USDC - U.S. Dance Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Jul 30, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not neccessarily an either/or scenario...I have been to plenty of cheaper comps where the ballroom is still empty for the evening events
  2. croaker

croaker New Member

I fail to see the argument for raising the price :p
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

An apt point fascination. The organizers need to calculate how many tickets they project selling at any given price, and then decide which intersection is most likely to cover their costs (criteria #1) and turn a profit (criteria #2).

[Of course in those cases where an event is being run on a non-profit basis (e.g. college comps, USA Dance, etc.) criteria #2 may even be an afterthought, especially as accessibility to participants becomes a top priority.]
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I wonder if people who came to watch on Saturday were locals, who perhaps did not compete themselves, and did not have to stay in the hotel, etc. So all their expense was $60.
  5. croaker

croaker New Member

I'm sorry, but how is the statement "even at a cheaper price the ballroom was empty" proves a point for expensive tickets? I can't imagine organizers thinking:
    - Oh, we didn't sell this year, what to do, what to do?!
    - I know! We'll increase the price!
    - Then people will come! Brilliant!
  6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

But this says something about those comps' efforts (or lack of them) to market itself as a spectator event (especially its evening sessions) to local audience. However, local spectating audience is less likely to show up on weeknights for a longer comp.
  7. SDsalsaguy

That's not the argument that was being made croaker. Read my post, #423.
  8. Some Day

Some Day New Member

That would be me....couldn't afford it otherwise
  9. croaker

croaker New Member

Well then, if at a higher price point there're not enough buyers the price should go down,
    no? I still don't see in what light what fascination said can be considered "an apt point"...
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

croaker, is your name really chris? lol...
  11. SDsalsaguy

The point is a basic one of economics; simply that more sales as lower price doesn't automatically generate more revenue than lower sales at higher prices. The question is one of intersections between supply and demand at variable price points, and total revenue is what organizers are typically trying to maximize.
  12. fascination

well...if the place is gonna be empty either way, might as well charge what the already present and largely isolated population is able, not delighted, to spend
  13. fascination

it didn't look like there was much of that to me tanya...more like spouses of dancers and the like who had been hangin' at the pool the rest of the time
  14. fascination

they aren't thinking that more will come...they are thinking of what the highest price that isn't a deterrant will be....
  15. fascination

it seems to me that most organizers do not place a very high priority on that source as their revenue...an arguably wise decision IMO
  16. fascination

that's good to hear...i would still maintain that there aren't enough folks like you to make an organizer drop the price
  17. fascination

b/c your premise presumes that lowering the price will increase the interest...while that may be true of a small local comp though I doubt it, I seriously doubt too many people in orlando are going to high-tail it out to the royal pacific for a night of ballroom dancing...and at a comp like this with fewer locals dancing, they can't even rely upon causual drop-ins...only family members who have travelled with the dancer...meh...we don't need to agree...just my view
  18. reb

reb Active Member

Bingo.
  19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

You know, i didn't sleep through two semesters of accounting just to hear it all again in here. ;)
  20. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

If one had to guess where the majority of the spectators come from what would it be?

1. Pro/am competitors who participated in the day sessions
    2. Family/friends of pros
    3. random spectators