What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Congrats 3wishes! Well deserved.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I totally relate...I feel as though I am finally in that space as well...it is a huge benchmark
    Wannabee likes this.
  3. Andreth

Andreth Member

So many wonderful epiphanies for me lately, it's hard to believe how earth shaking some of them seem for my dancing, but a lot simply came from watching Youtube videos of coaches like Marcus and Karen Hilton and other's of their ilk and working things out with DP, and then a few from some coachings with wonderful world class coaches this year. I wish I could actually implement all of the technical concepts I've come to understand. I owe a lot to DP for being just as much of a dance nerd as I am, if not more. :)

A huge one is that everything, and I mean everything, comes/starts in the feet and legs. Every shape, every turn of the head, every movement has to come from there. Each shape that does not correspond to the legs and feet...now I understand why it looks and feels so random or off kilter.

Also...huge, that you can't actually rotate the body and pivot at the same time. When pivoting, you have to be square, or else you'll pull yourself and the partnership off balance. So in any rotation the question is, am I rotating here or pivoting here? Or both, but one first and the other second?

I've also discovered the power of the various edges of the balls of my feet, and how I can pull myself around on the floor in various directions and cause certain body rotations by "grabbing the floor" in different ways. So fun and stablizing too, especially in tango (the chase!).

Finally, the whole concept of being forward weighted and resisting the momentum to send the body back when dancing backward, especially in foxtrot, and instead of sending the body back so soon, keeping the chest over the balls of the feet and sucking in the abs back as the foot goes back.

And I know there are so many other breakthroughs just waiting to happen...that keeps me motivated!
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Learning more about the how and why good dancing looks like good dancing...and putting that information to work!
    gracie likes this.
  5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Congratulations, you danced beautifully!!! I enjoyed hanging out with you, too :) Fun!
  6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

had a great coaching with one of the female pros at my studio. She is fabulous at puncturing my ego and pushing me to do even better. I have three pages of notes of stuff that I'll need to get a move on practicing!
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Pro started Open Smooth Waltz with me last night while DH, although very weak from heart episode, sat and watched, Pro warned me "don't laugh at me when I come at you cause I'm going to get really close to your face"....couldn't help it...both me and DH burst out laughing...it was good...really it was good. Very thrilled to be starting new patterns.
    gracie, chomsky and SwayWithMe like this.
  8. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

9. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Still Mambo! It's new and it's working!

But wow, 4 pivots in a row in Foxtrot is dreamy. <3
  10. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

Learning more gold steps (passed my silver medal with honours, yay!) and dancing actually feeling like dancing again now the steps are actually interesting.
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Comp season's done for a couple months, so we're tricking out our routines with new choreo we've been wanting to try. Can definitely lead to some arguments with the partner, but it's usually a blast!

Also, just started samba rolls and batucadas. Hours of hard practice are imminent!
  12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Coaching, where I show up and it's said "wow, your body is really changing...I love it, keep doing what your doing" then the entire coaching is on shaping..stretching....hmmmm yoga on steroids? LOVED it.
    chomsky and stash like this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

musicality...and a change in perspective
    latingal likes this.
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It's working! It's working!! Holy guacamole batman!!
    stash, chomsky and fascination like this.
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

realizing that after two and a half years I am still very timid and shy around my pros mydance partners and even my classmates…and that’s why I don’t dance...what a discovery it is for me….
    latingal likes this.
  16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Having a week off. After working 6p-2a, being in South Bend by 9:15 that morning for hair and makeup, having a long wait between showcase and mulitdance (where I am sure I was violently off time in rumba), having to leave before awards (not that it matters as I'm sure I didn't get anything special for the showcase and I'm sure I was second in Latin) so I don't even know how I did because I had to work 6-2 again, and capping it all off by the dog waking me up at 7:30 on Sunday, I need a break.
  17. Janson

Janson Active Member

Dancing a Tango and a Samba for the very first time in a competition! Pretty simple routines, and some work to be done on technique - but should be great fun!
    mindputtee, chomsky and latingal like this.
  18. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

There's a guy at the studio who comes in to practice by himself wearing a hoodie. The hood is pulled really far over his head so he can't see other people watching him.
    chomsky likes this.
  19. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I am able to pull my center in without having my butt stick out. I feel more grounded and alot of actions I had a hard time doing before is more doable now.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Uh oh.... I think I actually like smooth....almost as much as latin....
    danceronice, mindputtee and Gorme like this.