was in line to get my ticket for Saturday night's events, the person in front of me was annoyed that the front desk was still selling tickets at 7:30PM at the full price of $70. I inferred that he was suggesting that the price of the tickets go down as the night went along. The front desk person explained that the evening session started at 6:30PM; I'm not so sure if that was a satisfactory explaination.

Is there something about ballroom events that make people react unreasonably? I remember a DF discussion a few years back with a similar subject. I mean $70 for a six-hour event is not a bad price. Heck, the best seats for a Broadway show go for $300, and they last less than 3 hours. Go figure.

19. croaker

croaker New Member

For nationals pro finals it's not too bad, I suppose. But when a smaller competition charges $50 to get in and then the room is empty it just plain sucks.

20. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

Well, you have a point. I guess this is where experience from going to comps over the years pays off; you know which ones are worth paying the price of admission.

Then again if there is a favorite couple at a small comp that you know would compete that night, and you want to see them, it could be worth it as well.