What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I made my teacher cry this week! In a good way. (Or so she says.) So, that.

ajiboyet, Mr 4 styles and debmc like this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

congrats that is how it should be !!! its just a friggin obsession errr hobby;)

3. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Next month, I am going to New York City and Seattle, Washington to attend dance workshops and take private lessons from a few of the top lindy hop dancers in the world. This one of the most exciting times of my life! I can't wait!

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I've always taken the tact in learning pro-am latin, that I wanted the whole enchilada....no, I didn't want to be a "picture line" dancer, I wanted the beautiful body, hip and leg action of good latin dancing in all dances. Yes, I looked stiff and more uncoordinated than the other ladies for many years and that after I put in more hours practicing than most of the other ladies.

Short term "look" was sacrificed to learning the fundamentals correctly - no short cuts. Hours and hours and hours spent learning the technique and repeating each miniscule part as each piece had to get in to muscle memory. Hours spent trying to figure out the muscularity, intensity, and timing of each part of the technique - so that the product would flow and look like it should.

Finally, I am beginning to enjoy the reward of all that work....being able to produce the dance at a level that I can be proud of.....is it over, finished? No, but

I....am....ecstatic....

5. OreganO

OreganO Member

Wow! There are so many things I'm psyched about this semester! Let's start with the big one: I have a partner to compete with who is at my level. We work extremely well together and he is very willing to try new things. We generally end practices with either him working with me on lambada, bachata, or salsa or me working with him on a bit of modern dance partnering and lifts which are great for showcases.

I'm also assisting with a beginner class and am having a blast helping everyone learn and spreading the passion.

In addition to that, I am choreographing two ballroom show pieces for the end of March: one smooth F/T/W and another foxtrot/chacha. The smooth piece is for 3 couples and each hit a bunch of fantastic points last rehearsal. The foxtrot/chacha is a bit more chaotic with 7 couples and is also coming together quite nicely despite working with an incredibly wide range of skill levels. Hooray!

ajiboyet and latingal like this.
  6. OreganO

OreganO Member

I'm back again with more exciting things to add. My partner and I have been working some walt choreography for a showcase and I've been adding in a few new steps to our vocabulary and a dramatic leap lift. Yesterday during an in costume practice, he spontaneously began practicing the new steps with me including our leap-lift which is a lot of fun. At this point, I'm really excited that he is excited and enthusiastic about all of this.

ajiboyet likes this.
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Breaking into a cha-cha with my dance partner in the middle of Times Square. :D

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Am working hard and the latest changes to my dancing are starting to show up on more days then they are not....still working under speed mostly, but it's getting there.

samina and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  9. kckc

kckc Active Member

You know you are addicted to dancing when....sorry! Wrong thread :)

ajiboyet likes this.
  10. kckc

kckc Active Member

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this spinning thing. Specifically, how to stay on the spot and do multiple spins instead of travelling so much. It shouldn't be such a hard concept and life is much easier when it is done correctly, but man, why didn't I figure this out sooner! Oh well, happy now.

ajiboyet and fascination like this.
  11. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Our dancing feels like dancing, and we survived four rounds of a full 5 dance. Huzzah!

ajiboyet, latingal and samina like this.
  12. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I did my first solos (two of them!) at our studio showcase a week ago! There were a few hiccups, but they went pretty well.

Found something new in connection last week. V exciting! :D

latingal likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

did some hustle in front of California Adventure

drew a nice crowd!!

latingal likes this.
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

This. Is. Awesome.

I'm so happy for everyone! My samba has been improving...I don't think I can ever achieve the perfect whisks or bota fogos or stationary walks...but they've all been improving strongly. And I'm happy.

FTR I mean I'll keep working on my basics forever. But no, I don't put myself down.

twothreefourone and latingal like this.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

...This is going to be a really, really REALLY good showcase.

latingal likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

SwayWithMe likes this.
  17. Janson

Janson Active Member

Moving up to open choreography and costuming for Latin! Are you ever entirely ready? We figure it'll be fun and we do think our technique will allow us not to stick out like a sore thumb.

Interestingly, it's almost the opposite in ballroom - I'm planning to strip the routine back to the basics and dance it beautifully, rather than the mess of our current routines. Most probably wouldn't be interested it dropping difficulty of choreography, but I think it'll be a nice chance to actually dance our best.

18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

That makes two people I know (including me) that use that expression.

latingal likes this.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm kind of enjoying smooth...except for foxtrot, for some reason. Can't really get into foxtrot. Oh well, as I said in another thread.....still gotta do it! Doing smooth with a pro who is excellent at smooth, well, it is just awesome! At bronze level smooth you are so connected to your pro, you can really appreciate their skills. I'm being led into steps that I don't even know!

fascination likes this.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

American FT is my least favorite...

sad to say, I don't think excitement is a very big part of my dance experience these days....BUT, I am finding my experience with standard to be very consoling right now...am on break for the next two weeks and that is the part that I will miss most

latingal likes this.