What are you currently 'working on' in A.T.?-Vol.II

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I thought that a new thread would make it easier to go back and find stuff.

Last night, I finally put it together to pay attention to and milk the last notes of a song. Before, I would notice that the song was ending and be seperating from my partner already on the last note, figuring that the 'good part' was over. But now, I realize that this last note is very important for the woman. It is her chance to do a final gesture and it colors the whole dance that went before. It's the lasting aftertaste..I even added a gentle squeeze of the hand on the final note. In each case the woman gave me back a dreamy, happy smile! :p
  2. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

Great observation - that's exactly true. A few of my favorite dancers not only give me that extra moment to end the song in a controlled, more "intentional" way - they give me an extra sort of hug in the embrace. Like a little bonus. Plus, when a leader is able to ease into the end of the song, and take command of it instead of rushing through to a pose - it sends a signal that he knows the music well. That's always welcome.
  3. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

To the topic at hand - I'm working on my walk and molinete - which means, for me anyway, I'm mostly working on my balance. Which I'll probably do forever.
  4. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Molinete also. I don't know why it is so hard for me to do it well. I feel I am either shuffling through it or walking through it, not dancing.
  5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new thread! :D

Congrats on your breakthrough! That's a good one, and important. :applause:
  6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I think you're starting to get the hang of this thing.

:applause:
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Can I just raise my hand in (seemingly lone) dissent wrt liking the hand squeeze? Or any other kind of squeeze?

Don't ask me why, but those gestures just cross the line for me in terms of personal space and what I can tolerate. I have no problem with close embrace, will go "cheek to cheek" with most guys (or girls) without a second thought, but the squeezing is just waaaay too personal for me.

ETA: Kudos, though, on the idea of really dancing the end of the song. Verrrry nice.
  8. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Walking... I'm always trying to refine my Tango walks.
  9. vade mecum

vade mecum New Member

Regarding Mario's first post about the end of tango songs, as a lead I seem compelled to remain stable in the midsection but at the same "come down" a titch with my shoulder and left hand. I do this especially when the bellows talk to me in a way that says 'and we're out."
  10. Me

Me New Member

Amen. This was my first thought when I saw this thread title. Walking! It just never is good enough. *sigh*
  11. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Close turns. Walkin'.
  12. Flatfoot

Flatfoot New Member

Things I'm not doing very well:
    1) Varying my movement with the feeling of the song. Am normally very robotic.
    2) Not stepping, when I can feel it. Am normally very robotic.
    3) Reducing arm use. It's tough.
    4) Ending steps, indeed. And similarly, altering my usual patterns to the phrase when needed.
    5) Gancho's, foot drags, and my practically non-existent boleo leads.
  13. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

Not lone dissent. Although I have no problem with the intimacy that is natural to Tango, it is just a dance. I'm not looking for a girlfriend or romantic experience, and I'm not in it for the "walking hug."

And I am, of course, working on my walk, that (should) go without saying.
    But a primary focus for me right now is my "pre-lead". I want to be able to convey my intentions for the next step well in advance of the step, or even the specific lead invitation for the step. The purpose is twofold. First, this eliminates any force, abruptness, or other evil cr@p from my lead. Second, it allows the follow to more easily reject my intended lead and to propose something of her own and to do it timely and musically.
  14. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I almost bought this arguement but then I thought of all the cultural differences and how, here in Mexico, I am still uncomfortable with having to kiss every woman when I meet them (on the cheek) and when I part..so, a hand squeeze seems harmless at this point. It's not llike I'm squeezing her waist for god's sake. :rolleyes: ..but I do appreciate the feedback..now, if you were from England...;)
  15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Not just for the woman...
    Note also that ending the song well is characteristic many of your better dancers. Thompson traces it to African roots where NOT ending well elicits ridicule.
  16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

You "almost bought this argument?" Excuse me?!?! I hope you didn't mean it in the way it comes across, because...wow, what an unbelievably rude thing to say.

*/off topic: it's twenty-some flippin' degrees outside, and windy to boot, and freakin' COLD and some kid just went running down the street in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops! Good grief. I know I must be getting old, because my second thought (after OM *expletive deleted* god) was "Her mother let her out of the house dressed like that in this weather?")/*

I don't know if it's a cultural thing so much. It's funny that you mention the kissing hello/goodbye--that's one thing which has never bothered me, because it's how I grew up greeting everyone on my father's side of the family. To me, kissing as a greeting is perfectly normal. (I can never remember, though, if the Argentine custom is just for one kiss or two...that' always messes me up.)

I think the finger squeeze thing is a case of establishing lines where you can. Yes, it's very intimate...so care is taken so that despite the physical contact things don't become about anything more than jus the dancing...and for me the squeeze is too much like a caress, which crosses that line.
  17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

to exercise patience

Been out of luck yesterday: Only a wrong step on the stairs of the underground and there was this unmistakable crrrrrack in my left knee. Got a splint, crutches, diclofenac, and was shoven into the magnetic resonance tube: disruption of the joint capsul

I must pause for weeks :shock:
  18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about the injury. I hope you are dancing again soon.
  19. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

That's terrible. :( I hope your recovery is swift and painless.
  20. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

ouch! yes best of luck with the recovery ..