Wedding Song- Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by lcdancesport, Jul 23, 2009.

1. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I have a couple that is looking to dance to Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ol for their wedding. Dance suggestions? I'm thinking a slow 3-count hustle, something simple. Perhaps single time swing.

http:// w w w . youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Ooh, that's a toughie. :headwall:

It's fast for a nightclub 2 step, but I just tried it out and it's doable... :)

3. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I'd do American rumba, but I'd also probably use Soundforge to drop the speed 8%.

4. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I second the suggestion for rumba.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you're gonna do that, it opens up Foxtrot to the possibilities too.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It makes a great, sweet AT.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

We have a wedding couple working on an AT right now. Different song, but I really like the idea of AT for a wedding.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It doesn't have some of the "emotional baggage" that other dances have, in terms of having a "character" that goes with it, so it can be a very very sweet dance between two people.

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I would NOT alter the speed on this song. One, it wouldn't work well for this particular song. Two, it's their wedding song, which means it has an emotional connection to them the way it is.
    Fast rumba. It doesn't have to have textbook rumba speed or "character." It's a wedding dance, not a ballroom competition or showcase.

10. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I find that 8% is about the limit of how you can alter it without changing the feel. Once you get to 10% and above distortion becomes apparent, even if it doesn't alter the pitch. 4% - 8%, however, is not noticeable to the ear while it is noticeable to the feet. I'm not suggesting altering it to make it conform to the syllabus - it'll still be slightly faster - but it will feel more danceable.

As for the emotional connection, while it no doubt exists, I've never had someone say, "I was touched by the 42 measures-per-minute tempo." More often, the connection is to the tune, lyrics, and feel, all of which would be preserved by an 8% adjustment.

11. Terpsichorean Clod

If you treat it as 21 MPM, I think bolero or International rumba could work. At 42 MPM, maybe even a slow quickstep? Or Quick Rhythm? I just dug out my Alex Moore Ballroom Dancing book, which says that Quick Rhythm may be danced to music above 40 MPM.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Maybe if the song doesn't feature a ukulele you can get away with 8%.

13. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I love this song!

A foxy could work

14. Terpsichorean Clod

I've only just become aware of discofox. But what's...foxy? :shock:

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"Discofox" is German for Hustle. :)

16. Terpsichorean Clod

LOL Thanks, Joe!

So "foxy" is German for what? :)

17. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Basically another term for "Single Time Foxtrot", "Society Tempo", or "Club Rhythm Fox" depending on which school one comes from.

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Thanks, Angel! :)

19. dTas

dTas New Member

i think a slow salsa or slow samba works well for this song.

especially a slow salsa for beginning students. the dance matches the lightness and playfullness of the song.

20. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

My couple has been loving the fox trot and I finally got Soundforge and the music file. Slowed it down a bit and I think it'll work. Is there a way to slow the song down, but not mess up the voice? I'm trying to play with the pitch now.

Such a cute song :) Wish I had more time to work with them, but the wedding is less than two weeks away and they only have a lesson left...