Victor/Anastasia vs Arunas/Katusha

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Sep 19, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no...they really don't
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

what percentage of organizer income per comp is made from selling tickets to the peeps not competing in the various sessions?? with the pro nights being the largest im sure

ill go 5%.. and they live on slim margins soo I think they need them fiscally if not to make the comp look full and important

ill ask sam or john someday I am interested in this
  3. fascination

I don't think ohio is typical...am certain that comps run on the margins...that being said, most of the people in that ballroom are people who danced at the comp....not arguing that every little bit helps...but it certainly isn't the major revenue factor
  4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

You are probably right, but this is not the case in many places in Europe.
    Sania likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

agree... I was thinking galaxy ,holiday more middle sized events with a greater "local draw"
  6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Formula 1 gets plenty of spectators, but they still have no say in the outcome.
  7. DanceMentor

As in the beginning of the thread, V/A are coming close to winning Tango, and in their case they travel less around the floor than A/K if that is the comparison being made.
  8. fascination

I am all about good technique..heavens knows my choices have borne that out...that being said, when I watch people dance I want to see the art....I want to see something emmanating from inside a person....while I would give a digit to be able to dance one 1000th as well as Katusha or Arunas, watching them is flat for me...and I don't think that aspect of dance is irrelevant...then again, I appreciate that my perspective is worthless...for all practical purposes
  9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

You said exactly what I was thinking!
    DanceMentor likes this.
  10. DanceMentor

It is not irrelevant to me either. :)
  11. middy

middy Well-Known Member

When I didn't know much (so, my first couple years of dancing), I liked the flashier couples and whichever ones had the best dresses. Often someone would win and I'd be like, I didn't even notice them!

Now it's a bit different that I have a better appreciation for technique and such, but sometimes the best technical couples are still the ones that draw my attention the least - they might be technically sound but just not that interesting to the eye. Of course, the best ones overall are technically sound AND interesting/exciting to watch.
    DanceMentor likes this.
  12. fascination

right...like usually with Yulia I cannot take my eyes off of her...but that's a DIFFERENT thread :)
  13. DanceMentor

When you say "flashy" does that mean the choreography is more complicated? Can a couple's choreography too simple as well?
  14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I guess I mean flashy in terms of attention-getting, whether it was through choreography or performance.

I don't think choreography can be too simple if it is very well executed. Example here: Sasha & Regina doing only syllabus moves in a champ round of waltz, because they can. They ended up winning the event later (with their regular open routine).

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I love this video. Watching them front row was amazing. They did syllabus all the way through foxtrot, and then opened up with their open quickstep routine in the first round.
  16. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Was this the year when for their dance-on, they just came out of the on deck area backing into a continuous reverse wave that they just did around all four sides of the floor before backing into the on deck area again?
  17. DanceMentor

Beautiful, but I believe in a more challenging field, they would need some higher difficulty level groups to win. Showing basics as part of a routine can be very effective. Showing there are more facets to the couple is important too, like executing a difficult group with great timing and partnership. If difficulty level of choreography was not important, and all couples chose basics, I'm not sure that would be a good thing for the art.
  18. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Maybe? I don't remember.
  19. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. It is effective for contrast, though. Also at some pro championships they have one dance be just basics, right? I think it's really interesting to see just pure dance and technique without the flash and tricks, particularly for Latin.
  20. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Yes, I think so. You can add inflection to any figure, but there's only so far you can go. There are certain dance figures that work better than others at expressing a particular musical element.