What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Sania

Sania Active Member

Time to try new venues, new coaches, etc? A sabbatical into a different style? IIRC, you live a train ride from a major city...

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not really...if anything changes, it will involve a lengthy period of reflection/time off....I am not one for jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire...BTDT....as for the rest; I currently dance 4 styles...that may change...but my fatigue involves several issues from the micro level of my dancing to the larger system and everything in between, as well as issues external to dance...I know what they are and I know what my options are on all sorts of levels...there is not a simple solution...but it is all good...for now, I enjoy my lessons most of the time and I am simply going to see where that takes me

chomsky and Sania like this.
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Going through and trying to eliminate any weird body lines....and gads, I can do some really odd looking things. :)

chomsky and FancyFeet like this.
  4. Sania

Sania Active Member

Are you using video to 'find' the ones you don't like?

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Rapid frame photos are where I find mine... Advancing the video frame by frame might have the same effect.

6. latingal

Some I can see in the mirror, others by video....

7. latingal

The funniest thing is my dancing actually looks better in slow motion, what's up with that?

FancyFeet, Wannabee and middy like this.
  8. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I am so excited about winning top student this past weekend at my comp. Yes, it was a small, local comp but still. I can't help but be excited. Especially as this was my first time to compete in silver and I was debuting all new routines. It was far from perfect, but I loved every minute of it.

I also won my 2 scholarships and 3 lead-follow dances where you are paired with an instructor from another studio, just for fun. And I won those with 2 different instructors lol.

Seeing as how I rarely have the opportunity or the mindset to celebrate my success at comps, I'm going to let it be ok to be excited for a bit about this most recent one. In a couple of days, it's back to work lol

sbrnsmith, debmc, chomsky and 4 others like this.
  9. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Excited about my solo at an out-of-town showcase last weekend. A lot of things finally clicked there!

Hoping coach does get to the things she said she'd planned for today. Yesterday was a hard slog, and NOT exciting.

10. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I'm excited about improvisation in my dancing.

stash, Terpsichorean Clod and cornutt like this.
  11. latingal

Quiet day at the studio today, you can get a lot done with that amount of free floor space!

12. OreganO

OreganO Member

A former coach/mentor visited my team last Saturday and I have so many new tiny details I can work on! My school is particularly strong in smooth and standard; I am more passionate about latin and rhythm so I learned some new intricacies I can add in to latin and rhythm that usually aren't reached here. Yay! Plus she gave my partner who has an injured knee some helpful advice so we're moving bigger in smooth and standard.

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Results from the comp this weekend were night and day compared to the comp two weeks ago. We've got a good idea of what we need to do to move forward now, and my partner is seeming much more enthused about it.

14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Finally learning to use and articulate my upper body and torso more and connect it to the leg action. Also finally building some solid fundamentals in smooth/standard that I can't wait to apply when I practice this week.

Terpsichorean Clod and latingal like this.
  15. chomsky

Finally letting my pro dance. Finally abandoning myself to dance. Finally following.

Terpsichorean Clod and latingal like this.
  16. bluslu

bluslu Member

First comp this weekend. Rhythm practice last night. Being told we're now good enough to go for a line in cha crossovers. We'll see if either of us are confident enough to do it at the comp since we're both competing bronze as well. Also, we managed to make eye contact! Heh. Sounds silly but I am horrible at eye contact, just doesn't come naturally. I've worked hard on focusing on other things so I at least don't have drifty eyes. Pro made us find the spots where we should look at each other in rumba. Again, hopefully I find the confidence to look. He has no problems, it just doesn't come natural for me. So it was a good practice while also being intense.

Also worked on the waltz and foxtrot basic left and right turn. It was nice to take a step back and work on technique. I love when smooth starts to come together better.

17. chomsky

thanks for sharing this. I'm getting better at it too, thanks to my friends which have helped me practice. Though I think it does have more to do with how I feel about myself, not them.

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think I have finally gotten over the 'I don't get the jive' battle! I have a better understanding of the basics.

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I get to go to a party! Okay it's the guest party, not Friday night (I work then) but still! And we're going to do a spotlight! Okay, this is less 'do a mini show' (though as I can never do parties or the fall showcase because of work, there's probably some pity elements there) than "Let's see how much of the Silver cha cha has really sunk in" but still! And at least ONE person from work will finally see what I use my PTO for as she's my guest--she's always wanted to learn to dance, so hopefully this is just her first party of many!

chomsky, cornutt and dancelvr like this.
  20. latingal

Enjoying helping a new practice partner make some awesome breakthroughs!!