USDC - U.S. Dance Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I will dancing on Wednesday and Saturday with a student.
  2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I will be dancing Wednesday and Friday.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

Liz...I doubt there will be more entries than hotlanta...I have never been there but that is what I have heard...if we are speaking solely about number of entries here...I will be there the entire time, dancing all 4 styles but more smooth and standard than latin or rhythm
  4. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Are you refering to Pro, Am or Pro-Am? This will be my first time competing at this but from what I've heard:

Pro - definitely big
    Am - mid-to-big
    Pro/Am - mid

As far as Pro/Am, which is where I fit in, I think OSB is the real national championship.
  5. reb

reb Active Member

Or, if you win one but not the other . . .
  6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Last year, am was not big. That's the only time I've ever been, though, so I have no idea if that is typical or aberrant.
  7. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

Liz- don't be nervous just dance the way you always do- Hotlanta is bigger in the pro-am field, I think that it's prestigious to attain a title though!

On that note- which comp is OSB? And why would you have to attain a title at one and not the other?
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

OSB = Ohio Star Ball

The official national pro-am title comes from USDC (previously USBC and USDSC), but for pro-am the OSB attracts all the same top competitors and a larger field, so unofficially is considered the more important title by some.
  9. liz

liz New Member

dancing pro/am rising star rhythm on Saturday.... I agree about OSB being the real championship... This being my first full year of competing, we thought the USBSC would give me a good warm-up.
  10. liz

liz New Member

that is when it gets interesting,,, wouldn't you say?
  11. liz

liz New Member

Will be my first year at OSB:D:D:D I get to dance the open rhythm this year... I am really looking forward to it...
  12. liz

liz New Member

Speaking of Hotlanta.... I am dancing with Fabian Sanchez at Hotlanta this year... I met him in Argentina at the WDC world pro/ams earlier in the year. I realized that he is only a couple of hours from me in Birmingham... It is really going to be fun working with him...Not sure what we are going to dance there just yet. Should be enteresting...
  13. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I'm in no positon to win either :cool:
  14. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

I have never been to OSB - I obviously know about it - what happens is that I can't afford to go to both. (and Hotlanta in my Fav so I end up spending money to go to that which is in the middle of the two!) SO I ended up going and got 2 titles last year at USDC. I hate to think that it was not worth it, but then again it is the official title holder correct? Maybe I will have to go to both and compare this year. That is most likely why there are different winners- different competition attends both. I personally thought it was a smaller entry wise but the field and level of dancers was pretty tough and competitive. Was not a given that is for sure!
  15. fascination

I have never been to usdsc, but I can say that OSB is huge...and the competition is unparalleled....am looking forward to usdsc though...if for no other reason than to enjoy the hulk rollercoaster...pro will not go on it with me but, I have another buddy who will...love that thing
  16. liz

liz New Member

Taking the kids with me to Florida... gonna make a vacation out of the trip... Will be the first time they have seen me compete. My fav of all the place is Animal Kingdom... I really loved it there..We will hit the Hulk sometime in the week...
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's my fave coaster... and every time i ride it i feel i've died & gone to heaven. :D :D :D :D
  18. fascination

we go to disney all the time ...were there a month ago in fact...so I am sticking to universal...margaritaville primarily ;)
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep. fan of universal over the other parks, myself. wish i were goin'...
  20. fascination

don't get me wrong...I far prefer disney...but I don't get to universal as often so I am sticking with it this time