Victor/Anastasia vs Arunas/Katusha

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Sep 19, 2013.

1. For me no one compares to Mirko and Edita

2. youtube [dot] /watch?v=oZ9dTQCh1Dw

youtube [dot] /watch?v=SB4Gntd6jwI

youtube [dot] /watch?v=rD-Ph2dv240

youtube [dot] /watch?v=pu3oK0suOoo

youtube [dot] /watch?v=Ywu9NU0yuqg

3. Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack

4. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Maybe a new thread?

Back to our regularly scheduled programing...

A&K = Controlled, Calm.

V&A = Fevered, Toiled.

ajiboyet likes this.
  5. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Thanks for the videos.

I am rooting for Victor and Anastasia to improve enough to win as soon as possible, but I have to say I find Arunas and Katusha vastly superior in these videos. For example Anastasia's head gets a bit loose at 0:41, and in general is imperfectly positioned, something that's not very noticeable until one looks at Katusha's perfect positioning, as well as her excellent head shaping, such as at 0:17 and 1:11.

In terms of movemennt, Victor and Anastasia tend to flight their tango more than do Arunas and Katusha, and I find their leg action less accurate; Arunas and Katusha do a better job of maintaining the staccato action associated with tango. When they get some open space, their better technique results in Arunas and Katusha having more grounded and powerful movement as well as better floor coverage, such as in the second long side starting at 1:15, though I grant that Victor is better at finding open space.

danceronice likes this.
  6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I guess I agree with this. No doubt A and K are incredibly clean- nearly perfect in their technique. But I do find them a bit boring to watch as well. From a spectator position, V and A are my favorites. I can see why a judge would pick A and K though.

ajiboyet, middy and dancelvr like this.
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I agree with this too, even though I'm not a huge fan of A&K. They are the best technically. But they seem sort of one dimensional in terms of emotions. I feel almost a cold feeling when I watch Katusha dance. At least V and A are more dynamic when it comes to opening up their emotions on the floor. I feel if A&K could up their game emotionally, they would be able to put that much more distance between them and the second place couple. Where as if V&A could be more refined in their technique, yet still very powerful emotionally, they could easily surpass A&K withholding politics, in my opinion.

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

this made me giggle

fascination likes this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

We all know it comes into play, as much as we hate it :p

Mr 4 styles and fascination like this.
  10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Aside from competition, I think it really shows in their showdances too. At Dance Legends a few years ago, V&A nearly brought me to tears with their Waltz, and their Tango made me laugh heartily (because the routine was intentionally funny, not because it was bad). When I watched A&K, it was a bit more ... underwhelming? though I appreciated how precise and technically-sound everything was.

hereKittyKitty, stash and middy like this.
  11. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I prefer Victor & Anastasia's performance quality and the thought they put into their showdances. Arunas and Katusha appear to be practically flawless and do seem technically better, but most of their showdances don't interest me very much - they seem very competition-routine-y with a few showdance elements thrown in. V & A just move me more, in general.

(This thread just makes me think of the other thread debate/discussion about various Latin couples, and it's all about what you value more/less in an "ideal" couple.)

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same thing...it reminds me of some of the debates about top rhythm couples as well....

13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

As Tim Gunn from Project Runway would say, it's all a matter of taste :)

Miss Silly and debmc like this.
  14. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I found it very strange that Anastasia's right foot is more forward than Victor's left foot at their very first promenade position. Is it only me?

15. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I recall a comp in San Fran where there was a show with Victor/Anastasia, Mirko/Edita, and Arunas/Katusha. I was fully expecting to like Mirko/Edita best, then it would be a toss up between the other two couples. Instead, I was blown away by Victor/Anastasia, and Mirko/Edita were sort of disappointing for me. Seeing them in person made a big difference. I don't know that you can always go by what you see in a video. And worth noting, it seemed obvious the crowd liked Victor/Anastasia better that night too. That said, a show is not the same as a competition.

16. Warren J. Dew

I didn't notice that specifically until you mentioned it, but I wasn't thrilled with the link and subsequent walk. That said, Arunas and Katusha aren't perfect on that figure either. Both couples seem to cut short the step out of the link by different amounts.

17. DanceMentor

When you think about the couple that would be more popular on television or to a spectator that didn't know a whole lot, I have to wonder how Arunas and Katusha would compare. There quality is absolutely marvelous, but is that the only thing to consider?

I remember sitting next to someone who didn't know a lot about ballroom dancing. They had watched a quarter, then a semi, and it was the final. They asked who I thought would win, and I said definitely Arunas and Katusha. They were like, "Oh, really? I never would have thought that!". I don't think that would be a unique situation.

18. Warren J. Dew

I think it depends a lot on the spectator. Ultimately, though, competitions are about impressing knowledgeable judges; the place to impress spectators is in shows.

19. DanceMentor

Yea, who needs spectators? :)

ajiboyet and dlliba10 like this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lol... organizers for one!!

ajiboyet and stash like this.