What are you currently 'working on' in A.T.?-Vol.II

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

A worthy goal.
    In the end though, I think you will find that the "embrace" that we use affects how well you can do things on one side or the other.
    And, as long as you have a steady partner, this won't be much of a concern, but the more symmetrical you get, the more it will confound and challenge new partners who themselves have to try to be symmetrical.
    DO report back on how it goes.

2. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

First lesson in a while.

Worked on backwards walking, inviting the follower to step into my space. Ugg. I have a feeling I'm making this harder on myself by over-thinking it.

Worked on dancing in small spaces. Subtle small steps, forward, back, side, hesitation, weight changes, etc. Keeping the movement as tiny as possible.

Spent some time on a simple pattern, the front ocho to the leader's right, then the follower step back in front and collects. (Like the ocho cortado without the cross.) I remember I was complaining about signs of progress a few months ago, but now I feel like I've peeled back another layer of the onion. When I first learned the step, my teacher chided me for being too tight, restricting the movement of the follower. A few months later, it was all about supporting the follower's movement by keeping the arm loose but containing. Now we're dancing very close, and I'm supposed keep my arm snug... but not restrictive. Which a few months ago would have seemed like a contradiction, but it kind of makes sense now.

3. bafonso

bafonso New Member

embrace. walking energy.

4. Mario7

Mario7 Member

We made a breakthru today..playing Pugliese and the dark tango that slows us down and makes us pause!! just what the doctor ordered...all giros smmmooooooth and all outside parallel walking...with impeccable balance....we are both soooooo happy!

5. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Breathing...I'm finally noticing my breathing ...and I think that it's because my breathing is finally becoming 'normal' to the movements...exertion = exhale....walking=normal breathing....stillness, pause=normal breathing..feel it in and out...beauuuutifulllll...:cheers::):p

PS..fwiw, I feel that our breakthru today was after a two day lay off and that somehow during the resting period, we both put it together on some unconscious level..perhaps, muscle learning during sleep...something happened!
    Also, my partner says that she finally 'understands' the dance (after 8 weeks 4x a week plus a milonga)!...we've each session talked about the different walks and which figures will come off of each...parallel outside inside crossed footed etc. etc.. well, I'm sooooo pleased to hear her say that as I remember my confusion at the one and a half year mark....wow, it is working!
    Her quote; " Yeah, because now I can understand the dance!"

6. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Oscar Mandagaran told me something in a private lesson that I wish now I could remember verbatim, but it was all about how the breathing and movement in tango (especially for the leader) is like the expansion and contraction of the Bandoneon... hmmm.. gonna have to go back and give that some thought... i think the implication was that it is actually tied to the bandoneon's part within the piece? Anyone else here ever take from Oscar and remember his thoughts on this? It couldn't be a perfect mimic of the playing of the instrument, because in some music, you'd end up hyperventilating!

7. Subliminal

I'm not sure I've heard that before Zoops, but my teacher has worked on breathing with me before. Mainly as a subtle form of lead to help indicate syncopation/traspies.

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Interesting thought, but I wouldn't think it was feasible, as you pointed out. How would a dancer even know which direction the bellows were going?

I like to breathe deeply sometimes, just as part of the dance. And, I enjoy it when my partner then breathes with me.

9. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't meant to be literal, but just a correlation of the long vs short breaths of the instrument? Or maybe not even that... just a visualization of the expansion and contraction and how to use it with the breath in the lead?

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I haven't taken classes with Oscar, missed them when they last did a workshop here, but I've had several teachers use that example - for breathing, for the embrace, for varying the dynamic of the dance. I don't think it was literal. I kind of thought it was a common metaphor amongst tangueros 'cause of the allusion to the song "Igual que un Bandoneon" (the same as a bandoneon).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxN4CWMHEPU

11. Mario7

Mario7 Member

The town's once-a-wk. milonga has lost it's musicians and my practice partner is heading up a charity drive so taking a week or more off..for the last few days I am practicing alone...the walk, the giro right and left...today, I feel like the walk is solid and getting more so...the giro is becoming smoother...I'm now using slower tangos and when I take a step, I am focused on which is the free leg and keeping it that way, playing with it and letting it make a move around me (with the music)... this last one is adding a new level to my dance!

12. Subliminal

Giros, with different entrances and exits. Sacadas in the giro, this time in close embrace. They are easier now, I think understanding the geometry helps.

13. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Hi, can you post more about your 'understanding' of the geometry?

14. Mario7

Mario7 Member

:artsy::artsy:putting some Cadencia in my walk~!

15. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Visualisation of circles with varying radius and centre that are in one circle.
    Since performing sacada is done in circular manner, it should help.

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

What's with the quotes around understanding?

17. bafonso

bafonso New Member

Walking.

18. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Trying to figure out why this happened:

Dancing in shared weight hold.. suddenly when I walk backwards my body pushes down and into my partner. Any ideas?

I do have rather stiff hips that I normally can do something with to get them loosened up.. maybe they're just getting worse :(

19. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I take it that you are sure that it's not a problem caused by your partner? More than one partner can have the same 'problem' too...like 'sitting back' instead of leaning well forward.

20. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Well, at first it felt like *he* was backing away from *me*.. but it's normally me that goes wrong, I must admit, and he said he only did that because he couldn't help it because I was pushing down. Maybe I need to get my hips dislocated or something :rolleyes: