What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Which 3 dance styles do you do ProAm?

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

rhytym and Latin with one pro, took this year off to concentrate on smooth with another

back at all three next year god and time willing:D

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons today... covered latin... still have to get on my foot faster, but samba, paso and jive are looking better. Then we did our first pretend competition round in smooth.... to make sure I could actually do it... it went well. I said I would decide today if I would include VW in my next comp... I guess I will..., overall a nice lesson....

latingal and Mr 4 styles like this.
  4. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

argentine tango!!!!!

5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I'm competing in Standard for the first time next month. My gown arrived yesterday, and we ran everything in costume during today's lesson. Dancing with floats was an interesting experience!

fascination likes this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have finally discovered my inner thighs.

fascination, twnkltoz and chomsky like this.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Um, well...that should significantly improve your world...in more ways than one. ;)

chomsky and SwayWithMe like this.
  8. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

wish I can discover mine too!!!

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Received a very nice and unexpected compliment from a lady pro that I respect. It gives me hope that I'm heading in the right direction.

Wannabee, debmc, SwayWithMe and 2 others like this.
  10. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Lovely! I keep a mental store of those special compliments to draw on when the going gets tough.

latingal likes this.
  11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

New ideas about head weight in coaching yesterday made a huge difference. Excited to apply this through everything!!

Back to compliments: I was chatting with a new face at the party last Friday, said she used to teach "decades ago," and that she was very much enjoying watching me dance. I thanked her and said something about how much I love it and that I put in a lot of hours, and about my upcoming comp. She asked whether I teach *all* the dances. (Why do people always assume that I teach?!?) LOL I'm still amused by her reaction to me saying I'm not a teacher -- mouth open aghast, "OMG, you're a *student*?!? You're fantastic!" Makes me wonder a bit about her teaching background...

latingal likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Had my very first experience of feeling like I was floating (instead of my usual smooth, but working) during a wall or two of waltz this week. Awesome feeling, and now I just need to figure out how to feel that all the time.

My first reaction was 'let's do that again'!

SwayWithMe and debmc like this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I had that as well... it made me realize why people love smooth/standard...... a very connected floaty feeling when it goes well!

SwayWithMe likes this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Viennese Waltz has always been one of those dances that I did not do... not a clue... and now, today, there I am viennese waltzing (?) to music with pro, and it actually feels good.. ( no clue how it looks), and I am just amazed....

15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Excited about advances in the action and control of the rhythmical dances!!

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

standard following. it's a whole new world these days

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

eyes finally open huh???:D

kidding.. the mrs is noting an evolution in the same area now that she practices standard witha pro and not just me

fascination likes this.
  18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Having a really great time at Emerald Ball this week! (and met 3wishes today!)

debmc and 3wishes like this.
  19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

That everything came together, quite literally, at Emerald. Nice hanging out SwayWithMe.

SwayWithMe, debmc and fascination like this.
  20. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Went to a multi-studio dance party last night. So glad I can finally follow most of the leaders enough to enjoy social dancing. Danced all night and only had a couple of awkward moments that required a full stop/restart (and perhaps one of those wasn't my fault lol). Since I had never danced with most of these leaders before, I consider that a testament to the improvement of my following skills :) .

And the occasional dances that I got to do with my pro, a little slice of heaven flying around the floor, following him while he navigated lots of traffic, direction changes at full speed, etc. It was a great night of dancing. And to think I almost didn't go...

3wishes, kckc, debmc and 1 other person like this.