What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

We're only doing cc/r/sw, so I can dance more freestyles and I only have three routines to worry about (and cc and r aren't that bad, it's mostly Swing that's the problem.) No worries, I can handle three dances in two weeks with one lesson remaining! I love having competitions this close together.

2. gracie

gracie Active Member

Congratulations!! That's great!

3. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Two breakthroughs today with different coaches. Learned a Gold Standard Tango routine with my coach and he said "I'm proud of you - you're getting "it" He describes "it" as great partner dancing with two people expressing themselves together and beautifully to music..helping the other have the freedom e.g. balance to express and suggest the wonderful nuances. Today - I felt on balance, connected, and expressive. My second breakthrough came with a female coach I am working with for Open Smooth Waltz - she demonstrated a more expansive way to dance my opening and after an hour I was engaging muscles I had forgotten existed! Lots of motrin tonight...

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Reverse fallaway to slip pivot. Waaaay cool!

5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Congrats on the breakthrough. It's moments like that that remind us why we love to dance so much :)

6. Griffico

Griffico Member

We had a breakthrough in rumba the other night.. we've been struggling with dancing "together" in many of the latin dances, and after much adjusting I could 'feel' where my entire partner's body was at the entire time. It got me so giddy I actually started laughing (while we were dancing) and scared her a bit!

7. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Hi Griffico - connection to your partner is what it is all about. Takes a while to learn in ballroom dancing...but, WOW - the hard work shows on the dance floor.

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

hmmm....what am I excited about? every once in a while you get a flash of what it should be....

unfortunately, that's it, that's all I've got today....

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My plane ticket for Millenium this June is bought and paid for. I guess that means my next comp is official. :)

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In the many senses of 'excited...'

NP has hurt his back and can't dance next week. :(

Other Pro at the studio has one student going. She's not in my age group. :D

I've never had a lesson with Other Pro so we're doing this on one lesson Tuesday night where NP may or may not have time to coach us (though he'll go over things with OP at some point.) :O

Whee!

11. latingal

Doing a lot of routine repetitions with am partner right now, have done it so many times that I am beginning to play with focus, arms, dynamics etc. I'm even starting to try to throw in some ad lib rhythmical body action now and then. The thing I'm excited about? It's really freeing up my dancing....

12. ktia85

ktia85 Member

Placed 1st in all my entries except one which was 2nd place at MCI. Working on a VW routine to "I'll Be" and going to St. Pete Classic next month! Things are great in my dancing world right now! :)

13. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

14. latingal

so many things finally coming together!

15. Grilas

Grilas New Member

Beginning to work on International.

16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

It may seem an odd thing to post on a thread about exciting things in dancing, but I have been really struggling with some internal feelings surrounding my dancing (not so much the actual dancing, more like insecurities, self-doubt, and the like).

These feelings had me handcuffed for the past couple of months, both mentally and physically during lessons, etc. I really had a difficult time coming to terms with everything that was going on (both in real life and in my head). But after perservering when I wanted to quit, I can finally say that I'm over it! And that is likely the most exciting thing that has happened in my dancing. It's nice to see yourself mature and be able to see your efforts to overcome something pay off.

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

congrats...I agree that some of my greatest accomplishments through dance have been internal

18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Congrats KTIA85 on your accomplishments.
    And kudos - Wannabee - overcoming the internal tape recordings and the way "we" see things through our eyes - is a huge huge step (no pun intended snicker) forward to dancing with freedom.

19. latingal

the beauty of the dance!

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

YES! as I prance around my living room and husband says, "what just happened at your lesson". Something amazing, something I could not have anticipated.....decided to carefully attempt Quickstep (having not danced Standard since OSB and allowing injury to slowly heal). Well, pro said,,,let's Waltz for warm up and see what you remember.....he didn't say a word...not one word...and I followed...EVERYTHING - and new figures with sway and lots of shape that he never ever showed me previously...and he jumped up and down at the end, gave me a huge hug...and we both smiled....I'm so happy I could cry! QS and FT were amazing, at the end...his only statement was "welcome back to Gold level"....YES YES YES!