USDC - U.S. Dance Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Jul 30, 2007.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

An important thing top keep in mind here is that most of the organizers costs (floor, lights, sound, judges, etc.) are the same regardless of how many couples are on the floor or how empty the room is.

Sure I agree that there are comps that over charge, but as per cy_phi's post, 6+ hours of top-tier dancing for ~$10/hour is more than reasonable... and the ticket still deserves to go at full price if we don;t want to end up creating economic incentives for many people to only show up for the finals.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh good lord...don't even get me started...anyone who thinks anything is going to be a bargain in ballroom is out of their minds...resistance is futile...folks just need to get over it...again, just my opinion...directed at no one in particular...but reinforced by an empty wallet
  3. croaker

croaker New Member

Well, I have seen it a few times when my friends who are not dancers would love to see a competition in their own town, but not at $50/ticket. They would have come at $20/ticket.
    Wouldn't the organizers rather have 10 people at $20/person rather than 2 guys at $50/each ?
    For some strange reason my friends didn't compare watching the comp to the Broadway show outing but to the price of going to the movies instead :rolleyes:
    I wonder how it works in Europe and OZ - there the prices to go to a comp are way cheaper from what I've heard?
  4. fascination

fair point...no one who isn't familiar to ballroom would expect such prices but listen at that hotel a banana, coffee, and a skim milk came to 20 bucks....didn't mean to sound cavalier but it always strikes me as odd that anyone at a comp like that would be shocked at the price of anything...don't get me wrong, i am still smarting from it...but not shocked
  5. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I usually don't mind paying $45-50 to watch a pro comp. And didn't mind paying more on friday and saturday night, given that this was the nationals and the open events.

However, I did think that paying $50 for the tuesday and wednesday night RS and 10/9-dance events was excessive. The stands were mostly empty during these days, which despite being early in the week, is still a bit surprising since all of the pro/am rhythm and smooth events (which I imaging had the most entries) were on these days (i.e. there were people there, just not in the ballroom watching). But at $50 a ticket, maybe its not so surprising.
  6. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

I can only offer insights from Europe - and from the Eastern part of that primarily (think Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, etc.).

Many of the competitions are organized during the day, and are run at gyms or basketball stadiums or whatnot, with no particular decoration other than what any of the occassional sponsors provide. In Hungary and Russia I've been to several events that were in high school gyms, or old 'House of Culture' main rooms. Needless to say, the tickets were cheaper, but the atmosphere was 'cheaper' too, along with the quality of the floor, quality of the music, seating (or not) for spectators etc.

In Japan, many events are run in halls of some sort - similar problems to the above: even though tickets may be comparatively less expensive, the floor / music / changing areas are not quite the same as they are here.

Having lived and competed what amounts to 'overseas' from a US perspective I'd like to offer that we often don't realize how lucky we are to be dancing in the US, including the ticket prices we need to pay. I agree with the post above - paying $ 60 for 6+ hours of high level dancing is not that much, especially if you consider the comfort of the chairs, the lighting in the ballroom, the music, the decorations etc. Not to mention the entertainment one gets :).

Just my two cents....
  7. Summer_Gray

Summer_Gray New Member

Who wouldn't expect prices of $50 and up? It's a major event! Compared to tickets to other sporting events of a similar level.... it's a really very cheap. Superbowl, Kentucky Derby ($400-5K), Olympics or the World Cup. Even if you compare it to events with less prestige- say just an average Pro football or Hockey game- the price difference is huge.

Or if we compare it to other live shows rather than sport events. Broadway prices are 4 times that unless you buy tkts the day of the show and sit in the nosebleeds 6 months after it show opens.... Even going to see touring casts at local performing arts centers you'll pay 80-100 for decent seats.

I think prices could be a -lot- higher. :\
  8. dance234

dance234 New Member

I don't. If you go to a football game or the other random cultural events that are being held up as comparison points here, you may be fine paying a high ticket price because, even if you buy season tickets, it's still one event - you don't go to three or four football games in a row on successive nights. One of the main downfalls of comp pricing is that, if you travel to an event, and the event places pro events on different nights, you want to go several nights in a row - and it would be great if the organizers would price accordingly. paying 50, 60, 70 bucks a couple nights in a row is just ridiculous. Comparing a ballroom event to a football game or going to the ballet doesn't make sense because the schedule tries to milk you of as much money as possible.
  9. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

If there are four pro comps they are actually 4 different events.I went to the Ryder Cup in golf in Detroit a few years ago.It lasted for 5 days and tickets were 300 dollars minimum rising to 1000 dollars for the for the last day.I decided to go for the first 2 days and watch the rest on TV at home.
    Also if you go to the Soccer,Rugby or cricket world cups these events sre held over 3-4 weeks and if your team makes the final you may have to attend 6-7 matches and take a month off work.
    Cheers chris
  10. dance234

dance234 New Member

The comp events being 'different events' thing doesn't wash. If you travel to the thing, you're there for the thing - not for four things. That's a pretty meager attempt, there, chris :)
  11. croaker

croaker New Member

A kangaroo walks into a bar and orders a beer.
    The bartender figures that a kangaroo probably isn't
    very economically aware, and charges him $50 !
    The bartender curiously remarks, "You know, we don't get too many kangaroos in here."
    The kangaroo replies, "At $50 a beer.. no wonder."
    :uplaugh:
  12. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I do not think most have any idea, of the financial commitment, that has to be guaranteed and met , before tkt one, is sold .

have rune numerous comps ( lost my A-- on a couple )
  13. croaker

croaker New Member

When something doesn't sell lowering the price sometimes helps. Or so I was
    told. Crazy idea, that.
    To another poster - about decorations etc. Personally I'd much rather prefer to see
    my friends cheering me on in the audience than empty room full of fabulous decorations.
  14. chrisjohnston

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but please explain to me what the Pro Latin has in common with the Pro Smooth.Different people,different costumes and different music .In fact Usdsc is actually a great deal for the spectators as you get to see this all in the same place in a short period of time.Remember if you want to see the World Latin and World Standard you might have to travel to different countries or even different continents.Of course dancing is expensive but so is everything else when you want to watch at a high level.
    Cheers Chris
  15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I think the other poster was trying to say that
    once you are there you have to watch all 4 things, you don't have the option to only watch the latin for quater of the price.
  16. chrisjohnston

Hi Kitty.There were lots of people who only came on Saturday because that was the event they wanted to watch.Nobody forces you to watch them all.As Barry Norman once said "You pay your money ,you get your choc-ice."
    Cheers Chris
  17. reb

reb Active Member

I agree - TT is one of the few business people to speak to this matter (and chris)

Many ideas of sales and pricing are expressed from the buyers point of view - which is fine (ideas are good!), until the buyer assumes they know the business/financial model of the seller (misplaced concrete-ness is not good!!), and the devil is in the details.

There are many ways to run a business, and many more ways to go out of business - and not making margin is one of the few guarantees in life.

Yes, there are many good ideas, and maybe some of those ideas expressed on this forum will be picked up and explored further - I hope they are. Just keep in mind that the business person (not an employee with business experience) is the one who is laying their 'everything' on the line . . .
  18. fascination

exactly...I mean look, there are lots of pricey endeavors...ballroom is one of them...if there was a way to make a decent profit without charging that much thus enticing a wider audience of paying customers, I am certain some enterprising soul would have done so by now...and again, unless... one just stepped into a studio yesterday, this shouldn't be a shocker...personally, I skip all of the evening shows so that I can afford to dance....
  19. Kitty

Kitty New Member

do you think some of these people would come spectate on another night as well if the price was lower though?
  20. croaker

croaker New Member

Well if someone can explain to me how having expensive tickets + an empty ballroom
    is better than cheaper tickets + audience who purchased the tickets I would love
    to hear the business sense of it.