What are you currently 'working on' in A.T.?-Vol.II

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 6, 2010.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Oh thank you all for your wishes. That will help ! You can imagine how frustrated I am. Already cancelled the tango holidays in March.

But thats not all: You know I posted rather self-confidently about my private-public DP constellation (I and my girl friend use to have own DPs). That was not generously !! That was reckless !! So, she is gone, too. I should have read the horoscope of 2010 more precicely.

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Speedy recovery, OD.

3. Mario7

Mario7 Member

It´s amazing how fragile we are...one has to really look around when walking, etc.. in the real world. I live in cobble stone Mexico where no one seems to be responsible for any walkways nor even the aisles inside a store...one slip and weeks of dancing can be lost, or more.
    Recover soon! Watch a lot of YouTube meanwhile.

4. bastet

bastet Active Member

ouch! I hope you feel better soon!

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I can related to what you are going through. A year ago at this time, I was out of commission from my surgery. Watching videos definitely helped me get through it (although I think it gave me a bit more of a critical eye when watching them).

The biggest issue I had when starting up again was my stamina (and at times, my balance). Believe it or not, the time off might have helped my dance, (although it's likely some of the compliments I got were from people being nice, due to my return).

6. Mario7

Mario7 Member

"Time" is an important factor even if it is downtime, in any committed learning experience.

7. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

I find the same. Often when I dance with a girl who's taking teaching and she apologises in advance for being rusty due to a few weeks off, she's considerably improved. I believe time off lets the mind forget bad stuff whilst the body retains good stuff.

8. Mario7

Mario7 Member

LOL, very true!..it's hard to bullsh:-?t the body for long!:uplaugh:

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It could be true. Although if I forget all my bad stuff, there wouldn't be much left.

;-)

10. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Working on forward walks now. I could tell what I was doing wrong, but couldn't figure out how to fix it. Teacher broke it all down for me so I am vowing to spend enough time practicing that there will be an improvement by next lesson.

11. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Would you like to share the 'breakdown'?
    My first year I had variious instructors and friends giving me advice about keeping the posture in a certain way; upright sternum, ribcage, etc. etc. I can honestly say that nothing worked. Until, a male teacher held me in his embrace in order to show me what it felt like...much more relaxed than I ever imagined..a simple, warm hug. That plus the advice to stand leaning forward (tower of Pisa) with weight on the balls of my feet and hips, legs, back, etc. very relaxed.:p

12. New in NY

New in NY New Member

My issues are different. My problem originates less in the posture than in how I use my legs. My backward walk is OK, but going forward I am not extending enough and I am not using my standing leg. She pointed out several things: that I am hesitating in responding to leader's initiation of forward walk; that I need to stretch the forward leg a bit more and then bend that leg as I bring the standing leg forward. I should mention that I am a follower and assume from your name that you are a leader and this may make some difference too.

13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

This is very, very common. I think it's our brains thinking that we will step on our partner. Guys have to get over it pretty quickly when they learn to lead. Having someone "ask" their partner to walk forward is a lot less common. It's rare to lead this and have the woman step forward like she means it.

14. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Thanks, that makes me feel better!

15. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

New_in_NY - that's still a big issue for me too. I can be going along fine, landing firmly and smoothly and then my partner leads a forward step and my body goes, "you want me to do what?" It's getting better but I still hesitate a little. With regards to walking, I did find that watching video of myself (once I got done cringing) was very helpful in pinpointing where it was breaking down for me.

16. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I lead this movement sometimes with partners I am familiar with, because I know it plays with their minds. I can feel their mind saying "Wait, is this right?" I just love it when a woman walks right into me, unflinchingly.

17. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I think a lot has to do with the mans lead. The best advice I've heard on leading while backward walking is to pretend that you are zipping up your jump-suit..it's that kind of boyant up surging body motion with each step... it works beautifully.

18. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I know this is great advice. In fact, I have been thinking about having my son videotape us to help me with some other issues which belong in the ballroom thread. I just haven't worked up the courage to watch myself dance yet ...

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

My breakthrough with forward walks came when a random leader (at a social, no less) led me in a forward walk and when I hesitated he just kept encouraging me to "push him out of the way," and "be angry," and to force him. It was funny at the time, and it certainly doesn't speak to technique at all, but it did feel the shift and see just how different (and wonderful) it felt when I really went for it and walked forward with authority. It was an amazing, eye-opening moment. After that, things seemed to fall into place fairly easily.

I think about pushing into my partner (and here I do mean "pushing"--when I walk forward, I WALK FORWARD gosh darnit!! lol.), keeping my knees and thighs together, and keeping my hips relaxed. Between everything, walking forward ends up feeling verrrrry sexy and feminine and powerful. Awesome feeling. I wish more guys would lead me in forward walks.

20. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Peaches, can you see my cabaceo?

When you think about it, the followers can only walk backward when their partners push them. After all, no one can walk backwards when they are leaning forwards. The reverse is also true. For the leaders to walk backwards, their partners have to push them.