USDSC 2013

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Casey

Casey Member

I’m with Natalka on Jose, and am still upset about the decision at Capital a few years ago that unseated him and Joanna in favor of Bree & Decho, after which Jose & Joanna didn’t compete again. Natalka might have more insight into that decision on J&J’s part, but I’ve boycotted Capital since, not that my spectator dollars are any great loss to anyone.

2. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that had happened. Tried going to Supershag's site to get the full line-up of that final, but the event mislinks to a pro-am event ... I'm an enormous Jose and Joanna fan, and just speaking from personal preference, I'd be hard pressed to find a way to mark Decho and Bree over them.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

you obviously should never type never :D

saw bobby in a demo... and prefer my dancing to be more athletic than vernons style

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Think I found it, and I hope this link works for you:
    http://gallery.supershag.com/g/260

I am a Jose de Camps fan, definitely, and I think it is possible he should have won Capital 2010, but I also am of the opinion that the judges have to judge what they see on any given night and anyone can have an off night. While I might not have marked it the way the judges did--and it was 3 dances to 2, so hardly a landslide--I think it is downright healthy for judges not to feel locked in to marking the incumbent champion, or the finalists from last year. Part of the reason why Nazar and Irina's rise is so amazing--other than the fact that they are so genuinely fun to watch--is that this doesn't happen very often in dancesport. It usually takes awhile for new couples to break into the final, never mind winding up on the medal stand.

I really like Jose/Joanna's flavor of rhythm, but even the greats can have an off night. I did not think Jose/Joanna had a particularly great night when they did their showdance at the 2010 IDSF World Latin Championships in NYC. Their number was of course good, but it wasn't mind-blowing, and I know they are capable of being mind-blowing. I was a little disappointed because for many of the non-Americans there, this was one of the few chances they get to see American style. Others may disagree with this assessment, but I have seen performances that had the whole audience leaping to their feet, and this one was not of that caliber in my view. You can judge for yourselves:

RE: The current pro rhythm scene.

I would have liked to see Emmanuel/Liana win. I like so many things about their dancing. Can I just mention how much I love her feet and ankles? Emmanuel had some partners when he first went pro where you would watch him like 95% of the time. In Liana he has a partner who matches his energy and charisma with her own charisma and an exquisite technique and finish. I feel like, on any given night, they could produce the winning performance and I hope it happens for them soon.

dlliba10 likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

if you were watching Emmanuel more than Julia Gorchacova or Joanna...

6. ChaChaMama

I was actually talking about PRIOR to 2003. Joanna was not the first person I saw him dance with. He definitely appeared in some mambo competition in the US with a different partner or maybe even a couple different partners whom he overshadowed.

Not sure of the name(s), but will try to do some research to refresh my recollection.

7. Mr 4 styles

everybody has those

8. Casey

Casey Member

That's why we need a dancesportinfo.net for American style! I can picture one of the partners, from Haiti, but can't find a name.

And then did: Alexandra Gregoire --

and here's a photo and part of the bio:

"Pierre-Antoine with former partner Alexandra Gregoire
    Emmanuel and his former partners from Haiti regularly participated in competitions the world over, including England, the United States, and Canada where they focused primarily on International Latin style competition.
    In January 2003, Emmanuel closed Caminito to concentrate on his dance career in the dance capital of the world, New York City where he not only competed professionally but also started competing with several of his students in Pro-Am divisions including International Latin and Standard, American ..."
    http://pragmaticobotsunite.com/tuesday-open-thread-africanamericans-in-ball-room/

9. Casey

Casey Member

But this discussion reminds me of my experience watching in Orlando one year. I watched Emmanuel & Lianna do one dance and was impressed with their technique and was completely into that dance. But, any time my eyes roved around the floor, and Jose & Joanna came into view, that was it. J&J were compelling.

10. ChaChaMama

Thanks, C! I was pretty sure I wasn't imagining it. And I agree that it is hard not to have more of a database for American style.

SDsalsaguy and Larinda McRaven like this.
  11. dlliba10

Slightly OT, but someone created a dancesportinfo.net profile for my partner and me -- who compete in American Smooth. And literally neither of us created it. How do these things get created anyway? We've been competing in Open for about a year and a half now, but of the dozen or so comps we've done, only three are listed in our results: one that was a three couple straight final, one that we ended up scratching due to Sandy ('last place'), and one legit comp that we made it into the final from a semi. So strange.

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I believe if you dance an open event at a comp that they care enough to put in the database, then you get a profile, automatically?

Huh, they coded Smooth as "Amateur Ballroom" and don't distinguish it from Standard - that just gets confusing.

13. dlliba10

That's the question -- we've competed at more high profile competitions than, for example, Rutgers (not even our MIT results are on there). It seemed a bit arbitrary.

And yeah, that's the confusing part too. Any DF web developers willing to start up a real American database? :D

14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Dooooo it!

ajiboyet likes this.
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

... I have tried working with programmers before on this very project. I had a very large sum of money ready to pour into the project. I was left high and dry by some, and blown off from the get go by others.
    I am willing to work with someone again.

dlliba10 likes this.
  16. Casey

Casey Member

dlliba10 :

Zbyszek Swirski, a very cool Polish Ph.D. statistician who lives in England, is the mastermind behind dancesportinfo.net. He can delete your American smooth entry – just email him at webmaster@dancesportinfo.net. They are quite up on things even in the U.S. and are happy to fix things such as a pro-am student getting into the mix w/ her teacher and causing a new partnership.

Larinda:

Patrick Johnson told me about 10 years ago that he wanted to do a partnership database. Maybe he is still interested. Maybe Zbyszek would be interested. SDSAlsaGuy met him at Blackpool and might have some ideas.

17. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I might be interested. Do you have a good idea of what you want?

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting.... Bob Powers gave Emmanuel and Liana 1st place in all 5 dances in the final round! I like those scores!

dlliba10 likes this.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that does not surprise me in the least...and I am all for it :)

debmc likes this.
  20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member