Victor/Anastasia vs Arunas/Katusha

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Sep 19, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I see that Victor and Anastasia have come very close to winning the Tango at some recent competitions, sometimes missing by just one mark. Now I may be a little biased because I see Victor and Anastasia all the time, but I really find their dancing more exciting, the choreography more intricate, the quality outstanding. Now I'm sure there are plenty of people that like Arunas and Katusha's dancing better. So may I ask why?

(for the record I love both, I am just saying if I were the judge and had to mark one, which I'm not, I feel Victor and Anastasia are looking very competitive right now)
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

troublemaker:jawdrop:
    Sania likes this.
  3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Teeheehee...

I think Victor and Anastasia are extremely expressive, especially in the tango as you said.

Arunas and Katusha I would describe as "quietly confident," and their dancing isn't as "loud" (and I don't mean that in a bad way) as Victor and Anastasia. Now, that confidence isn't based on nothing, because they REALLY know their stuff. So it depends on what the judges are feeling at that moment in time.

To be honest, it wouldn't be bad to see them take one dance. At all.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

V and A had an outstanding tango at usdc...even though I preferred him with Anna...their tango at usdc was impressive....I did find Arunas and Katusha to be a bit too "quiet"...that being said, I have nothing but respect for both
  5. docco

docco Member

In top 3, I think they all the master in terms of technique, and the judges can not see any difference.
    The remain to get the champion is only how their performance, the music and the judge-feeling resonant in that minutes.
  6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Can we get a link to a recent video to see how they've progressed in the past few years?

I feel quite certain the judges can see differences.
    ajiboyet likes this.
  7. DanceMentor

Here is the most recent I could find at a competition. At Embassy I found the differences even more striking (as did the judges).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Wow.....never thought I would say this, but I really preferred Victor and Anastasia!
  9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, me too. Especially in tango. V and A just seem so much more powerful. This is not to say I don't appreciate A and K's dancing- just less my taste
    middy likes this.
  10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I generally Love Victor's dancing with whomever he partners (Anna, Anastasia etc), but on those 2 video Arunas and Katusha are sooooo much cleaner.. I would clearly mark them first and I am not a fan of their tango...
    danceronice and TinyDancer109 like this.
  11. fascination

can you define cleaner?

sadly, right now the vid for K and A won't play for me...but I will say that V and A' s tango at USDC was, in my opinion better than their clip here and I found them more appealing at USDC....I will have to wait to see this A and K vid
  12. DanceMentor

I agree with the comment about Arunas and Katusha being super clean, but that I hope is not the only criteria for judging them. There choreography seems a lot simpler than that of Victor and Anastasia.
    middy likes this.
  13. Katarzyna

Fascination, to me Anastasia looks thrown in the chase at beginning of the video, I see some overshaping that does not look 100% intentional (strange shapes), moments when frame wobbles. Outside from being a tad boring I don' have any objections to Arunas and Katusha's dancing. You have to excuse me for just looking at the ladies but I can't help myself. Katusha looks always in the proper position, without any tension through the dance. I hate analyzing dancing in this way, but I have not seen either couple for quite a while and to me it seemed really clear who should be first. I do like that Victor and Anna are more passionate and I do like them more, but I would not place them higher... But what do I know, I have not been on the dance floor in over 2 years now.
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  14. Katarzyna

Well clean comes from technique.. If choreography needs simplification to look clean sometimes it's worth it to simplify to achieve the clarity. Of course both couples are fantastic but clean is what makes tango look sharper, its about contained energy. Risks are worth taking but not always in competition setting... I remember when judges were all upset about Pablo and Silvia, commenting that they are doing choreography beyound their technical skill just to get noticed, but once they cleaned things up they won and convinced all the critics....
  15. fascination

thanks for your candor...I didn't mean to put you in an uncomfortable position, but I am trying to hone my own skills in looking critically so I want to look at that
  16. Katarzyna

I generally always tried to not express any opinions here, this one just slipped out.
  17. fascination

well, thank you
  18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Normally, I have a Victor bias.

But comparing these two videos, I think I'd pick A&K.

I think if you really want to see Victor in his tango glory, go find WSSDF videos.
  19. I know this thread is between A&K and V&A, but can we have a third choice?
  20. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

So granted...