What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

After several years of hard work my pro had a few new routines choreographed for me. We start work on them next week. I feel like I've graduated!

latingal likes this.
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm getting to the point where I can lead my silver standard with ladies who are NOT my instructor and have it actually work more or less the way it's supposed to.

j_alexandra and latingal like this.
  3. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

It's taken me three months of hard work but I've finally ironed out most of my posture problems. I can feel the muscles around the spine contracted making it stretch from the tailbone to the top of the head. I finally feel like a string is pulling me up from the top of my head lifting my rib cage and enabling my pelvis to hang in a neutral alignment. All of a sudden the techniques that make the different dances unique are starting to happen naturally and effortlessly. I feel like the beautiful dancing that admire in the pros that surround me is becoming demystified as if the lights are finally being turned on. It's difficult to contain my excitement.

j_alexandra and samina like this.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Excited that new work in basic rumba showed up twice in practice this week, and it felt great. It's disappointing when you can do it one practice, but not the next, or the one after that, or.....etc., etc. But it actually showed up twice this week - hoooray!!

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

what's this? F in the excitement thread?....cautiously optimistic that tiny little bit of happiness is little excitement buds :)

j_alexandra, latingal and debmc like this.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Being stepped on must have done it for you. :D

7. latingal

Being a "serious" student and competitor does not preclude making your happiness in your dancing day to day a priority.....

debmc likes this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Love this latingal, we have to enjoy the journey, as cliched as it sounds.

latingal likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

*wipes glasses...squints..wipes glasses again..* yep thats what it said!!!

10. Mr 4 styles

that i could work on my open gold smooth technique one minute and be busting out some popping and animation in a new WCS showdance the next.. all with out brain pain!!

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

More opportunities to dance as new social dances have been added here during the past 18 months or so. :)

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

It's not "ballroom" or even partner dancing, but I am REALLY excited about the advanced, "phrased" verion of the "Fake ID" line dance that catches all the bridges, guitar solo, etc in the song. I've been spending hours working on this. It reminds me of when "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" came out and I spent hours and hours making up and perfecting my own dance to go with it because I wasn't satisfied with what everyone else was doing. (And yes, I did it in public!)
    I bought the sheet music, and have it all marked up so I know when to do what part and what wall to be on when.
    And it's really interesting to me because this is international, and the best video of it is from Germany.

13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

While I expect a good bit of my lesson this weekend to be post-comp debrief sort of stuff, I'll also be starting my reintroduction to smooth. It's been a really, really, really long time since I've had a lesson in smooth.

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My teacher stated several times that my dancing at this past comp was better than at the last comp... always cause for celebration!!

latingal likes this.
  15. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Finally figured out how to stay grounded on the forward steps in american rumba. FINALLY. no more little pop ups for me! (well, hopefully no more). Also got a great tips on keeping weight centered and leg rise/foot rise on smooth waltz and foxtrot. Once I get that consistent, i think it will really help push my smooth along.

latingal likes this.
  16. latingal

a la Patti LaBelle...."ooh, ooh, oooh, oooh, oooh - I got a new attituuuuude" :)

17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I have a "tick" in my smooth...
    Sounds silly but I was so excited when pro put in this "tick" and I was able to respond to it...
    So great to add another little layer, ya know!

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Figured out, with the help of our instructor, that in doing rumba I have not been committing weight to the foot I'm moving to. Especially on side steps. That's made a big difference. More work on it in tomorrow's lesson.

19. Mr 4 styles

worked with smooth pro on moving center to center and not foot to foot

then practiced with the wife she asked who i was and where her husband had disappeared to it was a compliment

i thnik my smooth pro will get a nice bday gift from the mrs!!

ajiboyet and latingal like this.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons today reinforced our recent coaching...., I know I am a broken record, but each and every lesson is so good. I am so happy with current pro.