wearing dance shoes in regular life? (ladies)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by lemonade, Aug 24, 2009.

1. lemonade

lemonade New Member

Has anyone ever tried this? I am mostly thinking of court shoes in leather and it occured to me when I saw someone wearing what looked to me like a court shoe...I asked her and she said no it was a shoe from DSW. It was black. But it really looked somilar to a ballroom shoe with a cuban heel. Since so much effort is put into building a quality dance shoe, I was wondering if it would be ok to wear for long stretches of time while doing other things besides dancing...situations where you feel the need for arch suport etc. ...even to the mall:). This would assume only wearing them on carpet or tile (not walking outside in them)
    So, can anyone think of why that would not be a good idea? Or has anyone tried doing that? I would love to hear any thoughts!

P.S. This would be a separate shoe not used for dancing...only for non-dancing situations...I realize it would not be good to do that and then turn around and try to dance in it too:)

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

3. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I just found out that one of my friends wear dance shoes in regular life. She said she has feet problems and decided to wear dance shoes. I asked her if it was comfortable, and she was very positive about the outcome. :p

4. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I do sometimes. I've known several ladies who were getting married and wore dance shoes as their bridal shoes.

5. Me

Me New Member

I do!

I wear jazz sneakers practically everywhere I go. These are one of the many styles of black with rubber bottoms by Bloch. When I dress for parties, I wear my tango shoes. The tango shoes I wear are stiletto heels with leather bottoms by Comme il Faut. :)

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Like where? I think they're really comfortable, but wearing them outside would just mess up the soles. So I don't.

7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I did that.

8. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Yes, I used to wear dance shoes all the time in the office, back when I had a job where I needed to wear "nice" shoes. I used to keep them under my desk, and change into them when I got to work, so I wasn't wearing them outside too frequently. (The thin soles of dance shoes don't mix well with cobblestoned streets.) They were very comfortable.

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Like Me, I wear my AT shoes (CiF) as dress shoes. Or sorta dress shoes. Or whenever I want to wear sexy shoes with my outfit. And since mine are leather soled, I still dance in them.

10. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

I've heard of it, and have brought along my older (but still nice) pairs of practice shoes to wear at weddings and such where there will be dancing and I will be doing standing. Another idea is to take old practice shoes (assuming your shoes are "demoted" from new competition shoes -> practice shoes -> old practice shoes) and have their soles replaced from suede to regular soles, and then wear them out. Not only do you get more wear out of your shoes, they also are already broken in and conform to your feet.

11. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

By the time my shoes are demoted to practice shoes, they are in no condition to be worn as nice street shoes:( I've worn my WCS shoes outside when I need to quickly run to my car or something and it's not wet out, but I don't normally wear dance shoes anywhere but dancing. I figure at that price point, I don't want to wear those shoes as street shoes:) I figure I can find enough comfortable flats, wedges or whatnot for a fraction of the price of dance shoes.

12. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Agree. I can find plenty of comfortable, cute, affordable street shoes instead of wearing my dance ones.

13. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I wear dance shoes out side of the studio all the time. Granted the ones I do wear out I never use in the studio, cause I have others. Also, some of the companies online will give you the option to order them with rubber soles.

14. Larinda McRaven

But if you are not wearing them any longer (or ever) for dancing then what do the soles matter?

15. Larinda McRaven

Yes, there are far less expensive options... but I just feel I have more stability and comfort in dance shoes than in cheap dress shoes. The only pair of dress shoes I have that are comfortable for hours on end are a pair of Pradas. And I am not inclined to spend that much money for shoes any time soon, so in that regard dance shoes are still a far cheaper option.

16. hamstersphere

hamstersphere New Member

I second Peaches. Comme il Fauts are exponentially better than dress shoes, any day.

17. lemonade

lemonade New Member

Thanks so much everyone, this is very helpful, I will be considering this! It had never even occurred to me and yet is a nice alternative when considering one's feet.

18. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Just looked at them...I had never seen them before...and WOW, those are some gorgeous shoes!!!

19. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I have not yet done so, but seriously considering doing it because most of comfortable dress shoes are expensive ones like Prada sort of high end of brand, more mid-price range ones within my budget hurt quite bad; standard court shoes are more affordable and comfortable than most party dressy shoes.

20. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Me too! I used my flesh tone Latin heels since that's what I'm used to. I figured my gown was long enough that my shoes were barely visible anyway. No one commented or noticed, I definitely saved money, and I was comfortable as well.