Wedding Gift Ideas for couples age 35+

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by ChaChaMama, May 3, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

And while we're on the subject of thank you cards, let me just put it out there and say that I have written the sympathy thank you cards for more than a few friends. Yup. I did it. Kill me now. :wink: :lol:
  2. pygmalion

Yes. I've also had friends love receiving trees planted in their names, stars named after them, bricks planted at a park and engraved with their names, etc. Not my cup of tea, but some people really like that.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think we can leave commentary about sympathy cards for another thread if we have to go there...(and yes, I do have an opinion on it but I think this thread can stay on topic instead)
  4. fascination

on the gardening thing...I know lots of folks who have either started a rose garden, where they add one a year, or have trees that mark an occasion ...even at my old house, it is cool to drive by and see how much something I planted has grown
  5. pygmalion

One step ahead of you, sis. :wink:

I really like the idea (was that your idea, yesterday, f?) of buying season tickets for something cultural that the couple loves -- the local opera, or symphony orchestra etc.

Those can be quite inexpensive, for a season, as long as you don't insist on second row center, and very nice, as it would provide a year's worth of "date night" excuses for the newlyweds.

The ex bought us a season at the local symphony, beaucoup years ago. I loved it! He didn't. Not a big classical music buff, but that's another story. If both bride and groom love it, great idea. And a season's worth of tickets could come in right around the budget figure that's been mentioned, unless you live in New York. :lol:
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That was my hope when people ask what we want and I say a Lowes card... our new house has a fabulously landscaped, heavily planted, cultivated yard, the roses are tumbling over, and everything is in massive bloom right now. But I want to cut down that damn sweetgum tree (have you ever stepped on one of those balls) and plant something else in front of the house. Heck a gift certificate towards the tree company that wants $1K to drop the 50ft tree would be massively nice!! And then gift certificate towards greatgardenplants.com so I can replace it would make me cry!

Again, for an adult couple that has a fully stocked household but owns a house with land Lowes/Home Depot would be the bomb. Hence the Garden Party theme from one of my showers I mentioned in the other thread.
  7. pygmalion

If they have a registry, ignore your Mom and register. If not, tell your close friends. Get your tree!!
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Home Depot is your very best friend--people who own houses ALWAYS end up needing stuff there.

Personally I'm resistant to giving gifts for activities, plants, etc. unless you are absolutely, 100% certain it's something they'd like. Like "A helicopter tour, gee, thanks [for wasting your money on something I would have a heart attack doing and could not be PAID to do.]" Or "Roses, great, I've never had a rosebush live longer than five minutes with my soil but it's the thought that counts." Whereas gift cards and cash can pretty much never go wrong.
  9. fascination

well...I think it goes without saying that you don't do a highly personalized gift unless you know it IS in fact, a personal interest
  10. pygmalion

Yeah. When I got married, the ex's MBA class gave us a gift certificate for a super-posh restaurant that we never visited. The ex was big on home cooking, which I did. It's been ... I honestly don't remember how many years, and I still have the super well intended gift certificate ... in a box of pictures, somewhere.

Maybe, after I pull it out of storage and take DS back to that town for a visit, I'll take the certificate back to that restaurant (which I think is out of bankruptcy) and buy an appetizer with it.

Registries may be tacky, but at least you know what the couple professes to want.
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't know if it goes without saying--hence my distaste for 'honeymoon' gifts, artwork, actual plants instead of a gift card for a garden center...a coffee maker is more or less a coffee maker if you get them one that's the wrong color, art is REALLY easy miss on (even my own brother can't get it right with me to the point I'd prefer he not try, and my friends have an uncanny ability to give me books that just aren't quite to my taste.) Which is the nice thing about registries--even if you think the stuff on it's boring, you can safely assume they actually WANT it. Cash is a lot safer if you're wandering off that (and always welcome after the wedding bills arrive!)
  12. fascination

doi..I am not taking a stand against registries...I really don't care...and in ccm's case, my assumption is that she knows her sibling well enough to know whether or not a choice is a solid good one or a shakey one in terms of expressed opinion...I am not making a case for everyone doing any such thing...I am suggesting that it is an option for people who can safely assume that it is a good option...I am perfectly happy to buy from a registry...whenever possible...I am also happy to take what I know about a person and think outside the box...
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Soz. My glance through the thread must have missed that.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

+1 <insert exponential emoticon>
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

A thirtysomething friend got married to a woman named Mary Rose. I bought them three Mary Rose roses (beautiful, and beautifully scented) and gave them as a wedding present.
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Even here.
  17. Larinda McRaven

slacker
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone SO much for the suggestions!

This IS one of those weddings where they say "Your presence is our present," but since this is my only sister, I really would like to get her a wedding present! It just seems like a nice gesture.

I decided to go with the "gift card for travel" idea. I talked with Mom, and she told me that their honeymoon is going to be at a Four Seasons resort in Hawaii, and the Four Seasons chain does offer gift cards. (They aren't going until the fall, so it is unlikely they have pre-paid everything already...and even if they have, they could also add spa treatments or other fun stuff.)

I'm very excited for this wedding. Right now, I'm pretty stressed as we are heading into finals week at the college where I work, but in two more weeks, I'm going to be in the Florida Keys getting ready for my sister's beachfront wedding! Aw yeah! (Fingers crossed for good weather! That would be the best gift of all, but tough to gift wrap.)
  19. pygmalion

I can relate. That's why my Mom and twin sister bought me gifts even though I repeatedly told them not to. They wanted to.

I knew you'd make a tasteful and classy choice. I'm sure your sister will love it. :)
  20. Larinda McRaven

and so... the wedding was beautiful I see!