What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

How is this not just a side step followed by the back-side-front sequence (a very typical way to lead a molinete')?

It seems like you are saying that what you do before that side step to the left is the "new" part you are working on?

I'm not understanding why this is complex.
  2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Ah... now that I see the video, I see what you are saying.

Because I have so often been led in what you would probably call "1/2" of the ocho cortado sequence, i tend to think of only the 3 count (to either side) as the ocho cortado. This may or may not be "correct" but it's less usual for me to be led in the full 6 count pattern, therefore what you are describing to do was simply a side step into a clockwise molinete. But I see now that you intend to go into it from having done the first 3 count of OC the other direction.

Actually, the most common time that I've been led in the 4-5-6 portion is AFTER a clockwise molinete in order to return to a basic left over right front cross.
  3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Oscar mentions a 6ct movement that is done all night long in the milongas, and discusses variations on it. If you are counting musical beats it would be 1&2 3&4. This video mentions it also:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiLHxgoJpM
    At about 2:23 he shows it repeatedly. I consider that to be a standard element of AT. I rarely see the "cortado" movement done independently of the whole figure.

I'm looking for a variation where the second half would lead instead into a clockwise molinete.
  4. sixela

sixela Active Member

For me, the ocho cortado is just two or may be three step ([forward step plus] side step [as the one from the molinete] and reversal to cross), hence our different perspective on things. That's also why the naming makes sense, it's a double step forward equivalent to the backward ocho milonguero (after a forward step or regular ocho, instead of a second forward ocho you insert a sidestep from a molinete and a reversal to the cross so that foot ends forward and the partners end in a parallel embrace).
  5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I guess for me, I've always considered the 3&4 to be the ocho cortado, with the 1&2 just being a possible setup for it. You are right that it's commonly done that way, though.

I also use the 1&2 to setup other steps, as mentioned in a prior post. I will also do the 3&4 (ocho cortado) from the front step of a CW giro, rather than always setting it up by the rock steps 1&2.

Basically, any way that you can get the follower to the front step with her right foot, and using some CW pivot, you can then do the ocho cortado, front ocho, giro, and another (4th) option I'll do there is a single axis turn (AKA colgada).
  6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

It would become a rock step turn, then you keep going round into a molinete......
  7. AndaBien

That's right.
  8. gniksic

gniksic New Member

Some things already mentioned by Sixela, dchester and maybe others: walk and the embrace. In the last 6 months my wife and I have taken some private lessons and technique classes. Tanks to that, I've been able to execute the "workshop" topics I've seen recently without much trouble. Also, the amount of time I need to adapt to a new partner reduced dramatically after that.

Apart from these fundamental things: many sacadas, seen at the Fernando and Ariadna class (some are more useful in a milonga crowd, some less), and some fun milonga and vals stuff.

Also I have to start working on spiral motion. The first couple I've seen do spirals in a workshop were Rodrigo and Agustina. It's a rather new concept for me and not an easy one... Have you had any experience with spirals, or even colgadas (the small, short, circular ones that seem useful for social dancing)?
  9. chanchan

chanchan Member

The naming makes sense because it is like a forward ocho where pivots are replaced with cortes (rock steps). The first corte is in 1&2 and allows the follower to cross forward with her right foot, the second corte is 3&4 and allows her to cross forward with her left foot. With no pivot and no corte it would become a forward ocho milonguero.

Of course the two cortes are independent and can be done alone, but in this case there is no point in calling it "ocho", just like a single pivot is not an ocho.
  10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I do some close embrace colgadas (single axis turns). Here is a tutorial video that helped me learn how to do them. BTW, this turn can also be initiated from a side step (in the video below, it's initiated from a rockstep turn).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSkK1QtkeM

Here is a performance video that helped me figure out how to do it clockwise (@ 0:55 is the first one). You can play around with the foot positioning to make it a bit easier, or go for the maximum amount of turn (like they are) before (the leader) having to make another step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7OVyYrLur8
  11. bordertangoman

milonguero giros con sacadas.......

nearly nailed and it takes my dancing into a new dynamic level.......

:D
  12. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Is that a specific thing, or is that just another name for close embrace sacadas? :)
  13. bordertangoman

in this video its desciribed as clockwise turn followed by okko cortado ( sic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWDlnsb6PQo

but my aim is to dance them like this

[yt]Dg8NLFNbqrQ&playnext=1&list=PLB8883F831FA7B545[/yt]
  14. AndaBien

Very nice, indeed. In my experience, I think you need a partner who will really crank those molinetes.
  15. AndaBien

I've been trying to perfect this giro for a while. I discovered that if I held really good posture and axis it was easier.
  16. bordertangoman

love it; my next lesson will be
    "Crank those Molinetes ( Yeah Baby)"
  17. sixela

sixela Active Member

What's that? Occam's razor in Castellano?

What a lesson in "how to sound pretentious when speaking and still FAIL".

Didn't like the posture of the leader in that video either (obviously not the Mamie&Carlitos one, the "okko" one). Can't put my finger on it, but there's something that looks (almost "feels") wrong in the embrace and they're a lot more stilted than most real milongueros I've seen (though not necessarily more than some others who're convinced they belong to the True Church of the Milonguero, though).

But hey, if it works for him (and more importantly, her,...)
  18. gniksic

gniksic New Member

This is a bit different from what I've had in mind but it seems simple and useful. Thank you.
  19. bordertangoman

BUT what is useful is the slow motion aspect of the dvd...

i think the comments about the timing are disingenuous.
    the point is that he is making two steps in the space of her making one.

you'r all grown up enough to add your own musicality..

now if I could slo-mo youtube vids I would be very happy....
  20. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Why cant you? In the moment when you watch a YT vid on your PC, it is temporarily loaded into the entrails of your browser cache. Find the newest entry by sorting by date or weight, give it a decent ending as f.i .flv and drag it on to your desktop. Second way is, load down a free download app for YT. Since you have that "material" YT file physically on your desktop you can watch it with a viewer frame by frame or with the slomo function.