Variations following a Feather Finish

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by JoepiE, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

ROFL !!!

2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Reverse Outside Swivel. Anybody heard of it? We practiced it for a couple of hrs last nite. The routine was Three Step - Natural Twist ending with Feather Finish - Reverse Outside Swivel.

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

What rule would that be?

You wouldn't dance it the same way as in waltz, but with care most waltz actions (especially the ones without characteristic foot closure waltz rise) can be performed in a way appropriate to the character of foxtrot.

And don't forget that the tango version of the fallaway whisk is widely used, hopefully without rise and fall.

Generally speaking, other than in closed syllabus competition, what is "legal" is what the dancers can fit into the established idea of what a dance is about.

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Foxtrot adaptation of a syllabus tango figure. Tricky to learn though - to practice fully leading it you need to find someone aware of the possibility (so that they won't balk at the oustide partner to promenade transition) but not expecting it (so they won't rescue a bad lead)

5. tangotime

Again-- a fairly common figure often introduced at the higher levels ( also used in Waltz )

Can also be dance from a rev.turn, lady left side

6. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

On a comp long, long ago I had to improvise a piece of SF choreography (probably because I forgot what the choreography was in the first place;)). A little bit of SW and a lot of nothing and... a whisk... Feeling really good about myself because I managed to keep moving the entire dance and having actually led my lady I got of the floor. Only to get my as... behind kicked by my coach ... because of the whisk.

I'm exaggerating, it was not that bad, but she told me a whisk cannot be danced in SF, because it disrupts the flow in rise and fall. Now I'm thinking of it and dancing it in my room, I'm not really sure if she's totally right, because, as you say, you could change the R&F, as is done with every figure borrowed from waltz, or tango.

And about the legal thing: You're totally right, but don't tell the others. I'm supposed to be the judge of this game here, I have to think of my credibility!! Please keep it quite... :?

7. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

Hey tangotime, are you gonna explain us how to preform a spledid Prince of Wales? I might just try to stun everyone with it on the nationals this year. And don't tell me to flap my ears and eat scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, and half a tomato for breakfast.

(source: wikipedia :p)

8. tangotime

It is not always a case of whether transitional moves can be made-- more the Q-- do they support the integrity of the dance ?--

Pretty much all coaches ( including myself ) prefer to leave it in the other 3---- had it been totally acceptable, it might have been included in Rev. tech. as a basic figure .

9. tangotime

Curving Feather to Back Feather to Feather finish ( the Prince of Wales emblem-- is 3 feathers -- hence the name )

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Off with his head. No, check that, he might not notice.
    Off with his right foot.

11. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

That's exactly what my coach said. I'm convinced, no whisk in the list.

12. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

LOL. That is his standing leg, you know. It might just not really work...

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's also known as a split ronde. Most often lead (in waltz) from a DRS with an extra bit of rotation at the end to lead the lady to take a small step to the side with her RF, whereupon both partners perform a ronde with the left leg. Commonly followed by a contra check.