West Coast Swing

Discussion in 'Videos' started by GJB, Jan 31, 2007.

1. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I love that last scene. I really like another scene when the guys are challenging each other with jumps. Still, I have to say that Baryshnikov is my favorite non-ballroom male dancer of all time. He doesn't jump, he flies ;)
  2. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Ditto
  3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

4. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Well, the benji vids seems to have been removed for violation of terms... or so the page says when I click on the links (1st posting).
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

*sigh*.... felt that way when i was 15... still do... *sigh again*
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey GJB... thanks for those vids... enjoyed'em! :)
  7. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

8. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Is this all West Coast swing?
  9. jerseydancer

great videos!!! I have never seen the swing like that. i am falling in love
  10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yes, it's all WCS! You can find this style in NJ and NYC. There are regular dances in NYC. And, there is a WCS comp. coming up in NJ in Sept.: www.HudsonSwingAffair.com
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Well, since you'll be visiting California soon... ;)
  12. jerseydancer

I got the same idea:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:May I should try that one.

I have tried just learning basic steps a while ago. If I have seen something like that I may stick with the dance longer. Looks soo cool
  13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

No, the good WCS comp that's coming up in NJ is Liberty Swing in June (19-21 I believe). Hudson Swing Affair is more lindy/balboa focused, I believe...

And yes, I am TOTALLY and completely in LOVE with WCS. It's the best partner dance (and this coming from a very serious ballroom competitor)!

Kyle & Sarah's video is awesome, love those two... And why does Jason Colacino have to basically quit WCS just as I got into it. His dancing is so amazing!
  14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I forgot about Liberty. Lindo didn't run it last year. I have to put it on my calendar.

Hudson Swing Affair is WCS too but Festa likes the old school music. And, Festa will have some good instructor there. I danced with Charlotte Bott, Maryann Nunez, and Jackie McGee there last year!

So, Ithink we are gonna have to WCS one of these days!
  15. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

16. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I saw on the internet that Jason just recently taught a class in NYC. And he posted some videos on youtube recently so I guess he's still doing it. And, yeah he's awesome.
  17. jerseydancer

Thank you for sharing this videos. I love the overall movement of this dance, soo smoth. Sometimes, just like a moon walk

How the girls keep spinning like that under their partner's hand?
  18. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

That's one of the things about WCS that I've yet to master, the "finger spins" as they are called.

As the female you have to be really balanced over your foot. As the man, you have to be really good at leading it:) There are a few women who are able to magically do it almost on their own (like that amazing "oddity" Tat;)) but most women need to be well led to do it.

GJB, name the time and the place:) I'm there. Probably not gonna be at Liberty though even though it's an awesome event! You should have come to MadJam last month...
  19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I was gonna say Liberty! I checked out the website. Looks like Lindo has got LOTs of the top dancers/instructors lined up! I guess we'll have to try and squeeze one in at a ballroom comp. - music probably won't be as good though.

I was on vacation in Fla during MadJam otherwise I'd have gone. I've never been to that one but it looks really good.
  20. jerseydancer

Could figure skating help mastering those spins?