We'll show you our packages

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Nov 30, 2012.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

When you hear this, does it make you afraid?

I called a studio to inquire if we could practice there. First, they had to ask the manager before they could tell me the size of the floor. Then they told me I had to be enrolled in a program before I could practice. They told me that while I could not practice, I was welcome to come by and they could show me some of their packages.

I was tempted to let them know I already had a package and if they could give me a cell number I could text it to them! :)

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, well, wasn't there a congressman that did something like that, and it didn't tun out so well, as I remember it.

samina, Mr 4 styles and danceronice like this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

First off, that is how a studio doors stay open. They sell things.

Secondly all sorts of characters call and ask to come in and use the space... and most of them DO need lessons!

Third, the girl on the phone doesn't know you or your ability or accomplishments. She is a receptionist and she just does her job. Heck I have attended a dance in a small far away town and been approached by baby teachers trying to sell me an intro package.

And Lastly, you should have said OK! Gone in and listened to the package schpiel, then ask for the free intro, and scared the hoohaw out of the young girl that gets assigned to you.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LLMMMMMFAAAOOOOO post of the day!! larindaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you rule

5. DanceMentor

For the record, I was polite and let them know I would stop in some time, and I do have your mobile number. :)
    (and just kidding, you can moderate me if you see fit. Don't want to set a bad example)

6. DanceMentor

But seriously, I see fewer and fewer "closed" studios. More I see studios that have a system that is flexible for varying needs yet profitable enough to support the running of the studio. And certainly different markets or studio sizes will come into play too.

7. Larinda McRaven

Perhaps it goes in waves every ten years or so. The employees of todays strictly closed studios grow up and tomorrow venture out looking for freedom in how they run their business. Yet in the end it creates a very loose community. Ripe for closed studios to come in and clean up where the people that need structure have been left out in the cold.

8 years ago the francise situation in Boston was on the decline. Employees were cutting loose and opening up left and right on their own. Now suddenly there are francises opening up all over again.

To support running of the studio... or to be profitable? Most often, simply running a studio is not an economically healthy way to live. Most studios that run on that philosophy just pay the bills with not a lot left over.

That is simply not something an owner can sustain themselves even fairly comfortably on. It is a very draining way for a studio owner to live. Honestly, think about how many studios you know, nationwide from 10 years ago, are still here and being operated by the original owner? I bet they are not the free range independent studios.

8. Mr 4 styles

in calif and az the independant wave is still on the rise it seems

9. Mr 4 styles

sounds like the crossfit motto

10. DanceMentor

I won't dispute that closed studios tend to be more profitable. I personally have found more comfort in open studios but I know there are many who have had different experiences. And when it comes down to it, each situation is a little different.

11. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

OMG. :D

Something like this recently happened to my boyfriend, too. (He is champ standard, collegiate). We went to a social dance at an AM - it had just opened, and the instructors (at least the ones present) were all "baby". Over the course of the night he was 1) accosted with package sales spiel on his way to the bathroom; 2) offered a job teaching, once they actually saw him dance; and 3) subjected to the package sales spiel again while trying to pay for the social. They didn't seem to know what to do with him.

Nice bunch of people, though.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have seen a few different "closed" studio scenarios...those in which the studio is a franchise and does just fine...and those in which a studio is independent and slowly gets more closed as it fears encroachment and poaching from other places...and that IMV, is deadly...

the studios that I have seen that have been most successful welcome everyone and reach out often and will take whatever limited involvement anyone wants to have....rather than placing alot of conditions ...the one's that I have seen do well will allow anyone to practice for a very nominal fee and sell lessons one at a time with free practice time that matches amount of private lesson time.....they are also places that allow just about any pro to come and teach independently there...and who make their coachings available and known to regulars and non-regulars....

13. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I'm picturing the dance lesson scene from "Swing Time"...Fred Astaire getting a dance lesson from Ginger Rogers...

Sorry for the brief hijack, BOT.

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have seen that as well.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was approached by an AM studio owner at a comp once asking if I'd like to teach there. I think I was a silver dancer at the time. Wasn't interested so I demurred. A subsequent dance partner coincidentally worked at that studio before we partnered up and told me she was a horrible owner.

Out of curiosity, do you still own a studio?

16. Larinda McRaven

Nope. For that very reason. I didn't appreciate not taking home MY paycheck in order to keep the doors open for a bunch of other people to float in and out. That and I really didn't like dealing w our landlord.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I totally understand OP's frustration that when they only looking for a space for practice but didn't get a straight answer; I suspect some of the receptionists at studio were trained to answer phones In a certain way to solicit more business, and every phone call could be recorded and monitored so they were afraid of if even not showing an effort to sell package, will be blamed or even lose job.

In NY, most independent studio would give a straight answer of their floor fee or teaching or practicing, which I really appreciate. They welcome anyone regardless amateurs or pros to share their floor. Sometimes when the studio have multiple classrooms and I request a specific time for practice, I would call to ask the specific size of the particular room they assign to us, I would be straight forward indicating that we are standard pros, requires relatively larger spaces for practice, they understand and usually give me straight forward answer of the true size of floor.

It only happened once or twice at chain studio in Long Island (relatively new studios as well), we walked in, asked for floor fee rate of practicing and teaching, got some answer such as they do not prefer outside independent pros practice there, also do not allow outside pros to bring their students to teach there and to pay a floor fee. Owner specifically and politley informed us that they'd rather not to make such floor fees from any dance teachers who are not their own employees. At beginning, I felt so strange, never heard anyone turn down floor fees; Later I figured out the reason- they are relatively new and staff teachers were relatively inexperienced, students are pretty much local newbies, the studio would risk lose their clients to outside pros if their students see another independent pro's students dance at a more advanced level. Thus for them, is indeed better business decision to just to turn down outside pros and keep their own students in studio. Running dance studio is such a cutting throat business, owners all trying every little bit to keep their own students happy.

Luckily, there are plenty of independent studios we can practice at, so I don't really mind being turn down by chain studios.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

One of those "live and learn" deals?

19. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

You know, I've had a similar experience, except I TRIED to take it a step further and requested a scheduling of that free trial lesson. Guess what? They never got back to me. Ever. I called them twice. Worst. receptionist. ever.