Using different dance instructors?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Melody58, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Melody58

Melody58 New Member

I was wondering do you think it ok to use two different dance instructors at two different dance schools ...I ask because hubby and I love it and one hour a week does not seem enough and we were thinking about going elsewhere one night of the week too but do you think the instructions would conflict with each other?

2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Why not take from the same instructor for the different nights?

3. sixela

sixela Active Member

You _hope_ they'll give you a different perspective on things. The conflict may be puzzling at times, but it'll only help you understand things better in the long run (unless, of course, one of the instructors is an idiot and the other is not).

I'd certainly go for two different dance instructors. If you don't like it afterwards, ditch the one you don't like.

bordertangoman likes this.
  4. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

How long have you been dancing? How many studios and instructors did you see before you decided on your current instructor?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I hope they will, only this will help you further.

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Unless both instructors are teaching from the same syllabus, and have had the same teacher training, which would be very uncommon with Argentine Tango, you very likely learn about different parts of the elephant, as it were.
    Things could be either contradictory or complementary. You might have to sample to find out.

bordertangoman, Mladenac and sixela like this.
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That would be my concern. If one is teaching apilado and the other is teaching milonguero style (or whatever), how will you rectify this in your mind? As long as you can deal with each teacher teaching it a different way and insisting their way is correct and can somehow make it work in your dance, it can be good to get the varying perspective.

8. opendoor

@Melody: Styles are absolutely subsidiary in the beginning. What simply counts is language, intelligibility, presence, attention, concept. Secondly clientele.

By the way, apilado style and milonguero style are more or less the same. It means tight hold with chest to chest or forhead to temple contact. Apilado means piled up, milonguero refers to the sort of men that used to dance this way. Other words for this style are almagro and confiteria style. Almagro was a sports club where Susana Miller gave lessons. Confitería refers to confectionery, a sort of constricted venue for coffee, cake and tango dancing in Buenos Aires.

Styles come and go. There are many and you will learn some of them sooner or later.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

:eek: Blasphemer!!!

opendoor likes this.
  10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

My point is not so much style as it is conflicting opinions on how much connection to use, etc.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. opendoor

Disagreed. At Melody´s stage any stylist will teach practice hold. In this concern there is no difference between stage, milonguero, VU, and neo style. Here about, anyway (Hamburg, Germany).

12. Steven123

Steven123 Member

In my experience, I have had one teacher tell me something I am doing is good, and then another one say I need to do it differently. They may be both getting at the same ultimate goal but with different levels of patience. I don't know. Maybe one of them knows something the other one doesn't. It is hard to tell when we are in the role of learner. Sometimes I think it is confusing to learn to dance to one type of music from more than one teacher at a time. My advice is to stick with the class where you think you are benefiting more for at least several months or a year before you switch to learn the next teacher's point of view. It is a good idea to get more than one source of input along the journey though.

13. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

In my opinon there are at least half a dozen different tangos out there, and depending on who teaches them how they are more or less compatible with each other. I think if you accept that the different teachers are (potentially) teaching completely different dances and that taking more than one tango class is more like crossover training than having two perspectives on the same thing you can profit a lot. It is like running - a sprinter will give different advice than a marathon runner (if you don't this will cause more frustration than anything else - i have seen some very experienced dancers being very unhappy in workshops of teachers who did everything different from what they were accustomed to).
    This will require that you have some idea of the "gestalt" of what you are doing now. I think this awareness comes after maybe a half a year of taking classes or so.

I would suggest that you simply try - if you are learning two different dances you will be fine, if you are learing the same dance from two different perspectives you will also be fine, and if you are learning two similar dances that are just different enough to mess up your muscle memory then you will notice the problem pretty soon (usually when each class becomes a comedy of the teachers correcting things that the other teacher corrected one way back to other way- e.g. walking toe first or walking heel first, filling out the embrace or maintaining forward presence), and they you can pick at least for now one, and add the other perspective later when you are more grounded.

Gssh

14. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

If you decide to take from a different instructor, it is good to remember that the teacher #1 is not responsible for the material the teacher #2 gives you ( and vice versa). It is not their job to conform their respective instructions in your head.
    While it is OK to ask questions about the stuff you learned from the teacher #2, it is helpful to keep in mind that the teacher #1 was not with you in the class of the teacher #2, and at times it is impossible for him/her to clarify or even comprehend what the teacher #2 really meant by this or that.
    If one teacher gives you instructions that sound as opposite from the ones other teacher had given you earlier, don't rush to blame the teacher(s). Consider that you might had been doing the opposite thing at the time, hence, the instructions/corrections you got at the time were completely opposite. Later you may discover that a lot in tango is about finding the right balance of opposite things.

Subliminal likes this.
  15. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I think if you're really gung-ho about tango and in the happy infatuation stage, more exposure is good. Just keep in mind, when we're beginner dancers it's hard for us to understand the difference between a stylistic preference and a core technique when learning from different teachers.

One of the best things my first teacher told me is, "If you learn something from another teacher, you apply it, and it helps with connection or balance, consider adapting it into your dance as a core technique. If you try it and it does not directly aid your balance or connection, consider it a stylistic preference and use it or don't."

Something like that, I forget the exact quote. But you get the idea. :)

16. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying twnkltoz. And I see opendoor's point too... around here, I think most of the teachers start with practice hold as well. But as you get to close embrace, you would probably run into a clash over close embrace vs close embrace apilado around here now. That is something Melody and her husband will have to come to terms with, but hopefully not until they have a few months dance experience. Who knows, there might not even be a style choice where they dance.

17. newbie

newbie Active Member

Yes and yes. Two instructors will always conflict. One of my current instructors is conflicting with her own teaching of the previous years.
    Eventually you will build your own tango, picking this from one instructor and that from the other and adding your own creations.

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I think it's fine, as long as you can deal with the inevitable fact that some instructions will conflict. If you can't deal with that, then don't.

FYI, there are many preferences masquerading as facts.

bordertangoman, Gssh and twnkltoz like this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

"and the Argentine Tango Understatement of the Year Award goes tooooo"....... *drumroll*

dchester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well said btw!

bordertangoman and twnkltoz like this.
  20. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

BTW, a number of new students find it confusing to hear that some things are just stylistic preferences, and they will eventually have to pick what works best for them and their bodies in the dance. They would prefer to hear a straight, unambiguous answer: "the right way of doing 'it' is THIS way".

Gssh likes this.