USDSC 2013

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Aug 19, 2013.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I love Liana's dancing too! I could watch her dance all day long.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I agree and understand GJB, but really did want to see how it looked to others as well.

In my case it was interesting, as I was watching and talking with Natalka throughout. My preference has always been for the version the Telonas produced, her preference was for Jose's. We both understood what the other was appreciating though. I only use this by way of prelude to note that my perspective on the current battle at the top is not based in either of the current contenders' camps (Natalka can comment for herself if she chooses).

Overall I agree with your assessment in finding Decho & Bree's approach too sterile. Don't get me wrong, I think they're fine dancers, but I don't get any of the deep emotional connection that I want (and which the Telonas personified) or the rhythm "flavor" (or, as you say, sabor) of rhythm. Indeed, going through my images afterward, I find many great lines, but very straight-up-and-down otherwise.

As much as I appreciate Emanuel's energy, it has at times been too kinetic and "in your-face" for my taste. This year, however, he tempered it well which really allowed Liana to shine. She's such a phenomenal dancer -- artistically, technically, and emotively -- and on this night she was able to show it more than I have ever seen before. For me, then, they would have been my winners.

Those two couples aside, Nazar and Irina also took several first place marks and for good reason. Several of the dynamics they have been working on for years seem to be valued higher in Rhythm (vs. Latin), and the two of them do an excellent job taking advantage of and filling up the slower music. They have energy to spare, but which always seems to be fully harnessed and like it is being performed for you (vs. at you, as can sometimes be the case with Emanuel). I hadn't seen Nazar and Irina's rhythm in person before this USDC, and would say that as unprecedented as it may be to have the RS winner's place 3rd in Open, it was well deserved and probably just a prelude to what comes next.

3. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Hi Chris. You probably already know, but the Pro Smooth video folder doesn't work. :(

4. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize until I read DanceBeat's report that there were people clamoring for Nazar and Irina to win outright, though I'm chuffed to hear it. They quickly became one of my favorite couples as soon as I saw the video from Emerald, and I hope I get the chance to see them compete in person some day. I particularly love their Bolero -- how it sweeps right across the floor at the beginning and how, as you said, they find a way to really fill out the music and connect with one another and the audience.

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I'm also a fan of Jose's. Have been since he danced with Jamie back in the '90s. Jose and Emmanuel are my two favorite Rhythms guys and I found it difficult to pick a favorite when they both danced.

dlliba10 likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Id take Bob Powers over both of them....

7. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

When I watched them dance at USDC, it seemed to me that they did not take a step without having a purpose behind it. They told a story with each step, it was very engaging to watch, and they drew you into their dancing. And, when I had the chance to meet Nazar and talk to him a little bit, he is just a really, really likable guy! What a great personality!

SDsalsaguy, debmc and dlliba10 like this.
  8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I was a fan of Bob too... but I think I only saw him dance in person once unfortunately.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

\
    I had the pleasure many times.. no male has ever shown the clarity of difference between the dances in rhytym as Bob did

you know what dance it was by his attitude even before he moved!! talk about sabor!!!

10. SDsalsaguy

Add me to the list of those who loved watching Bob and Julia on the floor!

As far as this year's USDC, anyone have opinions about the dancing in the other divisions?

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

um...none that I'd care to share :)

12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Everyone in the Smooth section was *on fire*, from what I could tell through the stream. Sad that the Tufts didn't make it in, but absolutely enamored of Gary and Susan and the way they danced. Also, good on Mazen and Iza for coming out on top of a Rule 11.

13. SDsalsaguy

lol :rofl:

fascination likes this.
  14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Here 's an opinion. Not related to the dancing though : )

Anastasia Muravyeva looked great in that red dress : )

15. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Hi JJS914,the smooth folder does not work for me in Firefox but does in Explorer. Dont really want to redo it at moment but will a bit later
    Let me know if it works for you in explorer

Chris

16. SDsalsaguy

17. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

You obviously never saw Vernon Brock or Bobby Medeiros dance. They both kinda set the table for Amer.style Rhythm. Bobby even went on ,to become a 1st class Intern. latin dancer/tracher;he was even invited ,to do the Blackpool congress.
    Vernon, was probably one of the most inventive dancers of any age/era .Both were personal friends of mine .

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dude...not saying you don't have the right, but you are such an inveterate name-dropper.

samina likes this.
  19. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

That works Chris. Thanks for the tip!

20. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I was so happy for Gary and Susan! I really enjoy their dancing (although I have to admit their showdances are what made me become a fan in the first place).