What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, Jul 10, 2011.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I encourage you in the direction you are exploring.
  2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

[yt]2bEE3mTWGtw[/yt]
  3. sixela

sixela Active Member

It's not that I can't dance in a small space. It's that when other couples shoot off and leave lots of space I should know better than to take large steps in order to close the gap.
  4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Forwards ochos.

I'm discovering that the shape of the ochos vary quite a lot depending on what the leader does (i.e. rotate or sidestep). Which, yes, in hindsight is a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but I'm a slow learner.
  5. AndaBien

My favorite part of tango is discovering how many different ways there are to do the most basic steps.
  6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Planeos on my left foot. Frequently they bring tears in my eyes. Perhaps you remember, that I had an injury with my left knee last year. Still the knee and the musculature isn´t resilient. Still I stagger and lurch. Am so frustrated.
  7. bordertangoman

:D

but the "I'm discovering " bit is really important. how to teach autodidactism....
    exploration and invention..
  8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Teach it? I can't even pronounce it.
  9. bordertangoman

come up with a fancy foreign phrase then....

la enseñanza de uno mismo
  10. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Pondering changes in the distance of the embrace and how to make them smooth and musical. Close to open is always a bit jarring. I have no issues with creating clever ways to go back to close.

My teacher told me to try playing with distance during rotational steps and the turn. We'll see how that works.
  11. bordertangoman

Dai the Dactic was a Welsh tango teacher...

I'm working on giros in vals and altaraciones
  12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

There are some move that offer a chance to fetch the girl again: side steps and cross steps (ochos).
  13. Subliminal

I like both of those options! But I am trying to improve the other direction. Sending her out. :)
  14. Subliminal

In other news, I am dancing toe-first again for most steps. Feels good now, my teacher says it is more gentle. I think I had to do heel first for a few years to understand my balance and stride; now I feel more like I can play with it.
  15. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

No way... not with all those vowels in the name!

Although I suppose Dai Dactic could be a transliteration of Llangllactc
  16. bordertangoman

at a tangent, or maybe a flight of fantasy;

the Welsh School of Tango disbanded after one of its moves the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch* a long sequence of steps, was never by mastered by anyone excpet Dai the Dactic himself.

The Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch roughly translates into: "Entrada with a quebrada, followed by two very fast back ochos, with enrosques, arrastre, cruzada, traspie to left, and all done wearing a red dress" and often resulted into bumping into a wall..

[size=-4]*The name means: [St] Mary's Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) [and] the church of [St] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch).[/size]
  17. AndaBien

Isn't that near to a rainbow?
  18. bordertangoman

oh yes St Tsylio was famous for having a rainbow instead of a halo...
  19. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Well if the person who isn't leading is supposed to wear the red dress while not leading the non-follower, I'm not surprised that it was never mastered...
  20. Nina22

Nina22 Member

What I'm working on

Always keeping my axis, always, always, always. Except if the move takes you elsewhere of course ;) .

I want to be the strongest most independent follower completely absorbed in the connection with my partner.

Gotta love tango :notworth: