Wedding Gift Ideas for couples age 35+

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by ChaChaMama, May 3, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Crossing all of my fingers and toes too...he's fantastic.

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Huge coincidence: my sister is marrying a Police Captain!

Her date is coming up fast: Sunday, May 20th. When is yours, Larinda?

BEST WISHES for many happy years together!

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That's kinda my lament Lioness... you are young and the lists are geared toward students/people who have 10 dollar pots and pans.

I would guess at least half of marriages today are for couples in the 30+ range. I am over 40, and getting married for the first time... so these lists clearly don't appeal to me.

These lists are for starting an ADULT life... Not about starting a MARRIAGE.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Do NOT buy her a sledgehammer, an ax and a cooler. Just sayin.

Seriously. Is she registered? Do you know her well enough to know if her registry reflects what she really wants?

5. Larinda McRaven

woah, that is coming up fast!
    me, Aug 4.
    Congrats to your sister :)

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yup. Totally understand...and if I already had an established house, I would definitely not want a whole bunch of trinkets. I'd probably, in that case, limit a registry to specific items...sort of an "I'd like a new microwave...[brand] has a really nice one that I think would be useful" sort of thing.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea...this would be my view...and certainly to each his own...it is not my intent to judge...and we all have different kinds of weddings...I didn't (and wouldn't in the future) have alot of peripheral people or obligatory invites, because that is not the life I have or the occupation that would in anyway require it...but others may have other obligations and sensibilities...I also, working with engaged couples every week, don't have alot of stresses about "the event"...because I don't ever see stressing over peripherals, and I also don't ever think of a timeline for a thank you beyond inside of a few months...so...for me...and only me...my preference would be to do it myself...and, as I pretty much hate phone conversations with all but a few people, it would be my practice to write them personally...it isn't to cast aspersions on others whose situations are different... I like writing...I like recieving thoughtful notes from others...I save things like that for rainy days....

8. pygmalion

Yeah. I was over thirty when I married, and $10 irons didn't cut it. I'd already had and thrown away plenty of $10 irons. I had several GF's combine resources and pay for the B&B where the ex and I honeymooned. The ex paid for the wedding. The ex and I paid for the reception together. I had trouble paying for the honeymoon (even though that was my commitment,) since I'd just paid for a REALLY EXPENSIVE trip to his homeland to get approval from FIL. So my GF's paid for the hotel stay, while I paid for everything else.

9. fascination

back to the original question; my husband would love disney stock...I think that stock, particularly if folks have an attachment to a particular brand, can be a cool thing.....

10. pygmalion

I think stock would be an awesome gift.

11. pygmalion

I hear you, f. Back in the day, i spent every Sunday afternoon getting/keeping in touch, to the point that, when my Dad's Mom died, I got honored at her funeral for being "the card giving girl" -- the one who sent her a card or letter or gift basket multiple times a week for the last few years of her life.

When I got married, I was in charge of a couple multi-million dollar projects at work, I visited my husband -to-be's family all by myself in a developing foreign country for more than a month, a month before my wedding, I relocated across the US, I dealt with my twin's disapproval of my soon-to-be-husband (on religious grounds,) and I dealt with the fact that a close loved one had recently been diagnosed with cancer. (He came to my wedding, btw. That's the last time I saw him alive.) I didn't then and I certainly don't intend now to explain or excuse. I did the best I could, the best I could. That's all. I called and thanked my friends and relatives in person, sometimes weeks or (as much as many) months later. That is the best I could do and I did it. Done.

All THAT said,yes. It can be very hard to buy gifts for mature couples. So why not ask them what they really want?

12. Larinda McRaven

No one is judging YOU... no need to extensively defend yourself or the choices you made at a certain time in your life. People just chimed in that it is not their preference.

13. pygmalion

True. And yes, I hear that I am defensive, after multiple times of hearing that hand-written cards are better. Yup. They are, if you can write them.

We're back to that window. I have no idea of what's going on in anyone else's life, other than what they choose to share. That's why I (annoy some people and ) bend over backward to validate other people's choices. I have no idea about you. You have no idea about me.

And BOT. I found a really nice set of Le Creuset at chefs resource dot com for $379. *nudge nudge wink wink*

14. fascination

pretty sure my post acknowleged all of that and would appreciate it if we could move on

15. pygmalion

I don't feel like your post acknowledged all of that and I trust you enough to say so. That being said, yup. Let's move on.

I am lobbying for Le Creuset, if the bride or groom to be likes to cook.

Here's a set. $379.

[​IMG]

16. Larinda McRaven

A few things I have given couples as wedding gifts while ignoring a very WIC registry...

Cleaning services for their new house
    Fruit of the Month Club for 6 months (just because older couples don't want more pots and pans doesn't mean they don't eat!)

17. pygmalion

Yes. Fruit of the month club absolutely rocks. I'll never forget the absolutely perfect bing cherries I got from Harry and David, one year. (Which I'm pretty sure is a different company than fruit of the month, but the same basic idea.) I kid you not. The cherries were delivered perfectly ripe in squishy trays with perfectly sized indentations so that every single *gigantic* cherry was cradled as it was being delivered. Thirty-five bucks for two pounds of cherries? I'd do it in a heartbeat. These cherries came in June, IIRC. Oh MY GOODNESS! This is right up there on my list of freaking awesome gifts. Don't get me started on the nectarines (July? August? I can't remember.) Oh my goodness. Not a fan of the Ranier cherries, but H&D offers them too, in case that's what you prefer.

If you go with this, order early. The cherries sell out every year, if you believe H&D hype.

There are also a couple wine of the month clubs that I've joined (I think this is dependent on where the couple lives, though, because state regs determine whether/when/where/to whom wine can be delivered. Nice, tasteful gift for wine lovers and/or people who entertain a lot.

:-D

18. pygmalion

Ooops. I was wrong. H&D and Fruit of the Month are the same (I do believe that there used to be two separate companies. Eh. Maybe they merged or maybe I'm senile. Both are possible.)

Some other things have changed, too. Cherries are in July. Mangoes are in the club, etc. But still. I can unambiguously recommend this as a gift. H&D will tell you, right on their website or in the letter they'll send you. They do not deliver fruit unless it's perfect. So, if H&D projected that cherries would ripen on July 1 but they don't ripen until July 15, you'll get cherries as soon after July 15 as the delivery company allows.

These folks are good!

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

on the far opposite end of the budget spectrum... a sizeable stash of dripless, fragrance-free white candles with a nice pair (or set) of simple candlesticks is one of those things that would never go to waste, and can be much appreciated for a variety of occasions.

(restoration hardware has sold a favorite brand of mine over the years...from france...simple, old-school, very nice.)

fwiw.

20. Larinda McRaven

love me some restoration hardware