What’s WRONG with salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by SDsalsaguy, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Noobster, as someone who has been posting since August 2006, with 401 posts todate and probably read 5 times as many... if you wish to interpret my post and think that I was being draconian and unfriendly, AND that I labelled non-English languages as gibberish, as you obviously did, be my guest.

What is the saying? Divided by a common language? :cool:

For what it is worth, whilst english is the dominent language here on Dance Forums (it does not interest me what other Forums experience in this particular aspect) yes, other languagues have been discussed, mentioned and even phrases/sentences used. However, entire posts were not made in that language.

If you should decide to do some 'research' of the past posts here on DF, you may actually discover that I have quite an international outlook and have an interest in other countries and cultures, including... <drum roll please> non english speaking ones. But, you knew that already. ;)

C'est la vie. :D

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Ah, so you speak Speek. :D

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I thought it was Spekenese ( ya know dog lingo )

4. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

tu sei una donna molto intelligente io penso che your my favorite squirrel now, you english is better than mine, when i was in rome 2 weeks ago 2 romanians worked in the hostel i stayed at i found them delightfull once i got to know them(very reserved at first)

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

One of the bigger issues you're overlooking, however, is the need to use a language that the moderators are sufficiently familiar with to effectively do their "jobs." As it is, too many members try to use various euphemisms and acronyms to skirt DF policies, so the use of additional languages essentially means that (A) the guidelines get thrown out, or (B) moderating is conducted only via hearsay from other members. As a result, while we welcome and indeed encourage the sharing of different languages and cultures, posting in English is the expected norm even if it is not a steadfast rule.

6. noobster

noobster New Member

Pacion and SDsalsaguy: Fine. Buried. No more funny languages. :kissme:

Indeed! :D
    But alas no more, as it has been labeled the Speek of the Devil. ;)

7. englezul

englezul New Member

Amen. Too few people take rsponsibility for the quality of their life today. It's way more convenient to make excuses or blame others for own unsuccesses. I'm tired of these victims.

I kinda chuckle when I see some people - specifically latinos - start speaking posting in spanish as if their words are worth more because they happen to speak the language so prevalent in salsa music, thinking along the lines of:

"What you don't agree with my [often ridiculous] points of view, oh here's a post written in spanish and sprinkled with attitude. Clearly this shows everyone that I'm right. Cause I have tha blood"

I mean this is the kind of thinking that pushes the world forward. Without these rogue innovators, these leaders and problem solvers, the forums would often have threads with no conclusion.

I must say I'm terribly in love. And you say, Rumbera, that some asian girl gets more attention than you? Well perhaps you're not looking at the right cues. Maybe the reason they're getting more attention is not because they are asian, but because they have a better, and less bitten attitude.

8. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

Freedom of Speech

As many on this forum, I was brought up in the USA and from an early age, I was taught about the Bill of Rights, including the right of free speech, which includes defending another’s right of expression, no matter how reprehensive or controversial. So, although I may post controversial opinions and disagree with many on this forum, I would never support the action of censoring anyone for their opinions or the manner in which they are expressed.

9. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

Yes, how ironic.....Hispanic music, dance; and Spanish lyrics. You get it. Thanks.

10. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

I gathered from your previous posts that you didn't like snooty salseros and flashy dancing. The places I suggested are full of intermediate+, NON flashy dancers who will gladly ask any lady to dance. Is that not what you were looking for???
    :doh:

11. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

This is highly inflammatory and contains "fighting" words. But I will defend this person's right to express his/her opinion, no matter how controversial and outrageous I find it.

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

This is an entirely voluntary community RR, with clearly stipulated guidelines and friendly suggestions when the tone falls outside what we have chosen to have here. You are free to participate accordingly, or equally free not to participate. What neither you nor anyone else has the right to do, however, is to ignore the rules and claim that you have the right to say whatever you want however you want.

At this point this tangent is over. Either accept this is how things are or do not. If you want to communicate with me or anyone else on the staff about this you are more than welcome to, either via PM or the staff mailbox, but any additional public posts on this matter will be considered a breach of the restriction on public discussions of moderating. Do what you want accordingly.

13. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

:kissme:

14. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

:eek: u see right through me. and i suppose im a "troll" because I dont like to see anonymous screenames trashing my scene and discouraging others' interest in it?? uhm yea... you pegged me just right. [​IMG]

15. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

[​IMG]

16. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

:kissme:

17. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Maybe I will get that Tshirt made up after all:
    Give peace a chance!

SHUT UP AND DANCE!

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I will do as your t-shirt says Sweavo... on one condition! That you dance with me! :tongue: ;)

19. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Ok you're on! I'm moving my left foot... now!

20. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

What?? I take offense at that, having just gone to one of those places on the list. Believe me, there were plenty of young people there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.