Wedding Song- Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by lcdancesport, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

There should be a function to change the tempo and alter the pitch for you. I don't remember where it is though, I haven't used SF in a while. It might be called time stretch or something like that?

I've been using Audacity, which is free, and definitely has a tempo function. ;)

2. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I'll check out that program once this trial is up. I used SoundForge years ago and my mind has apparently let all that knowledge disappear far far away!

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Process - Time Stretch Should get you there. I'll give more detailed instructions tomorrow when I'm on system taht I do my audio and video work on if you still haven't figured it out. :)

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I don't know about these other apps, but the Adobe Audition I use has a function to stretch/compress with and without changing pitch. Obviously, there are fewer artifacts when you allow it to change pitch, but usually you want to maintain the same pitch for the song.

Also, if the file is already compressed (e.g. mp3), you will get more artifacts than if it's a rip from a CD.

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Soundforge 9: Process - Time Stretch. Several modes, you'll have to see which one works best for you. I do msot of this work in goldwave, so haven't experimented with these yet in Soundforge

Goldwave: Effect - Time Warp. Choose FFT, leave FFT size on 11, set overlap to 95, and choose oscillator synthesis.

The Goldwave method definitely leaves pitch alone. Believe at least one or two of the soundforge ones do, but couldn't tell you which for sure. This other thread here may (if you can decode my math ;) ) help you figure out how much you need to slow the song down to hit a target tempo.

Math Question

6. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

This works great! They're going to be happy. :)