WCS Scene Getting Younger?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hi Jenn . . . yes, a very long time has gone by . . . I'd really like to come up and dance, but it's going to take a while for me to get back into dance shape. I tried a Hustle and a few WCS's last week . . . I had blisters by the end of the night. Of course, there were a few Night Club Two Steps, one Cha, one Waltz - I truly sucked . . .
  2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

@ Spitfire . . . glad to read you are still dancing . . . ballroom, eh? Nice . . .
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Welcome back Vince. :D
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Vince!!!!!!!!! Hi. :-D
  5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wondered what was taking you so long . . . 45,000 posts? You must be bored in Texas . . . how are you? I thought you quit a long time before me!
  6. pygmalion

I am doing well... or at least I was, until you reminded me just how boring Texas is. :wink:

Yes. I did quit DF ... five? six? years ago. I came back just over two years ago, when the death of a friend reminded me what's important to get in a huff over. Illness, death, world hunger? Yes. Irritating stuff in a virtual community? Not so much. :cool:

It's great to "see" you again. Hug your beautiful DW and DD for me. And good luck with getting back into dance competition. :-D
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thank you, and I'll pass those hugs around!
  8. pygmalion

I missed this, tsb. I appreciate the awesomely descriptive post. :-D
  9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

thanks. ironically, i was just telling spitfire through FB yesterday how i had a AWFUL time WCS dancing tuesday night at the hacienda hotel in el segundo. a younger DJ was playing to a predominantly younger crowd, and it was ALL beat-driven thumpa-thumpa-thumpa music.

they played a couple of salsas, and even they were up around 115 BPM. nasty.

i finally requested something blues to dance to, and to my dismay, only 3 couples danced to it on the main floor. i left shortly thereafter.
  10. Spitfire

And not much blues played at tonight's dance which I find so wonderful to dance to so I can relate to this.
  11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't help but notice there was one night with a country two step lesson on their schedule.

This same thumpa thumpa thing is going on in country music. Makes me reflect on how folks felt when rockabilly/rock 'n roll pushed tradtional country aside in the 2nd half of the 50s.

I have been somewhat successful in getting the main dj where I dance to make the volume/bass a bit more tolerable after it inexplicably became really loud and thumping one week. I know the instructors and management were both on my side on that one, although it took a while to get the change implemented.

California Mix, anyone?
  12. chuck4788

chuck4788 Member

I've observed the same thing in Phoenix, lots of college age and twenty somethings attending WCS dances. WOW, they are good!!!
  13. MintyMe

MintyMe Member

I agree. I don't care for the Hacienda (and some other WCS venues) for that reason-- the ALL night thumpa-thumpa-thumpa music!

Recently while out of town, I attended a WCS lesson/dance and the majority of dancers were probably about 30 years old on average, which was a pleasant surprise. But the young DJ also played "their" music-- that thumpa pop hip hop stuff.

And while they were all very good dancers and fun to watch, and I do enjoy a lot of modern stuff, after a while the music and dancing got boring and repetitive. I was ready for something bluesy and gritty. Mix it up!!!

I've started practicing to that type of music now simply because that's what's being played.

It reminds of of going to a disco back in the day. Is WCS the new disco?
  14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Only if you dance where that's the kind of music they play. Frankly, I was bored to tears when I was at the Press Box a few years ago. Same slow blues tempo for every song.
    I'll take country for West Coast Swing any day. We dance 'em slow, and we dance 'em fast, and we dance 'em everywhere in between.

Our huge influx of young people suddenly disappeared, and the old regulars came out of the wood work. (Not many of the young gals do WCS, but still....) Gee, you think maybe it has something to do with school for the young, and, as someone told me, a lack of other places to dance for the more mature???
  15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

never been to the press box - even though it was the only place to do WCS on fridays for quite a while.

this effect isn't limited to WCS, you can see it in what passes for the blues scene in LA as well. the younger dancers have abandoned the blues aesthetic in favor of music coined "turquoise" as evidenced by a venue called the blues liberation front. i have yet to patronize this venue. it's also expressed by what's been termed "fusion", which as best as i can describe it, is attempt to incorporate movements/figures popular in other dances despite not having the music that prompted those moves and figures actually driving the movement.

it reminds me of the story concerning a recipe that had been passed down a couple of generations. the recipe included trimming off pieces of the meat and putting those pieces around the sides of the main piece of meat. one of the grandchildren had occasion to ask why the recipe called for that, and the grandparent said that the pan they used was too small, so they trimmed the meat to fit. but it's not just young people who do this kind of thing. the bottom line is that for some dancers, it's more about listening to the music and choosing their movements accordingly. for other dancers, it's about doing certain movements and they're just as happy dancing to the equivalent of a metronome. it is what it is.
  16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I see an older crowd, unfortunately. That has been one of the reasons that I've never really got into it. On that note a couple questions:

1. Are WCS / Salsa / Cha Cha Cha nights common anywhere? To me that would be a wonderful combination of dances that I liked to do.

2. For those of you seeing a younger crowd and perhaps also having places with an older crowd what differentiates the two? What is it about the music and venue at the places that attract the younger crowd?
  17. Spitfire

Do you mean like all these going on at the same place at once? There is a dual C&W/WCS every forth Saturday here and dual Ballroom/WCS every Friday in the Phoenix area.
  18. suncoursing

suncoursing New Member

Another Austinite! Hi! If you do west coast or blues, I've surely met you at some point.

Unfortunately, I don't think the trend has continued since you made your post. I've managed to convince some (younger) blues dancers to try the main west coast venue, but most common thing I've heard afterwards is that it feels "cliquey". The new combined wcs/blues dance has sparked some interest, but people tend to try the regular Tuesday dance once or twice and then go back to doing blues.

I know a number of younger couples who practice and compete regularly, but pretty much never social dance, so when I go out west coasting I find a few people around my age and a giant group of older folks.
  19. Kenzie D.

Kenzie D. New Member

I'm in Northern Colorado I hardly ever see anyone of age at my local dance scene! I'm sixteen, my dance partner is less than a year younger and we're the youngest kids there. But I also live in a college town. So there's a lot more young people running around anyway. There is this one 60 or 70 something year old man that comes but he just creeps everyone out. We don't have many middle aged people though. Is that abnormal?