West Coast Swing

Discussion in 'Videos' started by GJB, Jan 31, 2007.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow... i so enjoyed the two benji vids, and the john lindo/blake hobby video... wonderful!

thanks for sharing, gjb... inspiring, fun, joyful, and great energy!

3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Samina, glad you enjoyed! There have been posts in the past about WCS and Hustle and some people said they don't like or get these dances so I thought I'd post some good examples.

BTW, John Lindo regularly DJs in NY and NJ so you can catch him in action. And, Blake is awesome. I love to dance with her.

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

5. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

It was especially impressive to watch the Jack & Jill's. I wish we had those more in ballroom (though I would find it terrifying).

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

7. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I usually like the improvisational divisions (Jack & Jill and Strictly Swing) better too. And, I would love to see a Pro Latin Jack and Jill !

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yeah, these two so impressed me... still thinking about them. that's *dancing*

9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

only watched the first set... will have to watch the rest that you posted.

i just spent 40 minutes reviewing these (and a few others) with my colleague, a longtime competitive wcs-er (he can name everyone in the background of the videos, along with their personal histories & idiocyncracies *lol*).

the only thing i know about wcs are the basics he taught me (without dancing them with me) a couple months ago, and maybe the 5 minutes i've danced it with BF, but he posed a technical question about WCS foot movement and we had fun looking at the vids & sorting things out.

what a resource this thread is for wcs-lovers. :)

11. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Glad you are enjoying. At least watch the first two of the last set - Deborah can improvise !!!

12. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

There is ALWAYS improv in WCS except for Classic/Showcase routines. Both the strictly swing (known partner, unknown music) and Jack and jills ( unknown partner and music) are extremely muscially itnerpretive and improvisational. That is one of the main goals of WCS - to hit breaks, slow down, speed up with the music, to interpret with your body (yes, your entire body!) what the music does, etc.

Yes, Deborah is pretty good at hitting music but they all are. Tatiana is amazing at it. So are Melina and Melissa, they all are. When I went to Swing Diego a few weeks ago I saw them all dance and let me tell you - I wish ballroom could sometimes be like that - so free and musical. But alas, it's only one dance, ballroom has many and all are so technical only the best dancers in the world can hope to interpret music on the fly like that...

13. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yes, I know. The last group of videos I linked to where I mentioned improvisation were all Jack and Jills or Strictly Swings. I wouldn't say they/we are all good at it. But, it's something everyone strives for from the beginning.

Thanks for your explanation. It verbalizes what I hoped the videos would demonstrate to those who have not had exposure to WCS as it is danced on the NASDE circuit and socially as well.

14. reb

reb Active Member

These were fun to watch. Great connections and dancing!

15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I had the transcendent pleasure of dancing with Michael Kiehm once. OMG!

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow. was very impressed with him... what a sharp dancer...

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

watched everything... whatta pleasure!

18. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I took a lesson with Michael and Mari once. But, it was a long time ago. Can't remember much. He did complement my lead though : )

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Wow! I will have to see if I can find some more : )

20. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member