What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I guess what I find exciting particularly today is that I have started believing in dance in my life again. What if I cant' dance? I can still dance every single moment of my life as long as I put my mind to it. After all, dance isn't dance; Dance is life, dance is a way of life.
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

chomsky I'm glad you're finding a way to find the dancing no matter what happens with "formal" lessons.

As for me, I'm excited to actually get to dance with someone tomorrow....I'm kinda' tired of dancing by myself this week.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we have a showcase this weekend, I am just doing a be-dazzled version of my comp stuff...but it will be a nice change of pace, plus dh is coming and some friends so I am looking forward to that...plus my next comp is really going to feel more like a vacation than a comp, so I have two pretty nice scenarios in the hopper right now and I am looking forward to that
  4. Aura

Aura Active Member

I got another compliment on my steadily-improving Smooth dancing on Thursday. Yay! :bouncy:
  5. DancinMachine

DancinMachine New Member

Improving my natural spin turn :) Apparently I had been kind of muscling my partner through it and it looked rightish! I pulled one on my instructors wife and she was like whoooooooa what are you doing? I'm still a big clumsy but the spin is focusing more on her starting energy not mine :)
  6. latingal

new choreography in rumba; feels better and dances more easily - but waaay different than my last routine. hope it looks good!!
  7. anametuer

anametuer Member

Practice and get as much as possible in muscle memory, the techniques learned last week, Cha cha, Rumba, Waltz..
  8. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

The feeling of connection and elasticity in partner dancing when you are dancing from your core, using your knees and leg compression and you feel like you are flying along in a fox-trot grapevine covering more ground then you have ever accomplished before. Magical.
  9. Terciel

Terciel Member

I have full and complete Silver Waltz and Quickstep routines!
  10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

New part to our Smooth Waltz -- throwaway oversway in an alternate hold to a one-handed same foot lunge to a checked line to a runaround ... SQUEE!
  11. Aura

Aura Active Member

Pro told me yesterday after our lessons that he could see me doing major competitions when I get more experienced. He's a very honest teacher, so it made me feel really nice. Until then, I just gotta keep dancing.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Things are coming together nicely. I have been working with a new rhythm pro for a couple of months now and our routines are coming together nicely for open silver. So far we have swing, bolero and mambo.. next up rumba and chacha. After trying out a couple of different pros for latin I've found a great latin pro too and our first lesson yesterday was excellent. After having a month in limbo it feels so good to be up and running again with two new pros, new routines and we even have a competition in sight. It feels great!
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If we really are going to Michigan, I have two weeks to really KNOW all the Rhythm routines.
    Whee!
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

happy for you deb...

doi, I learned 19 new routines in 5 weeks when I switched pros...you can do this
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The problem is less learning them (I don't really memorize deliberately anyway, just repeat them enough times I learn it) than getting wires crossed between old routines and new. Muscle memory is REALLY strong. Also, NP uses a mix of sylabi but a lot of some come, very clearly, off AM, and ECS espeically makes me want to double over laughing at the goofier figures like those shoulder taps. Whoever thought I'd miss my personal Swing bugbear, the Miami Special?
  16. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

Last two days, I just went through a Thought Patterns for Higher Performance seminar at work. I'm rather excited to apply what I learned there regarding self-talk, visualization, blind spots, comfort zones, and many more helpful concepts to my dancing.
  17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm experiencing that myself. New latin pro does not use routines, so if he does a particular pattern that my prev pro used, my muscle memory kicks in and says, well we always do this pattern after that pattern. I am having to undo this part... but actually I am enjoying it. It keeps me on my toes, and I am sure I will learn the new way. I'm embracing change!
  18. Andreth

Andreth Member

Just got back into practicing with DP after a few months off of regular practice (he has been working with our coaches on starting up a new studio, yay!), and somehow thing are feeling a lot better, particularly from a lead and follow perspective. I think because we haven't been thinking as hard about our dancing lately, things are kind of falling into place because we're more relaxed and trusting each other more. Funny how that works. Still, we may have just have lost touch with how bad our dancing is since we haven't been critiqued lately, but overall it's nice to see that improvement when I was afraid we'd regress. Something with the connection seems to have really clicked recently.
  19. latingal

taking the time to feel the movements again....
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Getting my first two callbacks in silver latin this weekend! :D After heavy focus on standard, it is nice to know that my latin is improving as well... just slowly :p