Washing gown with feathers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by jump'n'jive, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

Hey I have a standard gown that's stoned and has ostrich feathers on the bottom. I need to have it cleaned. What's the best way to clean it? Have sold it and want it nice and fresh for new owner

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well....I don't know how well made it is...but for my dore' with feathers, I hand wash it....and it is terrifying until the feathers dry...you have to blow them dry or they dry like skinny little worms...but if you use the blow dryer they puff back up....still,if I was selling it, I would just wash the essential parts and thhen let the buyer take that risk

Miss Silly likes this.
  3. jump'n'jive

I believe this is a dore dress or designs to shine can't remember. I guess ill do a hand wash on everything but feathers. Thanks!

4. fascination

you are welcome...if you accidentally get the feathers wet, just make sure you blow them dry or they will dry looking stripped of fluff...it is a long prcess to blow them out but they do look pretty if you put the time in

5. jump'n'jive

What do I use for detergent?

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was reading about cleaning feathers and they recommended using liquid dish soap like joy or dawn. I use woolite when washing my ball gowns though.

7. fascination

dore' recommends against woolite b/c it tends to streak...I use tide liquid, which is what dawn always suggested

8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

sending a PM JandJ. I have a gorgeous white ostrich feather dress by Elaine Gornall. Sending you tips/hints

9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was given a bunch of feather boas (something like 8 or 10 pretty fluffy boas in a couple colors) but I have been hesitant to do anything with them yet because they smell funny. Is there any way to deodorize them without full on washing them all? The boas are already shedding a fair amount and I don't want to end up with just a pile of individual feathers if I can avoid it.

10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Could you spray with diluted vodka or vinegar? Both are pretty gentle but should kill odors pretty well

11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Put them in a bag with an open container of baking soda for a few days?

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Feather and hair is made out of the same material: keratin.

13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I have owned 2 gowns with feathers. The first gown, the hem was a Boa of feathers. I traveled a lot with that gown in a dance bag, and they feathers always just fell out. However because this gown was a VERY expensive Dore gown I had the gown cleaned by a professional, so there was somewhat of an extra cost there. I suppose I could of cleaned it myself, but I lacked the nerve!

The next gown, which I still own, had feathers going down the length of the gown, more like "whisps" rather than heavy feathers... This gown I hand wash with Tide in a bath tub and always comes out great, with no blow dryer involved!

14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I've never personally experienced cleaning a feathered gown myself as my two last feather gowns were sold when they were still in like new condition. The girl who bought it were very happy with how well they perform, no falling out feathers, skirt light/flowy and easily fits easily in a bag; she had used liquid laundry detergent washed once by hand and she commented turned out nice and clean and feather didn't lose fullness after drying (she didn't mention usage of a blow dryer though).

If I have to clean it myself, I would also use liquid detergent and hand wash in tub, I also don't have the nerve to throw it in washer machine. I also agree give to a professional cleaner who is experienced in handling ballgowns is another good alternative.