What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Rumba practice today! That's always cause for excitement ^_^ Got a jive high too, after finishing choreo last night. New partner and I are on the same wavelength and we're liking developing our dance together. Developing our connection and style is the aspect I'm enjoying most. Sometimes it feels like we're actually dancing. :) Four more practices till comp time, woo!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

unfortunately, the answer right now is: nothing...going to have to ponder and look into what might make that change...am thinking that dropping a style and focusing on the open smooth more as well as the new gold material in 10-dance might be a good idea....
    debmc likes this.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Let's put samba rolls in ALL THE DANCES!
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed upon new goal with pro, very excited to start the work for this next phase.
    debmc likes this.
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I seem to be better at maintaining balance, I'm feeling more solid and grounded in my movements.
    latingal and samina like this.
  7. latingal

Improvements today in jive...also happy to be seeing better lines in faster movements in the faster dances. Corrections in general posture are getting in stronger - yay!
  8. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Does that mean you're thinking of dancing rhythm??

I know you already know this...but the enthusiasm will come back eventually. Maybe making a change will bring it back...good luck! I know how frustrating this can be.
  9. fascination

no...it means I am thinking of dropping rhythm
  10. fascination

also...I am actually way past frustrated....frustrated would probably be better...I think at this point I am numb...I sense that I am beginning to miss it...I miss the flight and the motion...but...I don't exactly know what I want that to translate into anymore....that is going to have to develop
    debmc likes this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think taking a breather always helps. I haven't competed since USDC and now I can feel that I am getting motivated again to go back on the floor, and I actually added a new style.... now my styles are latin and smooth.. so I will never get to do a 9 dance or 10 dance..... sigh... unless I add rhythm back at some point. Point being that it is helpful to ponder...
  12. fascination

yes...breaks are nice and illuminating ....glad you are feeling motivated

for me, standard and smooth are both indispensible...I have always loved smooth and grown to love standard nearly as much...gasp...and I would like to keep latin
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Take the time to figure it out.... but I have seen your skill and your enthusiasm and I believe you will continue to compete, even if you end up adjusting what you want to focus on. You are way too good a dancer to stop dancing!
  14. fascination

dancing and competing are different things :)....but thank you for the wonderful compliment...I suspect you are right that I am just tired at the end of the year....but I would also like to tweak my approach before embarking upon a new year....as it is the holidays are coming which creates a built in break as my kids come home from college in two weeks...so I will have two weeks of lessons beginning monday and then will likely be off again til the 2nd week of January...and I think both the upcoming lessons and the subsequent break will help to form a sense of where I go from here
    latingal, GGinrhinestones and debmc like this.
  15. latingal

Listening to the wisdom of my internal dance voice....realizing and trusting that I have gathered and synthesized enough knowledge that I can independently make good judgments about the next steps in improving my technical dancing.

And making my dancing mine!
    debmc and Wannabee like this.
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I have been off for about 2 weeks from lessons, between pro being out of town, me being out of town, and reschedules of lessons by both of us to accomodate different functions around the holidays. This is such a busy time of year.

So I'm excited to get back to lessons tonight. Not sure what what I'm feeling excited about once I start back. I'm feeling a little disenchanted right now. But hopefully today's lesson will help me clarify where I want to go next. Fingers crossed.
  17. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

My new Open Waltz routine for smooth feels fantastic! And i get to perform it in February, excitement. All i really need is to clean up the arm styling...
    cornutt likes this.
  18. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

this isn't MY dancing specifically, but....

i am excited about the rumors of peabody coming to american smooth! Even though its a LONG way off....
  19. latingal

Dancing is feeling pretty darn good right now. Some of the performance aspects are starting to come together - yay!
  20. latingal

Excited about the results showing up in my dancing of two and half years of hard work.

When I started with my new pro, in many ways I had to go back to square one to retrain in some fundamentals that had been lacking in my previous training. It was a leap of faith, and the look of the dancing got a lot worse before it got better. But finally, after what feels like countless retread hours in the studio and more than a little consternation, I think things are finally coming together.

I've received some feedback from a few pros and a world class coach that indicate it's solidifying into my dancing. It'll just take more repetitions to make sure it comes to the comp floor. And a solid plus, it feels fantastic to dance it this way!
    Wannabee likes this.