What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, Jul 10, 2011.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Ah, you are a game and anime junky:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okko

This is the figure/character Okko cortado (have you seen the cut off head?)

[​IMG]
  2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

do you want to start an anime thread:

; the adventures of Okko Kortado....
    :D
  3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Is there a viewer you would recommend, that plays flv files in slow motion?
  4. dchester

I was trying some of this at practica last night. For whatever reason, it didn't seem too bad going clockwise, but when I tried the turn counterclockwise, some of the sacadas seemed much more difficult.

One more thing to work on . . .
  5. pwpulto

pwpulto Member

Put notations of five tango movements (in labanotation) on my website plus a video example.
  6. opendoor

over here in Europe vlc seems to be one of the most used viewer. (By the way, read about its interesting history.)

[​IMG]
  7. bordertangoman

i think that's why its called the milonguero right turn

and no success with the slo-mo..perhaps the frame interval in youtube is too slow..
  8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2 New Member

I can recommend VLC, too: It's fast, reliable and plays almost everything.

And since it took me some time to find out:
    When the video is playing in VLC, pressing the "-" slows it (if desired multiple times), pressing the "+" accelerates it (if desired multiple times).
  9. dchester

I have VLC on my main computer. I've never tried using it to play flv files though (I normally use real player). I'll see if VLC can play the flv files in slow motion.

Thanks
  10. opendoor

In this vid a giro-combination is shown, it differs from the usually in traditional tango taught 8-point-turn which switches between X- and ||-system. At 0:33 it starts with the so called "knife" of his RF in X-system, followed by the same steps a second time.

Carlitos puts his RF at 0:20 inside her LF which is typical for Villa Urquiza. ( I use to place it outside) At 0:22 the second giro is in ||-system as taught in VU-style, as well.

Since when do milonguero-stylists turn at all?? And why do you think it´s done right?? :banana:
  11. dchester

In the video you posted with Mamie and Carlitos, they did the turns in both directions, and thus, I tried it in both directions. I suspect when turning to the right, they call it a right turn, and when turning to the left, they call it a left turn. Maybe I have it wrong, though.

[yt]Dg8NLFNbqrQ&playnext=1&list=PLB8883F831FA7B545[/yt]
  12. bordertangoman

i will watch again....

maybe the woman has to lead the CCW turn...
  13. sixela

sixela Active Member

VLC player (and the - key) is your friend. And DownloadHelper is your *second* friend, by the way, so that you can first download it to hard disk instead of slo-mowing from the 'net.
  14. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

When you activate the advanced controlls you can use the repeate function for an interesting section of your video. When the repetition is going on you can even adjust the speed. Adv controlls are under View tab - second from the right, near the Help.
    I use the camera sometimes - my profile picture here is taken by VLC camera.

If you make a search on - ladyleader VLC - you find a text and a primitive video about the functions.

Red dot: two clicks - a small film is created
    Camera: one click - a picture is taken
    Repetition: click to start and click to mark the end of repetition section
  15. dchester

Thanks for this. Actually, I'm quite familiar with VLC, but for whatever reason, it never occurred to me to try it with flv files (feeling rather foolish at the moment).

As usual, it does the trick.
  16. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

I see!

When reading the notes I did not see these functions mentioned and the repetition possibility has been one of the cornerstones in my video life.
  17. Wanderer2

Wanderer2 New Member

Don't - I have some faint recollection, that it didn't work ok in the early days.
    That is why I still routinely convert all videos to XVid
  18. bordertangoman

19. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

This is our best floor on Sundays!
    Come and test Giorgios place some Sunday starting in September!
  20. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I think it's just the nature of the embrace. Even if you are using the squared up embrace and not the V, there are still a couple inches difference just because of the head offset. Sometimes a couple inches can make all the difference, especially in close. (Insert double entendra. :) )