we're going on a cruise

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Jared21, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jared21

Jared21 New Member

hi, me and my wife are going on a cruise with a comapny called cunard in next year and we were wondering what style dances are onboard the ships?
    we know that it is a pretty posh cruise, there is a blacktie night, and its a "traditional styled" cruise so what form of dancing would be onbaord?
    we would liek to get practice on whatever style people think may be onboard (so we dont look like idiots!)

any help will be greatly appreciated :)
  2. davedove

davedove Active Member

I can't tell you that, although I do know that Cunard line tends to have the bigger dance floors instead of the typical postage stamp sized club floors common on most ships. There may actually be room to dance a proper waltz or foxtrot.
  3. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Cunard ships include at least some focus on ballroom dancing in their design; the Queen Mary 2 has the biggest dance floor at sea. They are renowned as the best cruise line for ballroom dancers. You can expect all the main ballroom dance styles (waltz, tango, foxtrot, cha cha, rumba, and swing/jive) at the formal dance events. They may offer dance classes as well during the trip. If you haven't taken dance lessons before a beginner social class at your local dance studio might be a good idea. If you have, try a few dance socials for practice.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

All right: For Black and White ball, they are NOT KIDDING. Personally for the lady I say go for a mix of black and white. The Queen's Room has ballroom pretty much every night. Black and White Ball night will be jam-packed for a while. It depends on which cruise you're on and which ship (QM2? QE? QV?) how many formal nights they'll have and that doesn't just apply to dance--on a night when Evening Dress is required, they mean it--the only places you can go without it are the King's Court buffet and your cabin.

Depending on who the instructors are, there'll be group lessons during the day (no-brainer stuff, if you've never taken a lesson, you'll be fine) and the dancers may be available for private lessons. I took a private and a group, but I really didn't want to spend afternoons in class, too, there was too much else to do.

If you give more details on your trip (ship, itinerary, cabin class, etc) I can maybe help a bit more. (And if I don't know, I can ask my friend who did the World Cruise.) But way to go, you will officially ruin yourself for every other cruise line. Cunard is absolutely first-class. You'll feel so spoiled.
  5. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

While they will have some classes on board, I would advise you to take some ballroom classes before you go. The more classes you take, the better you will dance and the more confident you will feel about getting out there. Have fun...I'm jealous. My avatar was taken on a Royal Caribbean cruise.
  6. danceronice

I will say one thing you won't be ready for because you can't practice on land--99% of the time (ESPECIALLY if you're on Mary, as she's huge and you only feel the roll if you hit really bad weather) you won't even notice you're on a ship. Dancing, most of the time, I didn't feel any different, but once in a while the floor would not be the distance from my heel my brain thought it was from where I picked my foot up! It's a little disconcerting!
  7. davedove

davedove Active Member

That's what I found. The floor is a little too high or a little too low. Either way, it can through off your dancing a bit. Gives me a whole different appreciation for performers on ships.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Pitch and roll can be disconcerting but current ships have stabilizers that limit that unless you're in moderately heavy seas. The lower you are and closer to amidships, the less you'll feel.
  9. davedove

davedove Active Member

True, but a lot of the classes I've taken on ships take place on the stage during off hours and the stages are at the front of the ship, so you feel any and all motion. Generally you don't feel a lot of motion, but when the floor is even a fraction of an inch away from where you expect it, it can throw off your timing.
  10. danceronice

On Cunard (at least on Mary; I haven't been on Elizabeth or Victoria-for those unfamiliar with the line there are only three ships and one, QM2, is dramatically different from pretty much any other ship there is) classes are in the Queen's Room, where they have the evening dances, shows are in the Royal Court Theater. I didn't notice anything while at the evening dances (I was having way too much fun!) but during class, when I wasn't dancing with someone much of the time and had time to think, I would occasionally feel just a fraction of an inch off. It's like while I'm walking around or sitting on deck or in the restaurants I don't really notice, but lying in my berth at night, even though I was close to midline, I could feel the engines and just a bit of movement.