What’s WRONG with salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by SDsalsaguy, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Mmm... I think you both know that this is different from before. :rolleyes:
  2. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

Parece que su intento es dar consejos. Pero es un engaño. Lo que te eluda es que ella quiería ofenderme por medio de recomendarme que yo vaya a los lugares en su lista—una lista de lugares donde hay puros viejito/as que tienen un estilo de bailar muy lento y antigua.
  3. noobster

noobster New Member

Ay, den mporw. Este Sabado exw hdh programmatisei na pame al Seaport con unos amigos gia poto (gia ellos que no 3eroun salsa) y baile (gia ellos que les gusta o xoros). Ela ki'sy si quieres (alla yo se que briskesai un poco lejos apo tin NY, no quiero na se talaiporhsw)

(This is actually much harder in writing than it is in speech!!)
  4. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

<tongue in cheek>
    othbay aminasay andyay oobsternay areyay eallyray eallyray tupidsay irlsgay. [​IMG]
    </tongue in cheek>
  5. noobster

noobster New Member

Brownskin is that true? :eyebrow: I don't live in LA so I wouldn't know. But I am pretty sure I have heard other people name Mama Juana's and Stevens' Steakhouse at least as places where there are very good dancers.
    Don Silver or anyone else care to confirm?
  6. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

I should have clarified this. The problem with the list are the NIGHTS not the places.
  7. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Will all those concerned, and you know who you are, please bear the above guideline when posting. In that vain, please write in English! It is rude and unfriendly. What started off as a good thread with some useful information has plummetted to depths that will not be tolerated any further.

If you wish to write in gibberish, please start another thread in Dancers Anonymous and declare the thread as open season on gibberish. Within that context, friendliness and supportiveness is a pre-requisite and non-negotiable...

This thread will be cleaned up in time.

Pacion
  8. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

The title of the forum is, "What's WRONG with salsa?" What do you expect?
  9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I expect a mature discussion. If you are unable to provide it, you are welcome to remain stom...
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

edited to remove gibberish...
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Not gibberish...Greek-nish :cool:
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

actually, it was real Gibberish... i was sequeing from quix's pig-latin into official Gibberish for his benefit. i'll save it for another thread... :)
  13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: I wrote gibberish, and I meant gibberish :roll:

I was not singling out Samina or anyone else.

Now, let's get back on topic please.
  14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, and I started it several years ago based on the idea that its possible to be constructively critical of elements of an activity (in this case salsa) that I otherwise love. The fact that I started such a thread doesn't change the guidelines, and any mature adult should be able to discuss the topic in a manner that adheres to the supportive and informational tone of the DF, even when making criticisms. Like Don (excellent post BTW), I appreciate different perspectives, even those I disagree with, but over-generalizations, stereotypes, and denigrating those with different viewpoints are not tolerated here.
  15. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

I teach dance and always mention too the ladies to ask guys too dance, i love when women ask me too dance/ i think the statement this fellow said was very latino machismo old world crap, i not at all sorry for my statement(im latino) and i hate the old world crap about not asking guys too dance, there are some points i agree with about women not acting slutty etc.... but that statement really really shows another reason of what is wrong with salsa....
  16. Josh

Josh Active Member

Please compare your two statements--how Asian dancers as a whole fall into the same category as adolescents, those with limited dancing skills, or hooker-like dress is beyond me...? Not pointing fingers, but it shows that we all have some work to do when it comes to culture relations.

Rumbera, actually I agree with much of what you said--I have seen the culture you're talking about and it's not pretty. Some will choose to ignore it and have a good time anyway. Some will choose to distance themselves from it and ignore it that way. But if you're not enjoying where you're dancing and the culture present, then you should either find a way to get around that, or just get out of it. I've experienced the looks from other races when I walk into a club, and have been in the minority--and it's not a nice feeling to know that others are possibly judging you because of your skin color--but I just love to dance, so I don't care. Your world is what you choose it to be--I'm not saying I don't complain about life sometimes, but the worst thing you can do is be miserable in a situation--so change it! You control your thoughts and feelings, no one else!

Enjoy life, enjoy dancing!! Take hold of your feelings and future and let no one else get in the way!!
  17. noobster

noobster New Member

I'm going to stop with the other languages because I don't want to bug anyone, but I have to say I think it is rather draconian to ban any non-English languages in what is purportedly an open forum (and, might I add, one dedicated to a quintessentially Hispanic form of music and dance in which *all* of the lyrics are in Spanish!).

Again, I've seen other languages used on this and many other public fora and I really cannot see how using another language in a public posting should in any way be considered rude. English has become a default lingua franca for reasons of convenience, but it's a pretty big step from there to declaring the use of other widely spoken (or not) languages 'rude.'

English speakers do not have the market cornered on friendly-and-supportive, and actually I find it rather unfriendly and unsupportive to label non-English languages as "gibberish." Really.

Well. Myself, I prefer... "Speek!" :D
  18. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Eu una as propune sa traducem si in engleza ceea ce dorim sa comunicam in alta limba.

How did the above statement improve the discussion?

I would appreciate it if someone were nice enough to translate it - I wonder how many people speak Romanian on this forum? :)

If no one does, I'll translate it later (remind me please, just in case I forget).

The reason why English is used here is simple: it is the ONLY common language all users speak (to a higher or lower extent). I happen to understand Spanish and French and Italian, but I am using English. Out of courtesy for the people who do not speak the afore mentioned languages.

Discussions are interesting when all can participate.

back to the topic: I think I've said it before, the behaviour RumbaRumbera mentions is not specific to LA. It can be found everywhere around the globe, where men and women meet.

You see it in business. You see it in showbiz. You see it in the street, at every corner. And it is not nice and fair. So what?

A 50-year old woman whose husband leaves her after 15 years of marriage and 2 children to "run off" with the 20-year old maid - does she find it fair?

Is it fair that one is born to look like Carmen Electra and the other like a scarecrow? Of course not! But is it fair that one is born with the brains of Einstein and the other is the village idiot?

Life is not about being fair! And if one doesn't like it, one can do something about it! Change clothing or change the place...

Have I been rude? I hope not! I am just trying to make a point.
  19. noobster

noobster New Member

I know of one, let's see if he comes sneaking around. :)
    Meanwhile, I'm going to guess at "Let someone try to translate this into English if s/he would like to communicate in another language."

How'd I do?
  20. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

According to Rum. post, I guess I happen to be one of the " offenders " .
    Not by choice ( thats not a complaint ) Being a prof., one is often sought out by the younger ladies in a club ,the reasons, of course, are purely academic .

Sooo-- if you did not know me, and saw me dancing with much younger ladies, would you condemn me on sight ?-- based upon your theory, I would be convicted and tried without knowing the facts. The reality, for most good dancers, is not necessarily age, or looks, but more towards ability .Now if they also happen to have other " attributes " , so what ?

However, I do accept that part of what you say, to be true .The many posts have already stated quite clearly their " take " on the subject.

As to the question of language, I find it quite rewarding when I am able to expand my foreign language vocabulary , especially if it is in espanol ( oops !! )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.