What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

99% sure my smooth practice partner and I will be doing some am/am entries at local comp near the end of the summer...super excited to get back on the floor in the style after a long time off!!
    chomsky, cornutt, SwayWithMe and 2 others like this.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

rediscovered my passion and longing and inspiration in dance.
    cornutt likes this.
  3. chomsky

get back on the floor after a long time off....I love this words!!!!!!!!!!
  4. bowi

bowi New Member

last weekend I went to my second competition ever. The first time was about 3 months ago at another college competition, where I participated in the beginners class. The beginners class is for people that have been dancing for less then 1 year. That time I didn't manage to get past the first round in both standard and latin.

For this competition I first needed to find a partner for the competition. There was a special program for that the night before. Unfutunaly I wasn't able to find a partner. Our team leader tried really hard to get me a partner for the first competition, but wasn't able to to. This meant that I wasn't able to participate in standard the next day, which was very bad for my mood.

There was another blind date program on saturday to find a partner for the latin competition on sunday. Just like the previous program, I was unsuccesful. The ladies said that they were much better then me, which my teacher disagreed with, but there is not much I can do about it. Luckily our team captain managed to find an open class lady who was willing to dance with me in addition to her own competition, so I danced with her for latin.

Since I didn't manage to get past the first round, my new goal was to get to the second round. After the first round, the waiting for the results started and I managed to get to the second round yeey. This continued for a couple of more rounds, and we actually reached the final, which was waaaaaaay waay waaaaay beyond my expectations. The final was definately my best dancing experience so far. A few hundred people cheering from the sides of the dance floor, for the 6 couples on the floor. I ended up at last place in the final, but it was still an awesome experience.
    But I do keep wondering how much of this performance was actually from me and how much from my open class partner.

pleace don't mind the language errors. English is not my main language.
    Dean, chomsky, ajiboyet and 2 others like this.
  5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I seem to have stumbled onto the solution to a foot and leg action problem (which I wasn't even aware of) that could make my cha cha locks better. Haven't tried it in front of a mirror yet (or a knowledgeable person), but I think I'm on to something.
    chomsky likes this.
  6. chomsky

welldone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bowi likes this.
  7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

We started getting choreography for a tango showdance yesterday and coach decided it needed guns. :D
    cornutt likes this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

So you're saying he wants you to wear a sleeveless dress?

:D
    cornutt, llamasarefuzzy and ajiboyet like this.
  9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

New choreography for pretty much everything!!!!
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  10. Dancing Irishman

Finally feel like I can start making breakthroughs in smooth/standard. And they might help my latin to boot!
    llamasarefuzzy and JudeMorrigan like this.
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Or a torpedo bra...
  12. chomsky

I am back on track. I am young again!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am reborn!
    cornutt likes this.
  13. mindputtee

Bahahaha
  14. Dancing Irishman

So curious....but I really doubt that I should google that at work...
    Sania likes this.
  15. mindputtee

Imagine cones. Also called a "bullet bra".
  16. Dancing Irishman

Practices with my Latin partner are going amazingly well! Our coach gave us a totally new way to structure our practice conversations and the results have been amazingly productive so far.
  17. JudeMorrigan

I'm really quite excited for Derby City in a couple of weeks. The fields have filled out quite nicely. I feel like my new partner and I are approaching this comp with a good attitude. So long as my knee holds up, it really should be a good experience.
  18. JudeMorrigan

Vol State tomorrow. It'll be my first time competing in silver smooth. And then reiterating my last post, Derby City the week after. This'll be my first time dancing two comps in two weeks.

My assigned mantra for these competitions (it's a thing my pro does): Let It Go.

:D
  19. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

Comp coming up this weekend. Looking forward to it.
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  20. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Switching from American Style to International--great challenge and I love it!